Rotational Motion - Finding Linear Distance

In summary, the problem asks for the distance traveled by a point on the edge of a 45.0 cm diameter wheel that accelerates uniformly from 205 rpm to 385 rpm in 7.5 s. Using the equations w=omega, v=initial omega, a=angular acceleration, r=radius, h=theta, t=time, and s=distance traveled, the solution involves converting rpm to rad/s, finding angular acceleration using a=(w-v)/t, and solving for h(theta) using the formula w^2=v^2 + 2ah. The final step is to convert h(theta) from radians to meters by multiplying it by the radius, as h(theta) is equal to s/r.
hana.e.kim

Homework Statement

A 45.0 cm diameter wheel accelerates uniformly from 205 rpm to 385 rpm in 7.5 s. How far will a point on the edge of the wheel have traveled in this time?

Homework Equations

w=omega
v=initial omega
a=angular acceleration
r=radius
h=theta
t=time
s=distance traveled.

w^2=v^2 + 2ah
a=(w-v)/t
h=s/r

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I converted 205 rpm and 385 rpm to rad/s. Then I found angular acceleration by using the formula: a=(w-v)/t. Then I plugged everything into the equation: w^2=v^2 + 2ah and solved for h(theta). Then I converted h(theta), which was in radians, to meters by multiplying it by the radius because h(theta)=s/r. Apparently that's the wrong way though, so if anyone could help me out, I'd love him/her forever. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your calculations? It's much easier to track down an error that way.

Actually, I figured out how to do it. Thanks anyway!

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is a type of motion in which an object rotates or spins around an axis or point.

How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Linear motion is when an object moves in a straight line, while rotational motion involves circular or spinning movement around an axis.

What is the formula for finding linear distance in rotational motion?

The formula for finding linear distance in rotational motion is d = r * θ, where d is the linear distance, r is the radius or distance from the axis to the object, and θ is the angular displacement or angle of rotation.

Can rotational motion be converted to linear motion?

Yes, rotational motion can be converted to linear motion through the use of gears, pulleys, or other mechanisms that transfer the rotational motion to linear motion.

How is rotational motion used in real life applications?

Rotational motion is used in many real life applications, such as the rotation of wheels in vehicles, the spinning of turbines in power plants, and the rotation of blades in wind turbines. It is also used in sports equipment like basketballs and footballs, as well as amusement park rides and household appliances like blenders and fans.