Question regarding non flow steam process

In summary, the conversation discussed a question about the expansion cycle in a steam engine cylinder and the use of the steam table to find the values of vf and vg. The value of the index n was asked, but the speaker struggled to find it due to the absence of 0.28 Mpa on the steam table. A suggestion was made to use a better set of steam tables and to utilize Google for assistance.
kanzeon1
Hi There, quite an informative forum.Im struggling with a question which reads as follows:
At a certain point during the expansion cycle in a steam engine cylinder, the steam pressure was 1.1 MPa and the dryness 0.85, At the end of the expansion process the pressure was 0.28Mpa and the dryness 0.80, assume that the expansion obeys the law PV^n=C.

The value of the the n, index is asked. I am struggling to find it.
I used the steam table to get the values of vf and vg for a pressure of P1 1100kPa and used the formula v= xvg +(1-x)vf and get v= 0.15m^3/kg, I can't find the value 0.28Mpa=280kPa on the steam table and i can't get v2 which will allow me to calculate the index n by using P1V1^n=P2V2^n as the steam will be behaving like a ideal gas as i understand it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Any tutorials with worked out examples on non flow steam processes that anybody can make available to me?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Atmospheric pressure is 101.325 kPa. Your exhaust steam is 280 kPa. Get a better set of steam tables. Hint: Google is your friend.

Thanks for the hint, helped me a lot :)

1. What is a non-flow steam process?

A non-flow steam process is a thermodynamic process in which the amount of steam present in a system remains constant, meaning there is no flow of steam in or out of the system. This can occur in closed systems where the steam is continually recycled, such as in power plants or industrial processes.

2. How does a non-flow steam process differ from a flow steam process?

A flow steam process involves a continuous flow of steam into and out of a system, while a non-flow steam process does not. In a flow steam process, the amount of steam in the system can vary, while in a non-flow process, it remains constant.

3. What are some examples of non-flow steam processes?

Some examples of non-flow steam processes include steam turbines in power plants, steam engines in locomotives, and steam-driven machinery in industrial processes. These systems use the same steam over and over again, without any new steam being added or removed.

4. What are the advantages of a non-flow steam process?

One advantage of a non-flow steam process is that it can be more efficient than a flow steam process, as there is no need to continually heat new steam. This can result in cost savings and reduced energy consumption. Additionally, non-flow steam processes can be more environmentally friendly, as they produce fewer emissions.

5. Are there any limitations to non-flow steam processes?

One limitation of non-flow steam processes is that they are not suitable for all systems. In some cases, a flow of steam may be necessary for the system to function properly. Additionally, non-flow steam processes may be more complex and require more advanced equipment, making them more expensive to implement.