Smooth Homotopy: Problem with Definition?

• Thread starter jgens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smooth
In summary, the concept of smooth homotopy in Differential Topology involves a smooth map h:M x [0,1] --> N that satisfies certain conditions. However, this definition may not make sense if M x [0,1] is not a smooth manifold. One solution to this problem is to consider a smooth map h:M x (0,1) --> N instead. Additionally, in general, a map h:F-->N is considered smooth if there is a smooth extension of h to an open set containing F.
jgens
Gold Member
Recently I have been working through a text on Differential Topology and have come across the notion of smooth homotopy. Now the textbook (along with every other source I can find on the matter) defines a smooth homotopy of maps [itex]f,g:M \rightarrow N[/itex] as a smooth map [itex]h:M \times [0,1] \rightarrow N[/itex] that satisfies [itex]h(s,0) = f(s)[/itex] and [itex]h(s,1) = g(s)[/itex]. This all makes sense to me except for one thing: The text I am using only defines smooth manifolds without boundary and, unless I am missing something obvious, the space [itex]M \times [0,1][/itex] is not a smooth manifold under this definition. In particular, if [itex]M \times [0,1][/itex] is not a smooth manifold, then our definition of smooth map does not make any sense either. So I am wondering if I am just missing something here, or if there is a genuine problem with this definition.

Off the top of my head, all of these problems can be alleviated by considering a smooth map [itex]h:M \times (0,1) \rightarrow N[/itex] such that for some [itex]x,y \in (0,1)[/itex] with [itex]x < y[/itex] it follows that [itex]h(s,x) = f(s)[/itex] and [itex]h(s,y) = g(s)[/itex]. This is a bit fussier, but it is immediately clear that [itex]M \times (0,1)[/itex] is a smooth manifold.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hehe.. I'd say you've got the gist of it.

Because when we say a map h: M x [0,1] --> n is smooth, we mean that there is an smooth extension of h to some open set, say h: M x (a,b) -->N , where (a,b) contains [0,1].

More generally, if F is a closed subset of a manifold, a map h:F-->N is smooth if there is an smooth extension h:U-->N where U is open and contains F. In your case, M x [0,1] is a closed subset of the manifold M x R.

1. What is smooth homotopy?

Smooth homotopy is a mathematical concept that describes a continuous deformation of one function into another while maintaining a certain level of smoothness. It is often used in topology and differential geometry to study the properties of shapes and spaces.

2. What is the problem with the definition of smooth homotopy?

The main problem with the definition of smooth homotopy is that it is not always clear what is meant by "smoothness". Depending on the context, smoothness can refer to different levels of differentiability, which can lead to confusion and inconsistencies in the definition.

3. How is smooth homotopy related to topological equivalence?

Smooth homotopy and topological equivalence are closely related concepts. Two functions are considered smoothly homotopic if they can be continuously deformed into each other while preserving a certain level of smoothness. This is similar to topological equivalence, which describes when two spaces can be continuously deformed into each other without tearing or gluing.

4. What are some applications of smooth homotopy?

Smooth homotopy has many applications in mathematics, including in the study of manifolds, differential equations, and optimization problems. It is also used in physics and engineering to model and analyze various systems and phenomena.

5. How is smooth homotopy different from other types of homotopy?

Smooth homotopy is a specific type of homotopy that emphasizes the concept of smoothness. It is different from other types of homotopy, such as piecewise homotopy or continuous homotopy, which focus on other aspects of continuity and deformation. However, these different types of homotopy are often used together to provide a more complete understanding of a mathematical problem or concept.