Solving for Tangent Lines: Analytical and Graphical Approaches

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem using both graphical and analytical methods. The speaker uses GeoGebra to graphically solve the problem, and then uses the point-slope formula to obtain an equation for a tangent line to the parabola at a specific point. The conversation then discusses how to use the point (3,1) to determine which values of "a" will work for the tangent line. The problem is ultimately solved using this method.
brochesspro
Homework Statement
Find the equations of the two lines through the point ##(3, 1)## that are tangent to the curve ##y = x^2 - 4##. Hint: Draw the graph, let ##(a, a^2 - 4)## be the point of tangency, and find ##a##.
Relevant Equations
Given below.
1641411415668.png

I did it graphically by using GeoGebra.
1641411475660.png

My question is that what can I do to solve it analytically/algebraically. I used the point-slope formula and obtained $$\frac {y - (a^2-4)} {x - a} = 2a$$, which implies that ##y = (2a)x + (-a^2-4)##.

I am not sure how to proceed from here onwards. Please help me solve this problem. I will see you in about 7 and a half hours.

Physics news on Phys.org
That gives you the equation of a line tangent to the parabola for ##x=a##. (Check your work. You made a sign mistake.) Now you need to use the fact that you only want the lines that also pass through the point (3,1). That will allow you to determine which specific values of ##a## work.

vela said:
That gives you the equation of a line tangent to the parabola at any point. (Check your work. You made a sign mistake.) Now you need to use the fact that you only want the lines that pass through the point (3,1). That will allow you to determine which specific values of ##a## work.
I see, I got the required points and the question is solved. Thank you.

1. What is the equation of a tangent line?

The equation of a tangent line is a mathematical expression that represents the slope of a curve at a specific point. It is written in the form y=mx+b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to first find the slope of the curve at the given point. This can be done by taking the derivative of the curve at that point. Then, plug the slope and the coordinates of the point into the equation y=mx+b to find the y-intercept. This will give you the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the relationship between the derivative and the equation of a tangent line?

The derivative of a curve at a specific point represents the slope of the curve at that point. This slope is the same as the slope of the tangent line at that point. Therefore, the derivative can be used to find the equation of the tangent line.

4. Can there be more than one tangent line to a curve at a given point?

Yes, there can be multiple tangent lines to a curve at a given point. This happens when the curve has a sharp turn or a point of inflection at that point. In these cases, the curve may have two or more tangent lines with different slopes at the same point.

5. How can the equation of a tangent line be used to approximate the value of a function?

The equation of a tangent line can be used to approximate the value of a function at a certain point. By plugging in the x-coordinate of the point into the equation, you can find the corresponding y-coordinate, which is an approximation of the actual value of the function at that point. This is useful in applications such as physics and engineering, where precise values are not always necessary.