Surround Decoder: Get Started in Matlab - Hello Science Fellows

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter gooz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decoder
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of creating a surround decoder in Matlab. The speaker is looking for guidance on how to get started and what kind of test they could apply. However, another speaker points out that surround sound is a complex concept and shares information about how it works, mentioning Dolby Pro-Logic and different types of surround processing. They also mention being unfamiliar with Matlab.
gooz
Hello science fellows!
I have a problem.I would like to do surround decoder in Matlab.Does enybody knows how to do it?How should I get started?What kind of test could I apply:simple sine signal in .m file or some .wav file?
Many thanks for help

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but this somehow relate to surround sound?. I thought that was just your basic sterio with front, back, left, right speakers.

Surround sound comes in many flavors today but think back to the days of "Dolby Pro-Logic" and how it worked. Movie tracks were recorded on the filmstrip in 4 channels intended for left, center, right speakers behind the perforated screen and one surround channel to be played on the speaker array on the walls/ceiling/rear of the theater.

Since the job of the center was primarily for dialog and to assist in action that moves offscreen across to the other offscreen it was mixed onto the left and right as a mono signal in-phase. The surround was mixed as a mono signal out-of-phase on both left and right channels. The left and right were untouched aside from having an additional signal added to them.

So the decoder's job was to separate out mono in-phase and out-of-phase signals and send them to the appropriate speaker and then subtract this from the L/R and send those signals to the appropriate speakers as well. Some surround processors like a Fosgate Model 3 would decorrelate the surround channel to help create a more lifelike sound and things continue to develop from there. With Dolby AC-3's 5.1 and DTS and so on its a game of little post-processing.

No idea about Matlab though...

Cliff

1. What is a surround decoder?

A surround decoder is a digital signal processing algorithm used to decode surround sound audio signals into individual channels, such as left, right, center, and surround channels. It is commonly used in audio systems to recreate a more immersive listening experience.

2. What is Matlab?

Matlab is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific and engineering fields. It allows for efficient data analysis, visualization, and prototyping of algorithms.

3. How can I get started with surround decoder in Matlab?

To get started with surround decoder in Matlab, you can begin by familiarizing yourself with the basics of Matlab programming, such as data types, variables, and functions. Then, you can explore built-in functions and toolboxes related to digital signal processing and audio processing. There are also many online tutorials and resources available to help you get started.

4. What are the benefits of using surround decoder in Matlab?

Using surround decoder in Matlab allows for efficient and customizable decoding of surround sound audio signals. It also offers various tools and functions for manipulating and analyzing audio data, making it a powerful tool for audio processing and research.

5. Can surround decoder in Matlab be used for real-time processing?

Yes, surround decoder in Matlab can be used for real-time processing, as it offers efficient and optimized functions for processing audio signals in real-time. However, the performance may vary depending on the complexity of the algorithm and the processing power of the computer or device being used.