Intersection of Connected Sets: True or False?

In summary, the question is asking if the intersection of two connected sets is always connected, and the conversation explores this idea and provides counter examples to show that it is not always true. The empty set is also discussed as a possible counter example, but it is determined that the empty set is actually connected. Overall, the conversation concludes that there are simple counter examples to the statement and that at least one non-empty set is needed for the intersection to be disconnected.
beetle2
I have been asked if the following is true or false

the intersection of two connected sets is connected ?

I would have thought that if their intersection was empty they wouldn't be connected.

If they were disjoint or course it would be empty.

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
there are simple counter examples

The empty set definitely is connected. Take a look at the definition of not connected again... the partioning sets are required to be non-empty themselves (otherwise every set is disconnected). The empty set has no non-empty subsets so must be connected by default

So are you saying that if I take two non empty connected sets ie.

A= {1} and B={2} as singletons are connected then the intersection of (A n B ) = the empty set which is itself connected?

Last edited:
So I need to find at least an non empty set to be dissconnected.

beetle2 said:
So are you saying that if I take two non empty connected sets ie.

A= {1} and B={2} as singletons are connected then the intersection of (A n B ) = the empty set which is itself connected?

he is saying that the empty set is connected so that it will not serve for a counter example

Thanks guys

Just try to imagine two connected sets that cross over each other in two disconnected regions; it's not too difficult if you think about it e.g. take two connected subsets of a circle which cover the circle but are not the whole circle.

1. What is the definition of "intersection of connected sets"?

The intersection of connected sets refers to the points or elements that are common to two or more connected sets. In other words, it is the set of all elements that are present in every connected set being considered.

2. How do you determine if the intersection of connected sets is true or false?

The intersection of connected sets is true if there is at least one point that is common to all the connected sets being considered. If there is no common point, then the intersection is false.

3. Can the intersection of connected sets be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection of connected sets to be empty. This occurs when there are no common points among the connected sets being considered.

4. Are there any properties of the intersection of connected sets?

Yes, the intersection of connected sets has two main properties: it is always a subset of each connected set being considered, and it is always a connected set itself.

5. How is the intersection of connected sets used in mathematics?

The intersection of connected sets is used in various branches of mathematics, including topology, set theory, and analysis. It is a fundamental concept that helps in proving theorems and solving problems related to connected sets.