How many Watts do I need to heat this pipe?

In summary, this person is looking for an immersion heater to prevent freezing, but is unsure of the power requirements. They found a website that sells a kit for £50, but is unsure of the accuracy of the numbers.
steves1080
Reference attached image.

In this simple system, I have a large reservoir of water that feeds a small section of 4" dia. pipe. There is about 1 ft of length until there is a gate valve to isolate the flow. When not flowing water, this 1-ft x 4-in section is at risk of freezing when temperatures are low enough. What I am looking to is basically add an immersion heater to prevent freezing, but I need to know how much power I need. Are there any quick heat transfer calc I can do to estimate this?

Thanks a ton-

Attachments

• reservoir.jpg
    reservoir.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 493
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's carbon steel, so thermal conductivity is like 16 or so

Hi,

The following equation might help.

q = 2 π k (ti - to) / ln(ro / ri) (1)

where

q = heat transferred per unit time per unit length of cylinder or pipe (W/m, Btu/hr ft)

k = thermal conductivity of the material (W/m.K or W/m oC, Btu/(hr oF ft2/ft))

to = temperature outside pipe or cylinder (K or oC, oF)

ti = temperature inside pipe or cylinder (K or oC, oF)

ln = the natural logarithm

ro = cylinder or pipe outside radius (m, ft)

ri = cylinder or pipe inside radius(m, ft)

If you know what the coldest temperature that the water will be the temperature that you wish to keep the pipe at, you can find the heat transferred per length then multiply that by the length of your pipe (4ft). This will give you a watt value to heat the pipe.

Yea, I know I shouldn't be reinventing the wheel. But I'm very old fashioned and like to make sure I run my own numbers. The problem, acc0untnam3, with that approach (albeit the seemingly correct one), is that I am getting a massively high wattage of heat loss. Like WAY too high. But I am not seeing an issue with my numbers, so it must be the approach I am taking. See attached for my calculation. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Attachments

• HeatTrace.xlsx
    17.5 KB · Views: 210
steves1080 said:
Yea, I know I shouldn't be reinventing the wheel. But I'm very old fashioned and like to make sure I run my own numbers. The problem, acc0untnam3, with that approach (albeit the seemingly correct one), is that I am getting a massively high wattage of heat loss. Like WAY too high. But I am not seeing an issue with my numbers, so it must be the approach I am taking. See attached for my calculation. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

You forgot the natural logarithm..
ln(ro/ri) = 0.110311, you're using the thickness 0.005969 m...
The area is also wrong, you should calculate 2*PI()*L. Still Q is around 22kW.

I think Q is high because you have a 20ºC change in 5mm, and your thermal conductivity is quite high,,

1. How do I calculate the wattage needed to heat a pipe?

To calculate the wattage needed to heat a pipe, you will need to know the pipe's length, diameter, material, and the desired temperature increase. You can use the following formula: Wattage = (2 x π x length x thermal conductivity x temperature difference) / (natural log of (outer diameter/inner diameter))

2. What is the thermal conductivity of a pipe?

The thermal conductivity of a pipe refers to its ability to transfer heat. It is usually measured in watts per meter-kelvin (W/mK). The thermal conductivity can vary depending on the material of the pipe.

3. Can I use a lower wattage than the calculated amount to heat the pipe?

It is not recommended to use a lower wattage than the calculated amount to heat a pipe. Using a lower wattage may result in insufficient heat transfer, leading to longer heating times and potential damage to the pipe.

4. How does the ambient temperature affect the wattage needed to heat a pipe?

The ambient temperature does affect the wattage needed to heat a pipe. The colder the surrounding temperature, the more wattage will be required to maintain the desired temperature in the pipe. It is important to factor in the ambient temperature when calculating the wattage needed for pipe heating.

5. Can I use a higher wattage than the calculated amount to heat the pipe?

Using a higher wattage than the calculated amount to heat a pipe may result in excessive heat and potential damage to the pipe. It is important to use the calculated wattage to ensure safe and efficient heating of the pipe.