Dashboard Cookies: Woman Bakes Cookies in Car on Hot Day

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, a woman in New Hampshire utilized the blistering heat to bake cookies on the dashboard of her car. She placed cookie dough on trays on her car's dashboard and let them bake while she worked in her air conditioned office. She has been doing this for three years and claims that the temperature needs to be at least 95 degrees for the cookies to bake at approximately 200 degrees. However, some cautionary tales include melted lipstick and deodorant, and ruined items such as crayons, balloons, gummy bears, and chocolate.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.livescience.com/othernews/ap_060804_dashboard_cookies.html
It Was So Hot ... A Woman Baked Cookies in Her Car

By The Associated Press

posted: 04 August 2006
02:03 pm ET

BEDFORD, N.H. (AP)—Blistering heat was just what Sandi Fontaine needed to bake cookies for her co-workers—on the dash of her Toyota Rav4.
With temperatures soaring Wednesday, Fontaine placed two trays of cookie dough on the dashboard, shut the doors and retreated inside to her air conditioned office.

"My husband wanted me to run some errands this morning,'' said Fontaine, who works at Baldwin and Clarke Corporate Finance. "I said, 'I can't. I'm baking cookies.'''

Fontaine first tested her dashboard oven three years ago. She said anyone can do it; the only requirement is for the outside temperature to be at least 95 degrees, so it will rise to about 200 degrees in the car. Temperatures in the area reached the mid to upper 90s on Wednesday.
I'm tempted to try this if it heats up again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
http://www.livescience.com/othernews/ap_060804_dashboard_cookies.html

I'm tempted to try this if it heats up again.
You should see what it does to your lipstick. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, I found that out the hard way once. :frown:

How long do you have to bake cookies at 200 degrees for them to be done? Fresh baked cookie smell...that's got to be way better than one of those pine tree air fresheners!

Moonbear said:
How long do you have to bake cookies at 200 degrees for them to be done? Fresh baked cookie smell...that's got to be way better than one of those pine tree air fresheners!
That is what I was wondering. Did she overcook them since she was at work all day?

Evo said:
You should see what it does to your lipstick. :cry:

I found out what it does to a stick of deodorant. It made a nice fresh scented puddle of goop inside my arm rest. My car smelled fresh for weeks afterwards.

Never leave crayons in a hot car either. Or balloons.

or gummie bears

or CHOCOLATE :cry:

1. How does baking cookies in a car work?

When the temperature outside is hot, the inside of a car can reach temperatures of up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. This extreme heat creates the perfect environment for baking cookies. The heat from the sun is trapped inside the car, essentially turning it into an oven.

2. Are the cookies safe to eat after being baked in a car?

Yes, the cookies are safe to eat as long as they are not exposed to any contaminants during the baking process. It is important to make sure the car is clean and free of any harmful chemicals before baking the cookies.

3. How long does it take to bake cookies in a car?

The baking time can vary depending on the outside temperature and the type of cookie dough used. On a hot day, it can take anywhere from 2-4 hours for the cookies to fully bake. It is important to monitor the cookies to ensure they do not burn.

4. Can any type of cookie dough be used for baking in a car?

Yes, any type of cookie dough can be used for baking in a car. However, it is best to avoid doughs with ingredients that can spoil in high heat, such as dairy products. It is also important to use a recipe that is specifically designed for baking in a car to ensure the cookies turn out properly.

5. Is baking cookies in a car a safe and effective method?

Baking cookies in a car can be a fun and unique experience, but it is important to take precautions to ensure safety. Make sure the car is parked in a safe location and that the cookies are not exposed to any harmful chemicals. It is also important to monitor the cookies closely to prevent burning. As for effectiveness, baking cookies in a car can yield delicious results, but it may not be as consistent as traditional baking methods.

Back