Slip condition between two parts joined together by shrink-fitting?

In summary, the conversation discusses using shrink-fitting to connect a bearing joint with a long pipe. The grip between the pipe and the inner ring of the bearing creates surface pressure at the interface. The question is whether, if a moment M is applied to the pipe, the two parts will slip if the maximal frictional force between them (determined by the friction coefficient and contact area) is less than the force F = M/a. It is assumed that no other forces are acting on the bearing. The conclusion is that if the friction force is lower than F, the two parts will slip.
Arcturus82
Consider a bearing joint together with a long pipe (with radius a) by using shrink-fitting. The grip between the pipe and the inner ring of the bearing give rise to the surface pressure p at the interface. If a moment M now is applied to the pipe, what will the slip condition between the two parts be? Is it correct to assume that if the maximal frictional force between the two parts over the contact area A, i.e. F_friction = mu*A*p (mu = friction coefficient) cannot balance the force F = M/a, we will get slip? That is that we get slip between the two parts if F_friction < F ? To be clear I am talking about the situation where no other forces are acting on the bearing, i.e. the bearing does not have contact with any other surface than the pipe.

My thought is that the friction force is the only force that will accelerate the inner ring of the bearing. So if this force is lower than the force F, then the inner ring will accelerate slower than the pipe and thus the two parts will slip.

Any help would be appreciated.

All the best.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about the part about acceleration, but the slip criterion determined by this development is definitely correct.

What is shrink-fitting?

Shrink-fitting is a process of joining two parts together by heating one of the parts and cooling the other, causing a tight fit between the two parts.

What is the purpose of shrink-fitting?

Shrink-fitting is used to create a strong and permanent bond between two parts, typically in situations where traditional welding or fastening methods are not suitable.

What is "slip condition" in shrink-fitting?

Slip condition refers to the amount of relative movement or slip that occurs between the two parts during the shrink-fitting process. This can affect the strength and integrity of the joint.

How is the slip condition between two parts joined by shrink-fitting determined?

The slip condition is determined by various factors such as the materials and dimensions of the parts, the temperature difference during the fitting process, and the amount of interference between the parts.

What are the consequences of a slip condition in shrink-fitting?

If the slip condition is not properly managed, it can lead to a weaker joint, increased stress on the parts, and potential failure of the joint over time. It is important to carefully calculate and control the slip condition in shrink-fitting to ensure a strong and reliable bond between the two parts.