Proving Limit Property: Easy Steps

• Thread starter andilus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, statdad is saying that there is a relationship between the denominator x - a and the denominator h . He is also saying that there is a relationship between the denominator x - a and the denominator h if h is replaced by x - a.
andilus
how to prove
lim(x->a)[tex]\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}[/tex]=lim(h->0)[tex]\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}[/tex]

it seems to be obvious, but i don't know how to prove```

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between the denominator [tex] x - a [/tex] and the denominator [tex] h [/tex]?

statdad said:
What is the relationship between the denominator [tex] x - a [/tex] and the denominator [tex] h [/tex]?

Sorry,I have not express clearly.
what i want to prove is just:
lim(x->a)[tex](\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a})[/tex]=lim(h->0)[tex](\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h})[/tex]

Listen to what statdad is saying. What is the relationship by h and x - a? The answer to this question will essentially answer your question.

use a delta-epsilon argument, the standard delta epsilon definition:

as x approaches a, we have:

given [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0, there exists a [tex]\delta[/tex] >0 such that for all x with the property 0 < | x - a | < [tex]\delta[/tex], then |f(x) - L | < [tex]\epsilon[/tex].

In this argument, we have the distance between a point x and a fixed point a bounded between 0 and some fixed [tex]\delta[/tex]. Can you provide a similar argument as h approaches ____ ?

Why not let h = x - a and rewrite the limit after the substitutions?

That is exactly what statdad was suggesting!

I wasn't sure that that was what statdad was getting at, which is why I posted the equation. Some things are just too subtle, at least for me. :blushing:

You still don't get it? In the first limit,
[tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)- f(a)}{x-a}[/tex]

let h= x- a. Then x= ??

wisvuze said:
use a delta-epsilon argument, the standard delta epsilon definition:

as x approaches a, we have:

given [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0, there exists a [tex]\delta[/tex] >0 such that for all x with the property 0 < | x - a | < [tex]\delta[/tex], then |f(x) - L | < [tex]\epsilon[/tex].

In this argument, we have the distance between a point x and a fixed point a bounded between 0 and some fixed [tex]\delta[/tex]. Can you provide a similar argument as h approaches ____ ?
I'm pretty sure none of this is applicable to the problem in this thread.

No, I understand perfectly how to use h = x - a to transform the first to the second; I just didn't see that statdad was hinting at doing it that way.

Sorry for any confusion I caused. I've always believed the best horror movies ( and books) are the ones that hint at the source of the horror, and that the best hints are ones that make you puzzle out their meaning. This time, apparently, I was a little too vague.

Last edited:

FAQ: Proving Limit Property: Easy Steps

1. What is the limit property?

The limit property, also known as the limit law, states that the limit of a sum, difference, product, or quotient of two functions is equal to the sum, difference, product, or quotient of their individual limits, as long as those individual limits exist.

2. What are the steps for proving the limit property?

The steps for proving the limit property involve showing that the limit of the sum, difference, product, or quotient of two functions can be rewritten as the sum, difference, product, or quotient of their individual limits, using basic algebraic manipulations and the definition of a limit.

3. Why is it important to prove the limit property?

Proving the limit property is important because it allows us to simplify the process of finding limits of more complex functions. Instead of having to use the definition of a limit, which can be time-consuming and difficult, we can use the limit property to quickly and easily find the limit.

4. Can the limit property be used for all functions?

No, the limit property can only be used for functions where the individual limits exist. If the individual limits do not exist, then the limit property cannot be applied.

5. Are there any limitations to the limit property?

Yes, the limit property is not applicable to all types of limits. For example, it cannot be used for limits involving infinity or limits at points of discontinuity. In these cases, the definition of a limit must be used instead.