Proof of PSF quadratic factorising

In summary, the thread discusses the proof of the PSF factorising method for quadratic equations, specifically in the simplest case where there are no common factors for a, b, and c. The proof involves finding rational roots and using simultaneous equations to prove that there is only one pair of numbers that can satisfy the conditions. The proof was developed by a high school maths tutor to gain a better understanding of the topic.
bairdos
Hi! I came across the below thread where a user ('krackers') asked for a proof of the PSF factorising method for quadratic equations.
The thread is now closed so I'd like to post my proof here.
(The proof considers the simplest case where there are no common factors for a,b,c in the quadratic. A proof for cases with a common factor can easily be created with the same structure as below with a common factor 'd' added.)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=621835

Given a polynomial ax^2 + bx + c = 0 there are rational roots if (b^2 - 4ac) is 0 or a positive square number
The rational factors can be written as p/q and m/n (fractions in simplest form)
therefore the polynomial can be written as (x-p/q)(x-m/n) = 0
multiplying by qn: (qx-p)(nx-m) = 0
which becomes nqx^2 - mqx -npx + mp = 0
so a = nq, c =mp and b is the sum of the middle terms (-mq and -np)
note that a*c= mnpq and that the product of the two numbers (-mq) and (-np) is also mnpq
so therefore if the polynomial has rational roots then there must be two numbers (-mq and -np) that add to give 'b' and multiply to give the product of 'a' and 'c'.
These numbers can be found by trial and error (because m,n,p,q are all integers)

To prove that there is only and only one pair of numbers S,T you can solve the simultaneous equations: S + T = b, ST = ac
(using the quadratic formula and the condition that (b^2-4ac) is 0 or a positive square number)
(of course there can only be one pair of numbers because otherwise there would be more than one factorisation of the polynomial resulting in there being multiple possible sets of roots).

I developed this proof because I felt it was my obligation as a high school maths tutor to understand why everything that I teach works :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Addendum (I'm a newbie and couldn't see a way to edit the original post):

I wondered why S,T always turn out to be integers when you calculate them by solving simultaneous equations.
The formulas for S,T are (-b+root(b^2-4ac))/2 and (-b-root(b^2-4ac)/2).
The trick is that b^2-4ac is only even if b is even so the numerator of each fraction consists of two even numbers added or subtracted together. In both cases this gives an even number which is halved to give an integer.
Similarly b^2-4ac is only even if b is odd and the numerator of each fraction consists of two odd numbers added or subtracted together. This also gives an even number in both cases which is halved to give an integer.

Ahh, closure.

1. What is "Proof of PSF quadratic factorising"?

Proof of PSF quadratic factorising is a mathematical concept used to factorize quadratic equations. It involves finding two binomials that when multiplied together, result in the original quadratic equation.

2. Why is "Proof of PSF quadratic factorising" important?

Proof of PSF quadratic factorising is important because it allows us to simplify and solve complex quadratic equations, making them easier to understand and work with in various mathematical applications.

3. What are the steps involved in "Proof of PSF quadratic factorising"?

The steps involved in Proof of PSF quadratic factorising are:

• 1. Write the quadratic equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0.
  • 2. Find the product of a and c (ac).
  • 3. Find two numbers (p and q) whose sum is equal to b and whose product is equal to ac.
  • 4. Rewrite the quadratic equation as ax^2 + px + qx + c = 0.
  • 5. Group the first two terms together and the last two terms together.
  • 6. Factor each group separately.
  • 7. Write the final factored form as (ax + p)(x + q) = 0.

4. Can "Proof of PSF quadratic factorising" be used for all quadratic equations?

Yes, Proof of PSF quadratic factorising can be used for all quadratic equations as long as the equation is in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0 and a, b, and c are real numbers.

5. How is "Proof of PSF quadratic factorising" different from other methods of solving quadratic equations?

Proof of PSF quadratic factorising is different from other methods of solving quadratic equations because it involves finding two binomials that when multiplied together, result in the original quadratic equation, rather than using formulas or completing the square.