Topological dimension of the image of a smooth curve in a manifold

In summary: Hausdorff dimension n (which for compact metric spaces [0,1] is the same as topological dimension n) to spaces of Hausdorff dimension k, withn>=k, are sets of Hausdorff dimension n. In particular, if the curve is Lipschitz, this should work.I claim that Lipschitz is exactly what we need because:"Various results are known about the image of a Lipschitz map between metric spaces. The image of a Lipschitz map between metric spaces is a Lipschitz submanifold of the codomain [MY EMPHASIS] (local Lipschitz maps are not necessarily submanifolds of the codomain). In
Rick_D
Here is the situation I am concerned with -

Consider a smooth curve [itex]g:[0,1] \to M[/itex] where [itex]M [/itex] is a topological manifold (I'd be happy to assume [itex] M [/itex] smooth/finite dimensional if that helps). Let [itex] Im(g) [/itex] be the image of [itex] [0,1] [/itex] under the map [itex] g [/itex]. Give [itex] Im(g) [/itex] the subspace topology induced by [itex] M [/itex].

The question is this --- as a topological space, does [itex] Im(g) [/itex] always have (topological) dimension [itex] \leq 1 [/itex] ?

Note that it IS important not to restrict [itex] g [/itex] to be either injective or an immersion - then the result is straightforward. The tricky thing is that [itex] g [/itex] may not be constant rank and also may not be a submanifold of [itex] M [/itex] (or even a manifold at all).

Also, a reference to a proof is fine, I don't really need to know HOW to prove it, I just need to be certain that it is true. It certainly seems intuitively obvious...

I've seen a number of statements (without reference or proof) that [itex] Im(g) [/[STRIKE][/STRIKE]itex] must have zero Lebesque measure. I don't immediately see how this would answer the above question, so any references or proofs on this front would be useful as well.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are the so-called space-filling curves that are continuous surjective maps [0,1]-->[0,1]^n for any n. In particular, making the n-cube into a torus, you get a continuous curve [0,1]-->T^n whose image has dimension n since it is the whole torus.

Note that such a curve cannot be injective. Otherwise, it would be a bijection from a compact space into a Hausdorff space, hence a homeomorphism, which would contradict invariance of dimension.

No differentiable space-filling curve can exist, but there are ones that are smooth almost everywhere.

These things are discussed in the Dover book "Counter-examples in topology"

Rick_D said:
Here is the situation I am concerned with -

Consider a smooth curve [itex]g:[0,1] \to M[/itex] where [itex]M [/itex] is a topological manifold (I'd be happy to assume [itex] M [/itex] smooth/finite dimensional if that helps). Let [itex] Im(g) [/itex] be the image of [itex] [0,1] [/itex] under the map [itex] g [/itex]. Give [itex] Im(g) [/itex] the subspace topology induced by [itex] M [/itex].

The question is this --- as a topological space, does [itex] Im(g) [/itex] always have (topological) dimension [itex] \leq 1 [/itex] ?

Note that it IS important not to restrict [itex] g [/itex] to be either injective or an immersion - then the result is straightforward. The tricky thing is that [itex] g [/itex] may not be constant rank and also may not be a submanifold of [itex] M [/itex] (or even a manifold at all).

Also, a reference to a proof is fine, I don't really need to know HOW to prove it, I just need to be certain that it is true. It certainly seems intuitively obvious...

I've seen a number of statements (without reference or proof) that [itex] Im(g) [/[STRIKE][/STRIKE]itex] must have zero Lebesque measure. I don't immediately see how this would answer the above question, so any references or proofs on this front would be useful as well.

Thanks!

I think this is your answer.

For smooth curves around any point where the derivative is not zero there is a neighborhood of the point mapped diffeomorphically onto its image. this i think is the Inverse Function Theorem so the image around such a point is a 1 dimensional manifold.

Near a point where the derivative is zero this is still true if the point is isolated - not hard to prove. If there is an interval where the derivative is zero then this interval is mapped to a single point. So locally the image looks like a one dimensional manifold or a point.

Since your interval is compact there can be no points of accumululation that are not in the image. This in any neighborhood of a point where the derivative is not zero the image is an embedded 1 dimensional manifold.

Bacle2 said:
Sard's theorem may help for when the curve is embedded in R^m :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sard's_theorem

I think the Inverse function theorem works because one of the projections onto one of the coordinate axes must have non-zero derivative.

lavinia said:
I think the Inverse function theorem works because one of the projections onto one of the coordinate axes must have non-zero derivative.

Do you mean when M is embedded in R^n ? I don't know if the OP is assuming this.

And, my bad: Sard's theorem tells us something about the measure of the image,(since, in the 1xm Jacobian, every point in I=[0,1] is necessarily a critical point) but there is no connection in this respect between measure and topological dimension; e.g., in R^n, any (measurable)subset of dimension less than n will have n-dimensional Lebesgue measure 0, so that does not narrow it down much, definitely not enough.

Bacle2 said:
Do you mean when M is embedded in R^n ? I don't know if the OP is assuming this.

And, my bad: Sard's theorem tells us something about the measure of the image,(since, in the 1xm Jacobian, every point in I=[0,1] is necessarily a critical point) but there is no connection in this respect between measure and topological dimension; e.g., in R^n, any (measurable)subset of dimension less than n will have n-dimensional Lebesgue measure 0, so that does not narrow it down much, definitely not enough.

I mean that id the derivative is not zero at some point then the derivative of the composition of the curve with one of the projections must also be non-zero. Smoothness then allows the Inverse Function theorem to guarantee a local diffeomorphism. This seems OK.

A small variant of the problem: if we're looking to preserve Hausdorff dimension--I assume by topological dimension the OP meant Lebesgue covering dimension-- then we can use that continuously-differentiable maps on a compact metric space, i.e., [0,1] , are Lipschitz, so that there is a bound to the scaling of the diameter d of the sets in the cover, and it follows that the Hausdorff dimension is preserved.

Luckily, a topologist/geometer friend of mine helped me to this result:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Lt...ge&q=Szpilrajn and lebesgue dimension&f=false

In which Szpilrajn (sp?) showed that inductive (topological) dimension is less than the Haudorff dimension.

So, for an alternative argument: we start with I=[0,1]. Then we use the fact that

a C^oo (C^1 is enough, AFAIK) map is Lipschitz, so that f preserves the Hausdorff

dimension , and then use Szpilrajn's inequality. It then follows, if I did not miss any thing,

that the image curve has topological dimension <=1.

Thanks!

That's definitely what I was looking for - the books I have on dimension theory only talk about the inductive and covering dimensions, and I just found out about the Hausdorff dimension. This definitely does the trick - thanks again.

1. What is the topological dimension of the image of a smooth curve in a manifold?

The topological dimension of the image of a smooth curve in a manifold refers to the number of independent parameters needed to describe the position of a point on the curve. This dimension is the same as the dimension of the manifold, which is the minimum number of coordinates needed to specify a point in the space.

2. How is the topological dimension of the image of a smooth curve in a manifold different from the dimension of the manifold?

The topological dimension of the image of a smooth curve in a manifold is a measure of the complexity of the curve itself, while the dimension of the manifold is a measure of the complexity of the entire space. The topological dimension of the curve may be lower or equal to the dimension of the manifold, but it cannot be higher.

3. Can the topological dimension of the image of a smooth curve in a manifold change?

No, the topological dimension of the image of a smooth curve in a manifold is a topological invariant, meaning that it does not change under continuous transformations. This means that the dimension of the curve remains the same regardless of how it is deformed or stretched within the manifold.

4. What is the significance of the topological dimension of the image of a smooth curve in a manifold?

The topological dimension of the image of a smooth curve in a manifold is important in understanding the geometric properties and behavior of the curve. It helps to determine the number of independent parameters needed to describe the curve and can be used to classify different types of curves and their behavior in the manifold.

5. How is the topological dimension of the image of a smooth curve in a manifold related to other dimensions?

The topological dimension of the image of a smooth curve in a manifold is related to other dimensions, such as the Euclidean dimension and the Hausdorff dimension. In general, the topological dimension is the lowest among these dimensions, as it only takes into account the essential structure of the curve without considering any additional properties like length or distance.