Why Does My DSI Pro II Show a Black or Grey Screen?

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with getting a live view image on a DSI Pro II camera, including black and grey screens with pepper dots and potential operator ignorance. The issue may be related to the exposure time and contrast and brightness settings, as well as the use of multiple USB repeater cables. The conversation also mentions the use of a powered USB hub to solve the issue. The goal of the conversation is to do astrophotography from the comfort of one's living room, and the challenges and expenses involved in this hobby.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can't get my dsi pro II to produce a live view image. I either get a black screen or a grey screen with pepper dots. I concede the possibility of operator ignorance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I had an issue with mine where it would "lock up" and not actually download images if I set the live view exposure time to more than about 2 seconds. Does your DSI do it when you set the exposure to different durations or only one or what? Also, make sure you set the contrast and brightness and all that to "auto" or you have to constantly adjust it. If it is set to manual you may be getting good data but it will look like a black screen if the range is too high.

Those probably are images. Do you have the automatic histogram function turned on? It will set the brightness for you. Point the scope at something bright and work the focuser - it may need to move far to get in focus.

The pepper dots are why you need "dark" frames, btw.

Last edited:
It appears multiple USB repeater cables are the problem. The camera appears functional with 1 5 meter cable, but, is unresponsive with more than 1 cable. I am going to try adding a powered usb hub. I have no problem running my dslr with 3 repeater cables, but, it is battery powered.

Just for the record I'm trying to do AP from the comfort of my living room, which is why I am using multiple repeater cables.

Chronos said:
Just for the record I'm trying to do AP from the comfort of my living room, which is why I am using multiple repeater cables.

I would love to do that. I have to babysit my stuff in my front yard only because I'm afraid someone is going to steal my laptop. Otherwise I'm not too terribly worried someone is going to come by and screw with my telescope. And I would use my backyard, but there is a gigantic tree that takes up about 75% of the sky.

I've been milking this cow for about a year. It has thrown new tricks at every turn. It looks like a decent finder scope is next in the que - assuming the dsi issue is resolved. With any luck I may realize success for less than 3x the cost I anticipated. I'm so dang deep into this project now I can't afford to quit.

Last edited:
It can definitely be a horribly expensive hobby...

Drakkith said:
I would love to do that. I have to babysit my stuff in my front yard only because I'm afraid someone is going to steal my laptop.
That's just it: the laptop is on his lap, in his living room. For me, the distance is a bit shorter, about 20' and the scope is on a 2nd story deck with no access from below. It is 20' from the scope to my couch, easily reachable by a 15' USB cable and a single 15' extension.

Chronos: make sure the cable says "active" on it, otherwise it is just letting the signal attenuate with distance.

russ_watters said:
That's just it: the laptop is on his lap, in his living room. For me, the distance is a bit shorter, about 20' and the scope is on a 2nd story deck with no access from below. It is 20' from the scope to my couch, easily reachable by a 15' USB cable and a single 15' extension.

Chronos: make sure the cable says "active" on it, otherwise it is just letting the signal attenuate with distance.

If I had an automatic focuser I'd probably try to make it all work, but I'm on a "about to not have a paycheck" budget, so can't do it at the moment lol.

Update. I strung 3 repeater cables to a powered hub and attached the dsi to the hub. The camera now appears functional. Evidently the power draw of the dsi was more than the repeater cables could deliver over more than one cable.

1. What is DSI Pro II Imaging?

DSI Pro II Imaging is a technique used in scientific research to capture and analyze digital images of biological samples. It involves using a specialized microscope and software to produce high-resolution images of samples such as cells, tissues, or organisms for further analysis.

2. What are some common issues that arise when using DSI Pro II Imaging?

Some common issues that may arise when using DSI Pro II Imaging include image distortion, poor image quality, and difficulty in capturing specific structures or features of the sample. These issues can be caused by technical problems with the equipment, improper sample preparation, or user error.

3. How can I troubleshoot DSI Pro II Imaging issues?

To troubleshoot DSI Pro II Imaging issues, first check the equipment for any technical problems or malfunctions. If everything appears to be in working order, review your sample preparation process and ensure it meets the necessary requirements for DSI Pro II Imaging. You can also consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

4. Are there any tips for improving DSI Pro II Imaging results?

Yes, there are several tips for improving DSI Pro II Imaging results. These include using a high-quality sample, properly adjusting the microscope settings, and ensuring proper lighting and contrast. It is also important to follow the recommended procedures and techniques for sample preparation and image capture.

5. Can I use DSI Pro II Imaging for any type of sample?

DSI Pro II Imaging is primarily used for biological samples, but it can also be used for other materials such as medical devices or industrial samples. However, the sample must be compatible with the microscope and software, and may require specialized techniques for preparation and imaging.