Any thoughts on Oak Ridge Laboratories?

• Thread starter ballistikk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
In summary: I don't mean the extensive security check. I mean your "regular" checks are still more extensive than someone wanting to work or visit Argonne, for example. We had foreign nationals (from none sensitive countries) having to apply almost 3 months in advance just to visit Los Alamos for a day in the civilian area. Here at Argonne, we barely require 3 weeks for the same case.Zz.
ballistikk
I'm thinking about UT-Knoxville, and I've been doing some research on Oak Ridge. I'm wondering if anyone has some opinions about the place.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oak Ridge, like Los Alamos, has a considerable DoD research and so, a tighter security background check.

The Spallation Neutron Source is being built and scheduled to start soon. So if you're into condensed matter and want to do neutron scattering studies of material, this would be THE place to be in a few years.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Oak Ridge, like Los Alamos, has a considerable DoD research and so, a tighter security background check.

The Spallation Neutron Source is being built and scheduled to start soon. So if you're into condensed matter and want to do neutron scattering studies of material, this would be THE place to be in a few years.

Zz.

In the case of Los Alamos, major security background checks are only done when the work you're doing requires clearance. Even in my division (where most people are doing DoD work) students doing unclassified work who don't need clearance do not have to go through security background checks (even including foreign nationals). Of course, we're not even allowed in the building where the rest of our division has their offices though.

franznietzsche said:
In the case of Los Alamos, major security background checks are only done when the work you're doing requires clearance. Even in my division (where most people are doing DoD work) students doing unclassified work who don't need clearance do not have to go through security background checks (even including foreign nationals). Of course, we're not even allowed in the building where the rest of our division has their offices though.

I don't mean the extensive security check. I mean your "regular" checks are still more extensive than someone wanting to work or visit Argonne, for example. We had foreign nationals (from none sensitive countries) having to apply almost 3 months in advance just to visit Los Alamos for a day in the civilian area. Here at Argonne, we barely require 3 weeks for the same case.

Zz.

FAQ: Any thoughts on Oak Ridge Laboratories?

1. What is Oak Ridge Laboratories?

Oak Ridge Laboratories is a national research laboratory located in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. It was established in 1943 as part of the Manhattan Project and is currently managed by the U.S. Department of Energy.

2. What type of research is conducted at Oak Ridge Laboratories?

Oak Ridge Laboratories conducts research in various fields, including nuclear energy, materials science, high-performance computing, and national security. It is also home to several user facilities, such as the Spallation Neutron Source and the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility.

3. How is Oak Ridge Laboratories funded?

Oak Ridge Laboratories is primarily funded by the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Science. It also receives funding from other government agencies and private organizations for specific research projects.

4. What are some notable achievements of Oak Ridge Laboratories?

Oak Ridge Laboratories has made significant contributions to scientific research, including the development of the first nuclear reactor, the discovery of new elements, and the creation of the world's fastest supercomputers. It has also been involved in national security efforts, such as the production of plutonium for nuclear weapons during World War II.

5. Can members of the public visit Oak Ridge Laboratories?

Yes, Oak Ridge Laboratories offers tours for the public and educational programs for students and teachers. However, due to the sensitive nature of some research conducted at the laboratory, certain areas may not be accessible to visitors. Advance reservations are required for tours.