Summing Factorials: Solving the Homework Statement

In summary, the conversation discusses a challenging equation involving a sum of binomial coefficients. The expert suggests expanding (1+1)^100 to find the value of the sum, and provides hints on how to approach the problem. The conversation ends with the suggestion to think about the relationship between (1+1)^100 and the sum of binomial coefficients.
dystplan

Homework Statement

[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{100} 1/n!(100-n)![/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Other then obvious attempts to make sense of the equation's incremental and decrements divisor, I can't figure out where to start with this question. Some assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like it's closely related to the sum of binomial coefficients. What's the sum of C(100,n) for n from 0 to 100? Is that enough of a hint?

C(100,n) being = 100!/n!(100-n)! ? hmmm, unfortunately I don't see where that's going =/

Man this one is throwing me for a loop, only question I haven't managed and due tomorrow.

dystplan said:
C(100,n) being = 100!/n!(100-n)! ? hmmm, unfortunately I don't see where that's going =/

Man this one is throwing me for a loop, only question I haven't managed and due tomorrow.

Yes, that's C(100,n). There is a simple formula for the sum of the binomial coefficients. It's related to the value of (1+1)^100. Don't know it? Expand (1+1)^100 using the binomial theorem.

well; thanks. But I'm still just totally lost. (1+1)^100 is a massive equation when expanded.

Unless... x/y = 0 or 1 in the binomial theorem? That would make it easy.

Makes it = 1/100! ?

dystplan said:
well; thanks. But I'm still just totally lost. (1+1)^100 is a massive equation when expanded.

Oh come on, (1+1)^100=2^100. That's an easy enough number to write down. Now what does that have to do with the sum of the binomial coefficients C(100,n)?? C(100,0)+C(100,1)+...+C(100,100). I'm not asking you to evaluate each one. Just think about it.

wait;

2^100/100!

wait;

2^100/100!

dystplan said:
wait;

2^100/100!

You aren't just guessing, I hope.

FAQ: Summing Factorials: Solving the Homework Statement

1. What is the formula for summing factorials?

The formula for summing factorials is n! = 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n.

2. How do I solve a summing factorials problem?

To solve a summing factorials problem, you must first determine the value of n. Then, plug n into the formula n! = 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n and solve for the sum.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve summing factorials?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve summing factorials. However, it is important to understand the formula and process in order to check your work and understand the concept.

4. What is the purpose of summing factorials?

The purpose of summing factorials is to calculate the sum of a series of numbers in which each number is multiplied by the factorial of its position in the series. This concept is often used in mathematics and computer science.

5. Can summing factorials be used for real-life applications?

Yes, summing factorials can be used in real-life applications such as calculating the probability of certain events, analyzing algorithms, and solving mathematical problems involving combinatorics and permutations.