IR Phototransistor Emitter and Detector Questions

In summary: In that case, you may need to replace the transistor with a diode. If you are trying to control something with an IR remote control, you will need to find a suitable receiver and learn how to use it.
dionysian
I recently bought a phototransistor emitter and detector from radio shack: http://www.radioshack.com/sm-matched-infrared-emitter-and-phototransistor-detector--pi-2049723.html . It didn't come with much instruction but i thought i could simply put a voltage across the emitter and the detector would simply detect it and induce a voltage across its leads. However, when i actualy do this it doesn't seem to work. I made sure i put the proper polarity across the anode and cathode of the emitter but nothing happens. ... Any ideas? Does anyone have information or recomendation on IR remote controlls? This is not for any specific project, but i just want to learn how to use IR. I have tryed looking this up online but suprisingly i have not found much good information. If someone could direct me to a good resource i would appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
dionysian said:
I recently bought a phototransistor emitter and detector from radio shack: http://www.radioshack.com/sm-matched-infrared-emitter-and-phototransistor-detector--pi-2049723.html . It didn't come with much instruction but i thought i could simply put a voltage across the emitter and the detector would simply detect it and induce a voltage across its leads. However, when i actualy do this it doesn't seem to work. I made sure i put the proper polarity across the anode and cathode of the emitter but nothing happens. ... Any ideas? Does anyone have information or recomendation on IR remote controlls? This is not for any specific project, but i just want to learn how to use IR. I have tryed looking this up online but suprisingly i have not found much good information. If someone could direct me to a good resource i would appreciate it.

You bought a phototransistor detector rather than a solar cell, so it won't generate a voltage on its own. Bias the phototransistor as you would a regular transistor (collector positive with respect to emitter, assuming it's NPN). There is no base lead. Photons falling on the base region generate charge carriers through the photoelectric effect, and the base is so thin that they diffuse into the collector region and are swept into your circuit. What you should see is no current flowing when dark, and current proportional to the brightness when exposed to light.

Make sure you put a resistor or load in series with the collector to limit the current.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
The RS link you gave says the detector is a phototransistor.
You will need a resistor and power supply for the detector.
A 1000 ohm resistor and 9v battery should work.
You measure the voltage change across the transistor or resistor.
Be careful to use the correct battery polarity.

"It didn't come with much instruction but i thought i could simply put a voltage across the emitter..."
The emitter is a LED. The spec. is 2volts at 40mA so you will need a current limiting resistor. If you can't get an output from your detector transistor, then you may have "blown" the LED.

Related to IR Phototransistor Emitter and Detector Questions

1. What is an IR phototransistor emitter and detector?

An IR phototransistor emitter and detector is a type of electronic component that emits and detects infrared light. It consists of an infrared light-emitting diode (LED) and a phototransistor, which is a type of transistor that responds to changes in light.

2. How does an IR phototransistor emitter and detector work?

The IR LED emits infrared light, which is then reflected off of an object or surface and received by the phototransistor. The phototransistor then converts the light into an electrical signal, which can be used by other electronic components.

3. What are the applications of IR phototransistor emitter and detector?

IR phototransistor emitter and detector are commonly used in sensors, such as proximity sensors, object detection sensors, and line-following sensors. They are also used in remote controls, security systems, and communication devices.

4. How is an IR phototransistor emitter and detector different from a regular phototransistor?

The main difference between an IR phototransistor emitter and detector and a regular phototransistor is the type of light they detect. IR phototransistors are specifically designed to detect infrared light, while regular phototransistors can detect a wider range of visible light.

5. What are the advantages of using an IR phototransistor emitter and detector?

Some advantages of using an IR phototransistor emitter and detector include their low cost, small size, and low power consumption. They are also highly sensitive to changes in light and can operate in a wide range of temperatures and environments.