Brightness of Light Bulbs Ranking Task

In summary, the conversation discusses ranking five identical light bulbs (A through E) based on their brightness in a circuit with an ideal battery. The resistance of each light bulb remains constant. Through the use of Ohm's law and circuit laws, it is determined that bulb C is the brightest, followed by bulbs A and B, and then bulbs D and E. The reason for this ranking is due to the higher voltage and therefore power in bulb C compared to the others.
seto6

Homework Statement

Consider a circuit containing five identical light bulbs and an ideal battery. Assume that the resistance of each light bulb remains constant. Rank the bulbs (A through E) based on their brightness.
Rank from brightest to dimmest. To rank items as equivalent, overlap them.
y09pc.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR, junction law and loop law

The Attempt at a Solution

i use that fact that more resistance means that less current flow by looking at the pic the current in A&B are the same, but the current in C is greater than in D&E where current in D&E are same b/c of series. there for conclude that C>(A=B)>(D=E)

can any 1 tell me if this is right please!

Physics news on Phys.org
its right

If anyone didn't mind me asking, I was wondering WHY Bulb C has less resistance compared to Bulb A or B?

It doesn't have less resistance, all resistances are the same. It has more voltage because the equivalent resistance of RcRdRe is greater than that of RaRb. If you link brightness to power (P=I*V) and Rab has the same current as Rcde, then because the voltage is higher Rc has more power.

Your reasoning is correct. In a series circuit, the current is the same at all points, so the bulbs with the least resistance (A and B) will be the brightest, followed by C, and then D and E which have the most resistance. This is because more resistance means that more energy is being used up by the resistance, so less energy is available to light up the bulb. Therefore, the ranking from brightest to dimmest would be A=B>C>D=E.

1. What is the purpose of the "Brightness of Light Bulbs Ranking Task"?

The purpose of the task is to compare the brightness of various light bulbs and rank them from brightest to least bright.

2. How can I accurately measure the brightness of a light bulb?

The brightness of a light bulb can be measured using a light meter or lux meter, which measures the intensity of light in lumens per square meter.

3. What factors can affect the brightness of a light bulb?

The brightness of a light bulb can be affected by the type of bulb (incandescent, LED, fluorescent), wattage, voltage, and color temperature. Environmental factors such as dust, humidity, and ambient temperature can also affect the perceived brightness.

4. How do I know which light bulb is the brightest?

The light bulb with the highest lumens output is generally considered the brightest. However, other factors such as color temperature and personal preference may also play a role in perceived brightness.

5. What is the difference between lumens and watts when it comes to measuring brightness?

Lumens measure the amount of light output, while watts measure the amount of power consumed. A higher wattage does not necessarily mean a brighter light, as different types of bulbs have different levels of efficiency. Lumens is a more accurate measurement of brightness.