Relevant Equations
Limit

Derivative
1700879114137.png

My attempt:
Since ##\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)=O(h^2)## as ##h \to 0##, then:

$$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)}{h^2} < \infty$$

So

$$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)}{h^2} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f'(a)-f'(a)}{h^2}=0 < \infty$$

Because the value of the limit is zero, it is true that ##\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)=O(h^2)## as ##h \to 0##

Is this even correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This step:
$$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)}{h^2} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f'(a)-f'(a)}{h^2}$$
is incorrect.

Likes songoku
Hill said:
This step:
$$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)}{h^2} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f'(a)-f'(a)}{h^2}$$
is incorrect.
$$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)}{h^2} $$
$$=\frac{\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-\lim_{h \to 0} f'(a)}{\lim_{h \to 0} h^2}$$
$$= \frac{f'(a)-f'(a)}{\lim_{h \to 0} h^2}$$
$$=\frac{0}{\lim_{h \to 0} h^2}$$
$$=0$$

I can't do that? Thanks

songoku said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Limit

Derivative

View attachment 336113

My attempt:
Since ##\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)=O(h^2)## as ##h \to 0##, then:
I'm confused. Isn't this what you are supposed to prove?
songoku said:
$$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)}{h^2} < \infty$$

So

$$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)}{h^2} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f'(a)-f'(a)}{h^2}=0 < \infty$$

Because the value of the limit is zero, it is true that ##\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)=O(h^2)## as ##h \to 0##
I don't see where you have used the fact that ##f## has continuous derivatives up to order 3 in an open interval containing ##a##
songoku said:
Is this even correct?
I think not.

Likes songoku
FactChecker said:
I'm confused. Isn't this what you are supposed to prove?

I don't see where you have used the fact that ##f## has continuous derivatives up to order 3 in an open interval containing ##a##
Yeah, actually that would be my next question after discussing my really bad approach. How to use the third and/or second derivative to prove the question? I don't see any higher-order derivative than 1 in the question, that's why I started from the limit.

Thanks

songoku said:
How to use the third and/or second derivative to prove the question? I don't see any higher-order derivative than 1 in the question, that's why I started from the limit.
Have you learned about Taylor series? Are you allowed to use them for this problem?

Likes songoku
songoku said:
$$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)}{h^2} $$
$$=\frac{\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-\lim_{h \to 0} f'(a)}{\lim_{h \to 0} h^2}$$
$$= \frac{f'(a)-f'(a)}{\lim_{h \to 0} h^2}$$
$$=\frac{0}{\lim_{h \to 0} h^2}$$
$$=0$$

I can't do that? Thanks
No, on your last step above, instead of $$=\frac{0}{\lim_{h \to 0} h^2}=0$$ you'd get $$=\frac{0}{\lim_{h \to 0} h^2}=\frac 0 0$$

Likes songoku
renormalize said:
Have you learned about Taylor series? Are you allowed to use them for this problem?
The problem may include functions for which the Taylor series does not exist. This is pure mathematics!

songoku said:
Yeah, actually that would be my next question after discussing my really bad approach. How to use the third and/or second derivative to prove the question? I don't see any higher-order derivative than 1 in the question, that's why I started from the limit.

Thanks
This looks tricky. It's not clear to me why you need derivatives up to order three. You'd think that ##f'## being continuous would be sufficient. If not, then the solution must get quite involved. Those are my initial thoughts.

Possibly start with the continuity of ##f'''##? And see what you get starting from there?

Likes songoku
The existence of three derivatives allows to apply L'Hôpital's rule three times. This is all we need.

Likes songoku and PeroK
My understanding is that you are asked to show the equivalence of your definition of a derivative (I can only guess that this is the usual definition as a limit) and Weierstraß's formula
$$
f(a+h)=f(a)+ J_a(h) + r(h)
$$
where ##J_a(h)=f'(a)\cdot h## is the Jacobi matrix of ##f## that is the derivarive at ##x=a.## ##r(h)## is the remainder that tends faster to zero than ##h,## i.e. ##\lim_{h \to 0}\dfrac{r(h)}{h}=0.##

You do not need a Taylor series for that. It is just the linear approximation of ##f## by its derivative ##f'## at ##x=a##. All higher-order terms of the Taylor series are in ##O(h^2)## or ##r(h).## You only need the separation of the linear term and all the rest. Taylor would be an overkill since there would be nothing left to prove. Use the definitions of a derivative and a limit, that's all.

Likes songoku
songoku said:

Thanks
What is the context of this question? I was wondering whether this is in connection with the formal development of Taylor series? In any case, I've found Taylor's Theorem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_theorem#Taylor's_theorem_in_one_real_variable

Likes songoku
renormalize said:
Yes I have and I am allowed to use them for this problem. It is just I don't know how to use them :redface:

Hill said:
No, on your last step above, instead of $$=\frac{0}{\lim_{h \to 0} h^2}=0$$ you'd get $$=\frac{0}{\lim_{h \to 0} h^2}=\frac 0 0$$
Oh ok, I see it now.

PeroK said:
What is the context of this question? I was wondering whether this is in connection with the formal development of Taylor series? In any case, I've found Taylor's Theorem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_theorem#Taylor's_theorem_in_one_real_variable
This is an exercise for practice for test as part of Calculus course, covering topics starting from function (domain, range, etc) up until Taylor (including limit, derivative, integration, ode).

fresh_42 said:
My understanding is that you are asked to show the equivalence of your definition of a derivative (I can only guess that this is the usual definition as a limit) and Weierstraß's formula
$$
f(a+h)=f(a)+ J_a(h) + r(h)
$$
where ##J_a(h)=f'(a)\cdot h## is the Jacobi matrix of ##f## that is the derivarive at ##x=a.## ##r(h)## is the remainder that tends faster to zero than ##h,## i.e. ##\lim_{h \to 0}\dfrac{r(h)}{h}=0.##

You do not need a Taylor series for that. It is just the linear approximation of ##f## by its derivative ##f'## at ##x=a##. All higher-order terms of the Taylor series are in ##O(h^2)## or ##r(h).## You only need the separation of the linear term and all the rest. Taylor would be an overkill since there would be nothing left to prove. Use the definitions of a derivative and a limit, that's all.
$$1) \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}=f'(a)$$
$$2) \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f'(a+h)-f'(a)}{h}=f"(a)$$
$$3) \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f"(a+h)-f"(a)}{h}=f^{3} (a)$$
$$4) \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}=f'(a)$$
$$5) \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{h^2}=f"(a)$$

Do you mean that is the starting point? Thanks

songoku said:
$$1) \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}=f'(a)$$
$$2) \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f'(a+h)-f'(a)}{h}=f"(a)$$
$$3) \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f"(a+h)-f"(a)}{h}=f^{3} (a)$$
$$4) \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}=f'(a)$$
$$5) \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{h^2}=f"(a)$$

Do you mean that is the starting point? Thanks
Yes.

If we have Weierstraß ##f(a+h)=f(a) +f'(a)\cdot h +r(h)## with ##\lim_{h \to 0}\dfrac{r(h)}{h}=0## then ##f(a-h)=f(a) -f'(a)\cdot h +r(h)## and ##\dfrac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2}=f'(a)\cdot h + r(h)## where ##r(h)## are possibly different remainders. However, ##\lim_{h \to 0}\dfrac{r(h)}{h}=0## holds for all of them. So writing the remainder as a power series yields
$$
\dfrac{r(h)}{h}=\dfrac{r_0}{h}=\dfrac{r_0}{h}+r_1+r_2h+O(h^2) \stackrel{h\to 0}{\longrightarrow }0
$$
and therefore ##r_0=r_1=0## and ##r(h)=r_2h^2+O(h^3)=O(h^2).##

The Weierstraß decomposition formula is equivalent to differentiability.
(e.g. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstraßsche_Zerlegungsformel#Beweis)
I haven't searched for an English version, but the formulas should do, or you use Chrome and let it translate the page to English (right-click), or you look on the internet for an English proof, or you prove it as an exercise, which I assumed this exercise is all about.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
songoku said:
This is an exercise for practice for test as part of Calculus course, covering topics starting from function (domain, range, etc) up until Taylor (including limit, derivative, integration, ode).
Use L'Hopital's rule, as suggested above.

Likes songoku and Hill
fresh_42 said:
$$
\dfrac{r(h)}{h}=\dfrac{r_0}{h}=\dfrac{r_0}{h}+r_1+r_2h+O(h^2) \stackrel{h\to 0}{\longrightarrow }0
$$
and therefore ##r_0=r_1=0## and ##r(h)=r_2h^2+O(h^3)=O(h^2).##
Sorry I don't understand this part. Why ##\dfrac{r(h)}{h}=\dfrac{r_0}{h}?## Then shouldn't it be ##r(h)=r_0##?

And also why ##r_0=r_1=0##?

PeroK said:
Use L'Hopital's rule, as suggested above.
$$\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)}{h^2}$$
$$=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)-f'(a).2h}{2h^3}$$
$$=\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f'(a+h)+f'(a-h)-2f'(a)}{6h^2}$$
$$=\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f"(a+h)-f"(a-h)}{12h}$$
$$=\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f^3 (a+h)+f^3 (a+h)}{12}$$
$$=\frac{f^3 (a)}{6}$$

Is this what you mean?

Thanks

That's exactly what @Hill and I meant!

Likes songoku and Hill
songoku said:
Sorry I don't understand this part. Why ##\dfrac{r(h)}{h}=\dfrac{r_0}{h}?## Then shouldn't it be ##r(h)=r_0##?

And also why ##r_0=r_1=0##?$$\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)}{2h}-f'(a)}{h^2}$$
$$=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(a+h)-f(a-h)-f'(a).2h}{2h^3}$$
$$=\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f'(a+h)+f'(a-h)-2f'(a)}{6h^2}$$
$$=\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f"(a+h)-f"(a-h)}{12h}$$
$$=\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f^3 (a+h)+f^3 (a+h)}{12}$$
$$=\frac{f^3 (a)}{6}$$

Is this what you mean?

Thanks
Except a small typo in the line before the last.

P.S. This is where the continuity of the third derivative is used.

Likes songoku and PeroK
Say ##r(h)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty r_kh^k.## Then
$$
0=\lim_{h \to 0}\dfrac{r(h)}{h}=\lim_{h \to 0}\sum_{k=0}^\infty r_kh^{k-1}\stackrel{h\to 0}{=}\lim_{h \to 0}\sum_{k=0}^1 r_kh^{k-1}=\lim_{h \to 0}\left(\dfrac{r_0}{h}+r_1\right)
$$
which can only be if ##r_0=r_1=0.## Thus ##r(h)=\sum_{k=2}^\infty r_kh^k=O(h^2).##

Last edited:
Likes songoku
Thank you very much for all the help and explanation Hill, FactChecker, renormalize, PeroK, fresh_42

Likes Hill and fresh_42

1. What is the definition of a derivative in calculus?

A derivative represents the rate of change of a function at a particular point. It is defined as the limit of the difference quotient as the interval over which it is computed approaches zero.

2. How is the derivative related to Big O notation?

In the context of algorithm analysis, the derivative can be used to determine the growth rate of a function. Big O notation is a way to describe the upper bound of a function's growth rate, and derivatives can help in analyzing this growth rate.

3. Can derivatives be used to prove properties related to Big O notation?

Yes, derivatives can be used to prove properties related to Big O notation. For example, by analyzing the behavior of a function and its derivative, one can determine whether the function satisfies certain growth rate conditions described by Big O notation.

4. What is the significance of proving properties related to Big O notation?

Proving properties related to Big O notation is important in algorithm analysis and complexity theory. It helps in understanding the efficiency and scalability of algorithms, as well as in comparing different algorithms based on their performance characteristics.

5. Are there any specific techniques or methods for proving properties related to Big O notation using derivatives?

There are various techniques and methods that can be used to prove properties related to Big O notation using derivatives. These may include analyzing the behavior of a function and its derivative, applying calculus concepts such as limits and derivatives, and using mathematical proofs to establish relationships between functions and their growth rates.