What is the Error in Calculating the Integral of Dot Product?

In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving a 3d vector and a unit sphere. The objective is to find the integral of the dot product between the vector and a secondary unit vector. The problem is solved using spherical coordinates and it is determined that the solution is 2π. The error in the initial solution attempt is due to a non-uniform parametrization of the sphere.
gespex
Hi all,

I'm working on a math problem with a known answer - though I can't reproduce the maths.

The problem is this: there is a random 3d vector of unit length with a uniform probability, [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], and a secondary unit vector [itex]\vec{u}[/itex]. It is stated that:
[tex]f = \int_{S^2}{| \vec{v} \cdot \vec{u} | d\vec{v}} = 2\pi[/tex]

Now, I've never worked with integrals of this kind, and I'm not even exactly sure what [itex]S^2[/itex] means in the integral subscript, but given the problem I attempted to take a vector for [itex]\vec{u} = [0, 0, 1][/itex] (which shouldn't matter, as the distribution is uniform), and I set
[tex]\vec{v} = [cos(\alpha)sin(\sigma), sin(\alpha)sin(\sigma), cos(\sigma)][/tex]
for [itex]0 \leq \alpha \leq 2\pi[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq \sigma \leq \pi[/itex].

Now I expected that:
[tex]f = \int_{S^2}{| \vec{v} \cdot \vec{u} |d\vec{v}} = \int_{\alpha = 0}^{2\pi}\int_{\sigma = 0}^{\pi} | \vec{v} \cdot \vec{u} |d{\sigma}d\alpha[/tex]
[tex]f = \int_{\alpha = 0}^{2\pi}\int_{\sigma = 0}^{\pi} | cos(\sigma) |d{\sigma}d\alpha = \int_{\alpha = 0}^{2\pi}\int_{\sigma = 0}^{{1 \over 2} \pi} 2cos(\sigma)d{\sigma}d\alpha[/tex]
[tex]f = \int_{\alpha = 0}^{2\pi} 2[sin({1 \over 2}\pi) - sin(0)]d\alpha = 4\pi[/tex]

Which is not what the apparent solution should be. What is the error in my logic? And how can it be proven that [itex]f = 2\pi[/itex]?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
S_2 is the unit sphere - the set of all points with distance 1 to the origin.

Your parametrization of the sphere is not uniform, you favor points close to u (and on the opposite side) in the integral.
This is easier to solve in spherical coordinates.

Thanks for your answer.

I did manage to reproduce the answer now. Though I didn't know integration in spherical coordinates. I actually did convert it to spherical coordinates (right?), with p = 1 (the distance from the origin), except I didn't take into account the "Jacobian determinant". I really only had to multiply it with [itex]p^2 sin(\sigma)[/itex], is that correct?

I think so, yes.

What is the error in calculating the integral of dot product?

The error in calculating the integral of dot product is related to the accuracy of the numerical methods used to approximate the integral. These methods involve dividing the integral into smaller intervals and summing up the products of the function values at specific points within each interval. This can lead to errors due to rounding and approximation of the function values.

How can the error in calculating the integral of dot product be minimized?

The error in calculating the integral of dot product can be minimized by using more precise numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, which use more intervals and more accurate approximations of the function values. Additionally, using a computer program with higher precision calculations can also reduce the error.

What factors can affect the error in calculating the integral of dot product?

There are several factors that can affect the error in calculating the integral of dot product. These include the choice of numerical method, the number of intervals used, the precision of the function values, and the rounding errors in calculations. The complexity and smoothness of the function can also play a role in the accuracy of the integral approximation.

Can the error in calculating the integral of dot product be completely eliminated?

No, the error in calculating the integral of dot product cannot be completely eliminated. This is because numerical methods are only approximations and cannot perfectly capture the exact value of the integral. However, the error can be reduced to a negligible amount by using more precise methods and increasing the number of intervals.

How does the error in calculating the integral of dot product affect the overall result?

The error in calculating the integral of dot product can have a significant impact on the final result, especially if the function values vary greatly within the interval of integration. A larger error can lead to a significant deviation from the true value of the integral. This is why it is important to use accurate and precise methods when calculating integrals.