Solve Multistage Amplifier Homework | Av=Av1*Av2

• Thread starter Drao92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplifier
In summary, the equation for calculating the gain for a transistor with an emitter to resistor connection is R3=3k, R1=50k, and R2=10k.
Drao92

Homework Statement

I want to solve the circuit using the formula Av=Av1*Av2 where Av1 and Av2 are the gains(volts) of the 2 stages and i have some questions.
V2 is equal with -(βIb1+Ib2)*R3=(β+1)Ib2*R5+Ib2*rbe2
Now when i calculate Av1 and Av2 i take each stage separately from circuit (example the 3rd circuit in pic)?

The Attempt at a Solution

The result must be 12.
My solution
Av1=-βR3/(rbe1+(β+1)R4))=-5.86
Av2=-βR6/(rbe2+(β+1)R5))=-1.97
Av=11.56
The error of 0.44 is because of aproximations or i did somthing wrong?
For the second transistor the emitter is to R6 resistor,npn.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58471&stc=1&d=1367681169

Attachments

• Multistage.jpg
    Multistage.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks from your diagram like
R3 = 1K
R4 = 0.5K
R5 = 2K
R6 = 1K
from which the gain is approximately (R3//R2)(R5/R6) = 4
I must be misreading either R3 or R4.
Anyway, the gain computes to an even number only if you assume beta = infinity and r_be1 and r_be2 = 0. This is what people normally do.

R3=3k
R1=50k
R2=10k
Thanks for what did you say, if i limit beta to infinity it gives R3/R2*R5/R6, didnt know this:cool: .
Is it correct to take each stage separately? I ask this because if i take the first stage, i don't have the current which comes from the 2nd stage -Ib2 but because Ib2 is very small current we can ignore it?

Last edited:
Drao92 said:
R3=3k
R1=50k
R2=10k
Thanks for what did you say, if i limit beta to infinity it gives R3/R2*R5/R6, didnt know this:cool: .
Is it correct to take each stage separately? I ask this because if i take the first stage, i don't have the current which comes from the 2nd stage -Ib2 but because Ib2 is very small current we can ignore it?

Exactly right. ib2 = 0 if beta is infinite. I will go on a limb and say always consider beta = infinity IN A PROPERLY-DESIGNED CIRCUIT. Unfortunately, you will often come across non-correctly-designed circuits in textbooks, and for a good reason - they want you to include a finite beta and/or rbe at times just to make sure you understand how to handle these parameters. Once you're working you forget them, typically.

Especially beta. Beta varies so widely FROM ONE TRANSISTOR TO THE NEXT OF THE SAME TYPE that you have to design to beta = infinity. rbe is more predictable but in a properly designed circuit is usually negligible compared to other error sources.

rude man said:
Looks from your diagram like
R3 = 1K
R4 = 0.5K
R5 = 2K
R6 = 1K
from which the gain is approximately (R3//R2)(R5/R6) = 4

Shouldn't the gain be (R3/R4)(R5/R6)?

The Electrician said:
Shouldn't the gain be (R3/R4)(R5/R6)?

Yes. My boo-boo.

I have an ugly writing :wink:.
Thanks everyone for help.

1. What is a multistage amplifier?

A multistage amplifier is an electronic device that consists of two or more amplifier stages connected together in a cascaded manner. Each stage amplifies the signal from the previous stage, resulting in a higher overall amplification.

2. How do you calculate the overall voltage gain (Av) of a multistage amplifier?

The overall voltage gain (Av) of a multistage amplifier can be calculated by multiplying the voltage gains of each individual stage. For example, if the first stage has a voltage gain of 10 and the second stage has a voltage gain of 5, the overall voltage gain would be 10*5=50.

3. What is the purpose of using a multistage amplifier instead of a single-stage amplifier?

A multistage amplifier offers higher overall voltage gain and improved performance compared to a single-stage amplifier. It also allows for better control and stability of the output signal.

4. What factors affect the voltage gain of a multistage amplifier?

The voltage gain of a multistage amplifier can be affected by factors such as the individual voltage gains of each stage, the type and quality of the components used, and the overall circuit design.

5. How can you troubleshoot issues with a multistage amplifier?

If a multistage amplifier is not functioning properly, you can troubleshoot by checking the connections and components for any loose or damaged parts. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage at different points in the circuit to identify any potential issues. It is also helpful to refer to the amplifier's manual or consult with an expert for further assistance.