What are the properties of angular momentum operators?

• Thread starter wizzart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Time
In summary, the problem involves an electron in the hydrogen atom in an initial state of superposition of different energy and angular momentum states. The task is to normalize the state vector, find the probability of measuring a specific energy or angular momentum value, and determine the expectation values for angular momentum operators Lz and Lx. These values do not change with time due to the time independence of the selfadjoint operators and orthogonal projectors in the Schroedinger picture.
wizzart
I'm having a little bit of a problem with an excercise from my QM class. I've got the feeling it's really basic, and it probably comes down to the fact that I'm still quite flabbergasted by angular momentum operators | :uhh: . Anyway, the problem:

An electron in the hydrogen atom (neglecting spin) is (using |n,l,m>-notation) in the initial state:
[tex] |\Psi>_{t=0}=3|1,0,0>+|2,1,1>+i \sqrt{5}|2,1,0>-|2,1,-1> [/tex]

a)Normalise [tex]\Psi[/tex]
Calculating [tex]<\Psi|\Psi>[/tex], shows that the squared weights in front of the eigenfunctions sum up to 16. So the normalising constant A=1/4

b)Find the probability of measuring [tex]E_2[/tex]
Corresponds with n=2, so P([tex]E_2[/tex])=7/16

c)Find the probability of measuring Lz=0
m=0, so P(Lz=0)=7/8

The next to questions are the ones that I can't figure out...not with certainty anyway.
d)Find the probability of measuring Lx=0
e)Find the expectation values of Lz and Lx
f)In what way to these values changes with progressing time

I can prob. get the answers in a few days in class, but I'd rather have 'em earlier, since then I can study on...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part (a),

[tex] (i \sqrt{5}) ^2 = -5 [\tex]

A = 1/[tex] \sqrt{6} [\tex]

gamma
----------------------

I tried to use TEX for the first time and got it wrong. Sorry.
correction: (i sqrt(5) ) ^2 = -5
so A = sqrt (6)

gamma.

Last edited:
I think my initial answer to part a was right, Gamma. Realise that [tex]<\Psi|[/tex] is a complex conjugate of the given [tex]\Psi[/tex], so the minus sign cancels out when calculating the inner product.

Anybody any thoughts or clear/constructive texts on the angular momentum operators, or their apllication to this particular problem?

wizzart said:
I'm having a little bit of a problem with an excercise from my QM class. I've got the feeling it's really basic, and it probably comes down to the fact that I'm still quite flabbergasted by angular momentum operators | :uhh: . Anyway, the problem:

An electron in the hydrogen atom (neglecting spin) is (using |n,l,m>-notation) in the initial state:
[tex] |\Psi>_{t=0}=3|1,0,0>+|2,1,1>+i \sqrt{5}|2,1,0>-|2,1,-1> [/tex]

a)Normalise [tex]\Psi[/tex]
Calculating [tex]<\Psi|\Psi>[/tex], shows that the squared weights in front of the eigenfunctions sum up to 16. So the normalising constant A=1/4

b)Find the probability of measuring [tex]E_2[/tex]
Corresponds with n=2, so P([tex]E_2[/tex])=7/16

c)Find the probability of measuring Lz=0
m=0, so P(Lz=0)=7/8

The next to questions are the ones that I can't figure out...not with certainty anyway.
d)Find the probability of measuring Lx=0
e)Find the expectation values of Lz and Lx
f)In what way to these values changes with progressing time

I can prob. get the answers in a few days in class, but I'd rather have 'em earlier, since then I can study on...

Let's take it slow,really slow:
(a)[tex] <\Psi|\Psi>=1\Rightarrow |\Psi>=\frac{1}{4}(3|1,0,0>+|2,1,1>+i \sqrt{5}|2,1,0>-|2,1,-1>) [/tex]
(b)[tex]P(n=2)=|<2,l,m|\Psi>|^{2}=\frac{1}{16}(1+5+1)=\frac{7}{16} [/tex]
(c)[tex]P(m=0)=|<n,l,0|\Psi>|^{2}=\frac{1}{16}(9+5)=\frac{7}{8}[/tex]
(d,e)[tex]\hat{L}_{x}=\frac{1}{2}(\hat{L}_{+}+\hat{L}_{-})[/tex]
[tex]\hat{L}_{+}|n,l,m>=\hbar\sqrt{l(l+1)-m(m+1)}|n,l,m+1>[/tex]
[tex]\hat{L}_{-}|n,l,m>=\hbar\sqrt{l(l+1)-m(m-1)}|n,l,m-1> [/tex]
[tex]\hat{L}_{+}|\Psi>=\frac{1}{4}(i\hbar\sqrt{10}|2,1,1>-\hbar\sqrt{2}|2,1,0>) [/tex]
[tex]\hat{L}_{-}|\Psi>=\frac{1}{4}(\hbar\sqrt{2}|2,1,0>+i\hbar\sqrt{10}|2,1,-1>) [/tex]
[tex] \hat{L}_{x}|\Psi>=\frac{1}{8}i\hbar\sqrt{10}(|2,1,-1>+|2,1,1>) [/tex]
[tex]<\hat{L}_{x}>=<\Psi|\hat_{L}_{x}|\Psi>=\frac{i\hbar\sqrt{10}}{32} (1-1)=0 [/tex]
[tex]P(eigenvalue(\hat{L}_{x})=0)=...?? [/tex] (?? :confused: I'm not sure)

(f)The eigenvalues,the averages and the probabilities do not change in time,because the selfadjoint operators and the orthogonal projectors from their spectral decomposition are time independent (in the Schroedinger picture) and they commute with the time independent Hamiltonian.

Last edited:

1. Why am I having a hard time with Lx?

There could be several reasons why you are having a hard time with Lx. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concepts, difficulty in applying the knowledge, or not having enough practice. It is important to identify the specific areas that you are struggling with in order to address the issue.

2. How can I improve my understanding of Lx?

One way to improve your understanding of Lx is to seek help from a tutor or mentor who has expertise in the subject. You can also try breaking down the concepts into smaller, more manageable chunks and practicing regularly. Additionally, using different learning resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems can also help improve your understanding.

3. What are some effective study strategies for Lx?

Effective study strategies for Lx may include creating a study schedule, using flashcards or mnemonic devices to remember key concepts, practicing with past exams or quizzes, and actively participating in class discussions and activities. It is also important to take breaks and give yourself time to rest and recharge.

4. How can I overcome my fear of Lx?

One way to overcome your fear of Lx is to change your mindset and approach the subject with a positive attitude. Instead of focusing on your fear, try to focus on the process of learning and improving. It can also be helpful to seek support from your peers or a mentor who can provide encouragement and guidance.

5. What resources are available to help me with Lx?

There are many resources available to help you with Lx. Your school or university may offer tutoring services, study groups, or workshops for the subject. There are also various online resources such as educational websites, forums, and video tutorials that can provide additional support and practice materials. Don't hesitate to reach out to your teacher or professor for extra help and guidance as well.