What Is the Current in a Rotating Electron Model of a Hydrogen Atom?

In summary, The conversation is about using a simple model of the hydrogen atom to estimate the loop current, dipole-moment, and magnetic field. The speaker is struggling with the first part and asks for help. They mention using the formula I=NevA, but are unsure how to apply it.
coffeem
Hi I have tried the question below. However I am failing at the first hurdle part a! Some help and advice would certaintly be appretiated. Thanks

Taking a simple model of the hydrogen atom as an electron rotating around the nucleus in a circle or radius 0.53ee-10m at a frequency of 0.66ee16Hz, estimate:

a) The look current,

b) The magnitude of the dipole-moment of the loop,

c) The magnitude and ridection of the magnetic field at a distance of 2ee-9m, from the center of the loop.

For part (a) I tried using the formula: I = NevA, however this gave me an answer which was many orders of magnitude wrong lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
The loop current is just the rate at which charge is a passing a point in the loop. The electron passes every point 0.66E16 times per second. How much current is that? I don't know what the formula I=NevA is referring to.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, any advice would be appreciated.

For part (a), you are on the right track by using the formula I = NevA. However, it seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculations. Let's break down the formula and how to use it in this scenario.

I = current (in Amperes)
N = number of turns in the loop (1 in this case)
e = elementary charge (1.6 x 10^-19 Coulombs)
v = velocity of the electron (in meters per second)
A = area of the loop (in square meters)

To calculate the current, we need to find the velocity and area of the loop. The velocity can be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where ω is the angular frequency (0.66 x 10^16 radians per second) and r is the radius of the loop (0.53 x 10^-10 meters). This gives us a velocity of approximately 3.5 x 10^6 meters per second.

Next, we need to calculate the area of the loop. Since the loop is circular, we can use the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the loop. This gives us an area of approximately 8.8 x 10^-20 square meters.

Plugging these values into the formula I = NevA, we get a current of approximately 5.5 x 10^-13 Amperes. This may seem like a small number, but keep in mind that we are dealing with a single electron in a very small loop.

For part (b), we can use the formula μ = NIπr^2, where μ is the dipole moment, N is the number of turns (1 in this case), and r is the radius of the loop. This gives us a dipole moment of approximately 1.5 x 10^-28 Coulomb-meters.

For part (c), we can use the formula B = μ0I/2πr^3, where μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π x 10^-7 Tesla-meters per Ampere), I is the current, and r is the distance from the center of the loop. Plugging in the values, we get a magnetic field of approximately 3.4 x 10^-8 Tesla, directed along the axis of the loop.

I

Related to What Is the Current in a Rotating Electron Model of a Hydrogen Atom?

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions. It explains how these fields are created, how they interact with each other and with matter, and how they produce electromagnetic radiation.

2. How are electric and magnetic fields related?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and can be thought of as two aspects of the same phenomenon. An electric field is created by stationary or moving charges, while a magnetic field is created by moving charges. When a charged particle moves, it creates both an electric and magnetic field.

3. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two facets of the same force, known as the electromagnetic force. This force is responsible for all electric and magnetic phenomena and their interactions. It explains how electric charges interact with each other and with magnetic fields, and how moving electric charges create magnetic fields.

4. How does electromagnetism relate to everyday life?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. It is the force behind electricity, which powers our homes and electronic devices. It is also responsible for the Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation. Electromagnetism is also used in various technologies, such as MRI machines, motors, and generators.

5. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetism?

There are countless applications of electromagnetism in various fields. Some examples include producing electricity through power plants, transmitting it through power lines, and using it in motors and generators. Electromagnetism is also used in communication technologies, such as radio, television, and cell phones. It is also essential in medical imaging techniques like MRI and in scientific research, such as particle accelerators.