How to proof the polarity of the reflected wave of Oblique incident.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to electromagnetic boundary conditions and the reflected electric field. The attachment shows that the book assumes a specific form for the reflected electric field, but the individual is struggling to understand why and is looking for a proof. They mention that most books only give the polarity and ask for any articles or notes to help with their understanding. Another user suggests solving the problem using boundary conditions, but the individual is still struggling and would like some insight. They mention a previous post where they are having difficulty with the assumption that the reflected wave is tangential to the boundary, and they are looking for a proof that the reflected wave is a TEM wave.
yungman
As shown in the attachment, the book assumes ##\hat E_{||}^r=\hat y_r=(\hat x
\cos \theta_r +\hat z \sin\theta_r)##. Why? How do you proof this. I have another post here about the Normal Incidence and no luck.

I am not even convinced that the reflected E is even in the Plane of Incidence, how do you even proof this. I have 5 EM books only Griffiths even attempt to proof in a way I don't even agree for the Normal Incidence. Every book pretty much just give the polarity. If anyone have article or notes, please share with me.

Thanks

Alan

Attachments

• Oblique L.jpg
    Oblique L.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 416
Science news on Phys.org
Try solving the problem there. I faced the very same hurdle. The boundary conditions beautifully bring out the result

Attachments

• griffiths.bmp
    441.5 KB · Views: 503
sudu.ghonge said:
Try solving the problem there. I faced the very same hurdle. The boundary conditions beautifully bring out the result

Actually this is exactly what I was struggling with in the other post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=694386

I am going no where, I spent like two days thinking about that problem already, please take a look and give me some insight. I have the solution manual and I just don't agree with it. The hint make an assumption the the reflected wave is tangential as a starter and where is the proof that the reflected wave is even tangential to the boundary?

For me, the proof I can accept is if ## \hat n_R=\hat x \cos \theta_R+\hat y \sin\theta_R+ \hat z f(\theta_R)## and proof that y and z component are both zero. Or better yet, proof reflection of a TEM wave is also a TEM wave.

Thanks

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of polarity of a wave?

The polarity of a wave refers to the direction in which the wave oscillates or vibrates. It can be positive, negative, or neutral.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect the polarity of a reflected wave?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which a wave hits a surface. When the incident wave is perpendicular to the surface, the polarity of the reflected wave will be the same as the incident wave. As the angle of incidence increases, the polarity of the reflected wave may change.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection?

The angle of incidence and the angle of reflection are always equal when a wave reflects off a surface. This is known as the law of reflection.

4. How can you experimentally determine the polarity of a reflected wave?

One method is to use a polarizing filter. Place the filter in front of the incident wave and rotate it until the intensity of the reflected wave is reduced to a minimum. The direction of the filter's transmission axis will be perpendicular to the polarity of the reflected wave.

5. Can the polarity of a reflected wave be altered by the medium it travels through?

Yes, the medium through which a wave travels can affect the polarity of the reflected wave. This is known as the Fresnel equations, which describe how the polarity of a wave changes when it moves from one medium to another with different refractive indices.