How do I implement convolution of 3 functions in Matlab via FFT?

In summary, convolution of 3 functions is a mathematical operation represented by the symbol * that combines three functions to produce a new function. To calculate it, you need to integrate the product of the three functions and evaluate the result at a specific value. It has applications in signal and image processing, physics, and other fields. It has important properties, such as commutativity, distributivity, identity, and associativity. It is also closely related to Fourier transform, where convolution in the time domain is equivalent to multiplication in the frequency domain.
kamru007
Hi, I need help about the convolution of 3 functions as shown in

attached file via FFT. Specially I need help about the Matlab

implementation of whole process.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Kamru

Attachments

• thrd1.pdf
    124.8 KB · Views: 244
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In Matlab there is a conv(u,v) function where u and v are your vectors. I think you have to write the vectors in complex form (as in the form with imaginary numbers). Matlab uses "j" i think instead of "i"

What is convolution of 3 functions?

Convolution of 3 functions is a mathematical operation that combines three functions to produce a new function. It is represented by the symbol * and is used in various scientific fields, such as signal processing, image processing, and physics.

How is convolution of 3 functions calculated?

To calculate convolution of 3 functions, you first need to define the three functions, let's call them f(x), g(x), and h(x). Then, you need to integrate the product of f(x) and g(x) with respect to a variable, let's call it t. Finally, you need to evaluate the result at the value of h(x-t) and integrate again with respect to t. The final result is the convolution of the three functions.

What are the applications of convolution of 3 functions?

Convolution of 3 functions has many applications in science and engineering. It is commonly used in signal and image processing to extract information from noisy signals and images. It is also used in physics to calculate the response of a system to an input signal. Additionally, it has applications in probability and statistics, as well as in the field of machine learning.

What are the properties of convolution of 3 functions?

Convolution of 3 functions has several important properties. It is commutative, which means that changing the order of the functions does not affect the result. It is also distributive, meaning that it follows the same rules as multiplication. Additionally, it has an identity property, where the convolution of a function with a delta function results in the original function. Finally, it has an associative property, where the convolution of three functions can be grouped in any way without changing the result.

How is convolution of 3 functions related to Fourier transform?

Convolution of 3 functions is closely related to Fourier transform, which is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its individual frequency components. In fact, convolution in the time domain is equivalent to multiplication in the frequency domain. This relationship is used in many applications, such as in digital signal processing and image filtering.