Sum involving reciprocal of binomial coeffients

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of $$\sum_{r=0}^{n} \frac{r}{\binom{n}{r}}$$ in terms of $$a_n$$ and n, and suggests using the property $$\binom{n}{r} = \binom{n}{n-r}$$ to simplify the expression.
amind

Homework Statement

If $$a_n = \sum_{r=0}^{n} \frac{1}{\binom{n}{r}}$$
Find $$\sum_{r=0}^{n} \frac{r}{\binom{n}{r}}$$ in terms of an and n

2. The attempt at a solution
Let $$f(x) =\sum_{r=0}^{n} \frac{x^r}{\binom{n}{r}}$$
Then, an = f(1).
Observe that f'(1) is the required sum.
I was thinking if I could find an expression for f(x) then I could obtain the required sum, but with no luck.
Other than that I've tried expressing the binomial coefficients in terms of factorials, again in vain. So I am looking for some pointers that don't involve finding an by using Taylor series like I found on Google.

Physics news on Phys.org
amind said:

Homework Statement

If $$a_n = \sum_{r=0}^{n} \frac{1}{\binom{n}{r}}$$
Find $$\sum_{r=0}^{n} \frac{r}{\binom{n}{r}}$$ in terms of an and n

2. The attempt at a solution
Let $$f(x) =\sum_{r=0}^{n} \frac{x^r}{\binom{n}{r}}$$
Then, an = f(1).
Observe that f'(1) is the required sum.
I was thinking if I could find an expression for f(x) then I could obtain the required sum, but with no luck.
Other than that I've tried expressing the binomial coefficients in terms of factorials, again in vain. So I am looking for some pointers that don't involve finding an by using Taylor series like I found on Google.
Hint: notice that ##\displaystyle \frac{r}{\binom{n}{r}}=\frac{r r! (n-r)!}{n!}=\frac{(r+1) r! (n-r)!}{n!}-\frac{1}{\binom{n}{r}}=\frac{(r+1)! (n-r)!}{n!}-\frac{1}{\binom{n}{r}}=\frac{(n+1)(r+1)! (n+1-r-1)!}{(n+1)!}-\frac{1}{\binom{n}{r}}=\frac{n+1}{\binom{n+1}{r+1}}-\frac{1}{\binom{n}{r}}##

Now take the sum for r=0 to r=n and see what it gives.

I got (n+1)*an+1-an-(n+1)
How do I convert an+1 to an ?

amind said:
I got (n+1)*an+1-an-(n+1)
How do I convert an+1 to an ?
I hoped that an expression including ##a_{n+1}## would be acceptable. If not, this is trickier than I thought.
This paper gives a formula for ##a_n## (proof can be found here, the second proof is elementary), and from that you can derive ##a_{n+1}## in terms of ##a_n##. I doubt that this is how this exercise is intended to be solved. There must be an easier way ...

Last edited:
And if you write ##f(r^\frac{1}{r}) = \sum_{r=0}^n \sum_{j=1}^r \frac{1}{C(n,r) }## and exchange the order of summation ? You will have ##f(r^\frac{1}{r})## function of ##a_1,...,a_n## ?

Gotcha, the trick is writing r as n - (n-r) in the first step and then using the property C(n, r) = C (n, n-r)

Likes Samy_A
amind said:
Gotcha, the trick is writing r as n - (n-r) in the first step and then using the property C(n, r) = C (n, n-r)
Nice.

It gives ##\displaystyle \frac{r}{\binom{n}{r}}= \frac{n-(n-r)}{\binom{n}{r}}=\frac{n}{\binom{n}{r}}-\frac{(n-r)}{\binom{n}{n-r}}##, and then taking the sum for r=0 to r=n leads to the result.
Indeed much simpler than actually computing ##a_n##.

1. What is a "sum involving reciprocal of binomial coefficients"?

A sum involving reciprocal of binomial coefficients is a mathematical expression that involves adding terms where each term is the reciprocal (1 divided by) of a binomial coefficient. Binomial coefficients are the numbers that appear in the expansion of a binomial, such as (a + b)^2 = 1a^2 + 2ab + 1b^2, where the coefficients are 1, 2, and 1.

2. What is the purpose of studying sums involving reciprocal of binomial coefficients?

Studying sums involving reciprocal of binomial coefficients can help us understand the properties and relationships between binomial coefficients, as well as providing a way to express more complex mathematical expressions in a simpler form. It can also have applications in probability and combinatorics.

3. What is the formula for calculating a sum involving reciprocal of binomial coefficients?

The formula for calculating a sum involving reciprocal of binomial coefficients is: ∑(k=0,n) 1/(n choose k) = 2^n, where n is the number of terms in the sum. This formula is known as the "Hockey-Stick Identity" and can be used to solve many types of sums involving binomial coefficients.

4. Can sums involving reciprocal of binomial coefficients be simplified?

Yes, sums involving reciprocal of binomial coefficients can often be simplified using algebraic manipulation or by using identities such as the Hockey-Stick Identity. This can result in a simpler expression that is easier to work with and can help reveal patterns and relationships between the terms.

5. What are some real-world applications of sums involving reciprocal of binomial coefficients?

Sums involving reciprocal of binomial coefficients have applications in many areas of mathematics, such as probability, combinatorics, and number theory. They can also be used in practical applications, such as calculating the odds of winning a game of chance or determining the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario.