Rigorous Intro to analysis/calculus

In summary, Spivak's book is one of the most rigorous and informative books on calculus. Other good ones that compare to it are Calculus (books 1 and 2) by Tom M. Apostolrudin's principles of analysis (baby rudin), goursat's course of mathematical analysis, and several old books from the early days of rigorous analysis, like g.h. hardy's pure mathematics, and some others you can find in the library.
tgt
One is Spivak's book. What are other good ones which compare to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculus (books 1 and 2) by Tom M. Apostol

rudin's principles of analysis (baby rudin), goursat's course of mathematical analysis, and several old books from the early days of rigorous analysis, like g.h. hardy's pure mathematics, and some others you can find in the library.

joseph kitchen also has a very rigorous calculus book as spoivak's is. another excellent calculus book with more rigor than average is courant or courant and john.

all these questions are answered in detail in the first few pages of who wants to be..?

one of the most rigorous is dieudonne's foundations of modern analysis.

If like me, you ever find yourself entering a second year rigorous calculus class without having prepared sufficiently in a first year rigorous calculus class, you may as I did, find useful the 20 page or so summary of first year rigorous calculus in the appendix of the book by wendell fleming, calculus of several variables.

Last edited:
hah I was just going to recommend Spivak. I took honors calc as a freshman for 3 quarters and we used it- very interesting, *tough* material. Thankfully none of the tests were as hard as the problem sets.

Why are you looking for an alternative, out of curiousity?

well there is no physics ion there and no applications of any kind. so courant might be a good supplement.

Joskoplas said:
Calculus (books 1 and 2) by Tom M. Apostol

I'd rather poke my eyes out than read that crap compiled by Apostol. Obstruse elementary mathematics, it was pushed down my throat in grade 11. Atleast Spivak had substance, Apostol just talked in circles in his own little world. The only thing I got from Apostol was history. Save rigor for analysis, and learn calculus from application (ie. the reason it was invented). See Real Analysis by Pugh, the book I'm currently reading.

Anyone tried "Fundamentals of Mathematical Analysis" by Rod Haggarty?

khemix, maybe apostol is not as much fun as spivak, but it is very scholarly and any strong student will greatly benefit from it.

well actually your post does put the blame where it belongs if you read it twice, namely on your teacher and your preparation, not on apostol. unfortunately you attributed your bad experience to the book, not to your lack of readiness for it.

but that's all right. you are well served by spivak. but apostol is a great book for the right student and teacher. it was the first book used by one of my best colleagues at MIT, and he liked it fine. i also used it for returning high school teachers one summer and was very impressed by it. but it is an odd choice for eleventh graders.

as to rigor, here's a tiny example, compare the proofs of the intermediate value theorem in apostol to that in spivak. see which is clearer. to me apostol was a bit simpler and better, although both are rigorous.

one fine feature of apostol is that he denies the student the crutch of starting out using the fundamental theorem to do integral calculus, and thus insures ones learning the meaning of integration. i.e. he does integration first, as it should be done. when the derivative is done first, hundreds of years out of order and context, the average student never again makes any effort to understand what the integral means, but always uses antidifferentiation to do integrals.

The student never learns that this approach does not always work, because it is the only one he ever uses. Apostol gives a thorough study of the integral first, so the student learns that the integral really is something quite distinct from an antiderivative, and can be studied very thoroughly without derivatives. Then when the derivative is introduced and the FTC, it really is a connection between two different ideas, both of which the student has learned.

In the usual approach the student never learns what an integral is, and no amount of explanation can make it clear after the fact. Once the average student has the FTC, he will never again listen to an explanation of what an integral is. Then when he meets an integral that cannot be done by the FTC he is lost.

Indeed many students even think that a step function is not integrable because it is not continuous and so the FTC does not apply. How foolish is this? That's like saying a figure made of two rectangles does not have area!

apostol gives the proof, due to Newton, that any monotone function is integrable. this very easy proof makes the idea of integrability quite clear, and shows it is not dependent on continuity. most books omit this theorem, and rely instead on a less easy one that all continuous functions are integrable, which they then leave to the appendix, or leave out altogether.

spivak's approach is to do the hard technical theorems first, allowing him to prove that continuity does imply integrability. this is now a standard advanced approach, but i think apostol's historical one is even better pedagogically.

by the way notice that Newton, the man who invented calculus for application, also supplied the rigorous proof mentioned above. rigor is a tool for making sure the applications we make are actually correct.

I suggest you try to realize that just because you yourself had trouble learning something at one point, it may not be because the book was a bad one. maybe you just tried to read it too early in your career. otherwise you run the risk of closing yourself off from some great sources that will be accessible to you later.

Last edited:
Likes EspadayDaga

Related to Rigorous Intro to analysis/calculus

1. What is the difference between analysis and calculus?

Analysis and calculus are closely related branches of mathematics. Analysis is a more abstract and theoretical approach to studying functions and their properties. It focuses on the underlying concepts and principles of calculus, such as limits, continuity, and differentiability. Calculus, on the other hand, is a more applied branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It uses the tools and techniques developed in analysis to solve problems related to rates of change, optimization, and integration.

2. What topics are typically covered in a rigorous introductory analysis/calculus course?

A rigorous introductory analysis/calculus course will cover topics such as limits, continuity, derivatives, integrals, sequences and series, and multivariable calculus. It will also include a strong emphasis on proofs and mathematical rigor, as well as applications to real-world problems.

3. What skills are necessary to be successful in a rigorous introductory analysis/calculus course?

To be successful in a rigorous introductory analysis/calculus course, students should have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and precalculus. They should also have good critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. A strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to communicate mathematical ideas clearly are also important.

4. How does a rigorous introductory analysis/calculus course prepare students for advanced mathematics courses?

A rigorous introductory analysis/calculus course is essential for students who want to pursue advanced mathematics courses. It provides a solid foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques, as well as the skills necessary for rigorous mathematical reasoning and proof writing. It also introduces students to the fundamental ideas and methods used in higher-level mathematics courses, such as abstract algebra, topology, and differential equations.

5. How can I apply the concepts learned in a rigorous introductory analysis/calculus course to real-world problems?

The concepts and techniques learned in a rigorous introductory analysis/calculus course have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. For example, derivatives are used to calculate the slope of a curve, which is important in determining the rate of change in physical systems. Integrals are used to calculate the area under a curve, which is essential in solving optimization problems. Overall, the skills and knowledge gained from a rigorous introductory analysis/calculus course are highly transferable and can be applied to many real-world problems.