Efficiency of an engine performing the Joule ideal-gas cycle.

In summary: V to the gamma power. But you could have done it with the exponent of V remaining equal to gamma, and just had more algebra to do.In summary, the figure represents a simplified PV diagram of the Joule ideal-gas cycle. All processes are quasi-static, and C_P is constant. Using the given equations and adiabatic relations, the thermal efficiency of an engine performing this cycle can be shown to be 1 - \left(\frac{P_1}{P_2}\right)^\frac{\gamma - 1}{\gamma}.
Jacobpm64

Homework Statement

The figure represents a simplified PV diagram of the Joule ideal-gas cycle. All processes are quasi-static, and [tex] C_P[/tex] is constant. Prove that the thermal efficiency of an engine performing this cycle is
[tex] 1 - \left(\frac{P_1}{P_2}\right)^\frac{\gamma - 1}{\gamma} [/tex]
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7734/thermo1ym3.jpg
http://g.imageshack.us/img50/thermo1ym3.jpg/1/

Homework Equations

[tex] PV = RT [/tex]
[tex] \gamma = \frac{C_P}{C_V} [/tex]
[tex] dE = dq + dw [/tex] (should have strokes through the d's on dq and dw, but I don't know how to latex inexact differentials)
[tex] \eta = 1 - \frac{|q_{out}|}{|q_{in}|} [/tex]
On adiabatic processes,
[tex] TV^{\gamma - 1} = [/tex] constant
[tex] PV^{\gamma} = [/tex] constant

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, [tex] \eta = 1 - \frac{|q_{out}|}{|q_{in}|} [/tex]
[tex]q_{in} [/tex] is only path 2->3 and [tex] q_{out} [/tex] is only path 4->1.

2->3
Since we have an ideal gas,
[tex] dq = C_{P}dT [/tex]
[tex] q_{in} = \int^{T_3}_{T_2} C_{P}dT [/tex]
However,
[tex] dT = \left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\right)_{V} dP + \left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial V}\right)_{P} dV [/tex]
since dP = 0 in the 2->3 process, we have:
[tex] dT = \left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial V}\right)_{P} dV [/tex]
Now, using the ideal-gas equation of state and solving for T:
[tex] T = \frac{PV}{R} [/tex]
Differentiating:
[tex] \left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial V}\right)_{P} = \frac{P}{R} [/tex]
Now, substituting into the above expression, we get:
[tex] q_{in} = \frac{C_{P} P_{2}}{R} \int^{V_{3}}_{V_{2}}dV [/tex]
So,
[tex] |q_{in}| = \frac{C_{P} P_{2}}{R} (V_{3} - V_{2}) [/tex]

Now, considering process 4->1

4->1
We have the same process as above, but with different pressures and volumes. Therefore,
[tex] q_{out} = \frac{C_{P} P_{1}}{R} \int^{V_{1}}_{V_{4}} dV [/tex]

Since q_{out} is negative, we switch signs,
[tex] q_{out} = \frac{C_{P} P_{1}}{R} (V_{4} - V_{1}) [/tex]

Plugging into the efficiency formula [tex]\frac{C_{P} P_{1}}{R} [/tex] cancels, and we get:
[tex] \eta = 1 - \frac{P_{1} (V_{4} - V_{1})}{P_{2} (V_{3} - V_{2})} [/tex]

Now, I'm pretty sure I have to use the identities:
[tex] P_{1} V^{\gamma}_{4} = P_{2} V^{\gamma}_{3} [/tex]
[tex] P_{1} V^{\gamma}_{1} = P_{2} V^{\gamma}_{2} [/tex]

I have tried dividing these two equations so that all P's cancel.
I have also tried subtracting the equations.

I can't, for the life of me, get my efficiency in the form that the problem asks me to put it in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jacobpm64,

To cut down on the algebra, try writing the adiabatic relations as

[tex] P_{1}^{1/\gamma}\ V_{4} = P_{2}^{1/\gamma}\ V_{3} [/tex]
[tex] P_{1}^{1/\gamma}\ V_{1} = P_{2}^{1/\gamma}\ V_{2} [/tex]

and use them to eliminate [itex]V_4[/itex] and [itex]V_1[/itex]. Do you get the answer?

I sure did get the answer!

You don't know how much you're helping me.

This course is really hard to me, and I appreciate the help that I'm getting here.

I have one question though.

How did you come up with that adiabatic relation? (I didn't know that it was one).

Jacobpm64 said:
I sure did get the answer!

You don't know how much you're helping me.

This course is really hard to me, and I appreciate the help that I'm getting here.

I have one question though.

How did you come up with that adiabatic relation? (I didn't know that it was one).

It's the same adiabatic relation as you had in your post. Just raise both sides to the [tex]1/\gamma[/tex] power to move the exponent onto the P instead of the V:

[tex]
\begin{align}
P_{1} V^{\gamma}_{1} &= P_{2} V^{\gamma}_{2} \nonumber\\
\left( P_{1} V^{\gamma}_{1}\right)^{1/\gamma} &= \left(P_{2} V^{\gamma}_{2} \right)^{1/\gamma}\nonumber\\
P_{1}^{1/\gamma}\ V_{1} &= P_{2}^{1/\gamma}\ V_{2} \nonumber
\end{align}
[/tex]

Since in your problem you were trying to cancel the V variables in your numerator and denominator, I think it gives easier algebra to use the adiabatic relation in a form that has V to the first power

1. What is the Joule ideal-gas cycle?

The Joule ideal-gas cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the operation of an ideal gas engine. It consists of four processes: isentropic compression, isobaric heat addition, isentropic expansion, and isobaric heat rejection.

2. How is the efficiency of an engine performing the Joule ideal-gas cycle calculated?

The efficiency of an engine performing the Joule ideal-gas cycle is calculated using the Carnot efficiency formula, which is (T1-T2)/T1, where T1 is the maximum temperature during the isentropic expansion process and T2 is the minimum temperature during the isentropic compression process.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of an engine performing the Joule ideal-gas cycle?

The efficiency of an engine performing the Joule ideal-gas cycle is affected by several factors, including the compression ratio, the specific heat ratio of the gas, and the temperatures at which heat is added and rejected.

4. How does the efficiency of an engine performing the Joule ideal-gas cycle compare to other thermodynamic cycles?

The efficiency of an engine performing the Joule ideal-gas cycle is higher than other thermodynamic cycles, such as the Otto cycle and the Diesel cycle, which are commonly used in internal combustion engines. This is because the Joule ideal-gas cycle does not have any internal combustion or combustion-related losses.

5. Can the efficiency of an engine performing the Joule ideal-gas cycle be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of an engine performing the Joule ideal-gas cycle can be improved by increasing the compression ratio, using a gas with a higher specific heat ratio, and optimizing the temperatures at which heat is added and rejected. However, in real-world engines, there are practical limitations and trade-offs that must be considered.