Opamp - preceded by a unity buffer

In summary, the component values for the circuit are Rf = 27kΩ and C = 1/(2∏ * 1khz * 27kΩF). The unity gain buffer does not significantly affect the calculations or behavior of the opamp in this circuit. However, in a more complex circuit or in a SPICE simulation, the output impedance of the buffer may need to be taken into account.
kimandrew20

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the component values(Rf and C) for the circuit given. The circuit must be designed so that it has a cut-off frequency of 1khz and a low frequency magnitude gain of 1. I know how to do it if i ignore the unity buffer in front but I'm not sure how to incorporate the unity buffer into my working.

Homework Equations

wb = 1/CRf

The Attempt at a Solution

1/CRf = 2 * 1khz
Rf/Ri = 1 so Rf = Ri which means Rf = 27kΩ
C = 1/(2∏ * 1khz * 27kΩF)
question.png

Physics news on Phys.org
kimandrew20 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the component values(Rf and C) for the circuit given. The circuit must be designed so that it has a cut-off frequency of 1khz and a low frequency magnitude gain of 1. I know how to do it if i ignore the unity buffer in front but I'm not sure how to incorporate the unity buffer into my working.

Homework Equations

wb = 1/CRf

The Attempt at a Solution

1/CRf = 2 * 1khz
Rf/Ri = 1 so Rf = Ri which means Rf = 27kΩ
C = 1/(2∏ * 1khz * 27kΩF)View attachment 58405

Looks like you have done it correctly. The unity gain buffer just let's you ignore the output impedance of the signal source, since the buffer's output impedance is low compared to the 50 Ohms of a typical signal generator (or much higher impedance of other signal sources like microphones).

Thanks for the response Berkeman!

So does this mean that the presence of the buffer doesn't really change any calculations for the behavior of the opamp? Like, if I were to draw a bode plot for the second opamp, it wouldn't be affected by the presence of the unity buffer?

kimandrew20 said:
Thanks for the response Berkeman!

So does this mean that the presence of the buffer doesn't really change any calculations for the behavior of the opamp? Like, if I were to draw a bode plot for the second opamp, it wouldn't be affected by the presence of the unity buffer?

Let's say that you were modeling this with SPICE as part of a product design. You would then have a different impedance to add in series between an ideal voltage source -- either the output impedance of the buffer or the output impedance of the real signal source. Since those impedances add with the input resistor of the 2nd stage, they will give you different errors in the Bode plot. The unity gain buffer version probably will give you negligible errors in this case.

I am not sure what you mean by "preceded by a unity buffer," as a unity buffer does not have any effect on the circuit's frequency response. However, assuming that the unity buffer is simply a voltage follower, the circuit can be analyzed as if it were not present.

To find the component values for the desired frequency response, you can use the standard formula for a low-pass filter: wb = 1/CRf, where wb is the desired cut-off frequency. Since the low frequency magnitude gain is 1, the ratio of Rf to Ri (the input resistor) must also be 1, which means Rf = Ri. Using this information, you can solve for the component values as you have done in your attempt at a solution.

However, if the unity buffer is not a simple voltage follower and has an effect on the circuit's frequency response, then the analysis would need to be adjusted accordingly. It would be helpful to have more information about the unity buffer and its purpose in the circuit to provide a more specific solution.

1. What is an opamp?

An opamp, or operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the input signal and produces an output signal that is much larger in magnitude.

2. What is a unity buffer?

A unity buffer is a type of opamp circuit that has a gain of 1, which means that the output signal is exactly the same as the input signal.

3. How does an opamp - preceded by a unity buffer - work?

The unity buffer serves as a buffer between the input and output of the opamp, ensuring that the input signal is not affected by the impedance of the following circuit. This results in a clean and accurate output signal.

4. What are the benefits of using an opamp - preceded by a unity buffer?

The unity buffer helps to isolate the input signal from the following circuit, preventing any loading effects. It also ensures a high input impedance, which allows for accurate and stable amplification.

5. In what applications is an opamp - preceded by a unity buffer - commonly used?

An opamp - preceded by a unity buffer - is commonly used in signal processing, audio amplification, and measurement and control systems. It is also often used in sensor circuits and feedback control systems.