Liouville's Theorem Explained - Laymen's Terms

• Thread starter Pr0x1mo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Liouville's theorem states that in a statistical system with many repetitions of the same subsystem, the number density in phase space remains constant over time under certain conditions. This can be thought of as an incompressible fluid in phase space, where the function mapping each state of the subsystem to the number of subsystems in that state remains constant. However, this only holds true when following an element of the fluid and does not apply at a specific point in phase space.
Pr0x1mo
I know this is a broad question, but can someone explain to me, in the most laymen's way, what this theorem is?

Physics news on Phys.org
anybody??

http://astron.berkeley.edu/~jrg/ay202/node27.html

I got the above reference using Google (Liouville's theorem). There are a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, think of a statistical system that consists of many repetitions of the same subsystem. All of the subsystems can be in different states at the same time.

So imagine a function which maps each state a subsytem could be in (characterized by positions, momentums etc) to the number of subsystems within the statistical system which are currently in that state. What I have described is a number density in phase space, analagous to the density of a fluid p(x,y,z).

Liouville's theorem says that under certain conditions this fluid is incompressible, that is the number density in phase space is a constant (in time).

Maybe I will get in trouble with others for being too imprecise, or maybe that wasn't really very satisfying for you. You know what Feynman said, "If I'm making sense I'm lying, if I am telling the truth I'm not making sense", of people who wanted a watered down QED.

Crosson said:
Liouville's theorem says that under certain conditions this fluid is incompressible, that is the number density in phase space is a constant (in time).

Make sure you specify that this is only true if you're following an element of the fluid. It's not true at a given point in phase space:

[tex]\frac{Df}{Dt}=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t} \ne 0[/tex]

It is an exercise in circular logic.. my 2 cents worth.

1. What is Liouville's Theorem?

Liouville's Theorem is a mathematical principle that deals with the preservation of certain quantities in physical systems. It states that the total amount of a specific quantity, such as energy or momentum, remains constant over time as long as the system is isolated and there are no external forces acting on it.

2. Why is Liouville's Theorem important?

Liouville's Theorem is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It allows us to determine which quantities are conserved and how they will change over time, which is crucial in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

3. Can you explain Liouville's Theorem in laymen's terms?

Sure! Liouville's Theorem basically says that if you have a system that's completely closed off and nothing is pushing or pulling on it, then the total amount of a certain thing, like energy or momentum, will stay the same over time.

4. How does Liouville's Theorem relate to classical mechanics?

Liouville's Theorem is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is used to describe the behavior of physical systems with a large number of particles, such as gases, liquids, and solids.

5. Are there any exceptions to Liouville's Theorem?

Yes, there are some exceptions to Liouville's Theorem. It only applies to systems that are completely isolated and have no external forces acting on them. In reality, most systems are not completely isolated and are influenced by external factors, so Liouville's Theorem is not always applicable.