Diffraction theory, power density and angle of incidence

kagestodder
TL;DR Summary
My question: How do i account for the angle of incidence so that there is a connection between the amount of power hitting the aperture is the same that also gets diffracted.
Hello everybody

I am currently looking at diffraction through a rectangular aperture. I am looking at an aperture which is large compared to wavelength, and am looking at diffraction at all angles behind the aperture in a distance which is approx equal to the size of the aperture. I am computing diffraction patterns computationally.

I have now hit somewhat of a wall wrt. understanding of the diffraction integrals. I am using kirchhoff diffraction integral and rayleigh-sommerfeldt diffraction integral, where the only difference between them is how the obliquity factor is defined(?).
The issue arises when i look at the problem wrt. power. Do the diffraction integral account for the angle of incidence of the plane wave hitting the aperture? Say a plane wave at an incidencde hits the aperture with some power density. The angle of incidence will affect the visible area of the aperture, and therefore the amount of energy hitting the aperture. When looking at kirchhoffs diffraction integral the two cosines of the integral will say that even when the incident wave hits the aperture at a large angle to the normal of the aperture, there will still be quite a powerfull diffracted field. But from a power perspective, almost nothing will hit the aperture. And the rayleigh-sommerfeldt diffraction integral has no parameter for the angle of incidence. Would it make sense to look at the incoming power desnity, convert this to a E-field value using the apparent aperture area and then use this as U0?

My question: How do i account for the angle of incidence so that there is a connection between the amount of power hitting the aperture is the same that also gets diffracted.

I hope this makes sense. Please correct me as i feel i am on deep water with this at the moment! :)

Science news on Phys.org
I think the way to look at this from a practical point of view is that the problem is the same as for a narrow mirror instead of a slit. In such a case it seems that the power hitting the projected area of the mirror should be used, and the reflected beam will be concentrated at the geometrical angle of reflection. The diffraction effects, however, will broaden the beam and will create sidelobes. I notice that you are very close to the slit, within the near radiation zone no doubt, so the incident power will vary across the aperture and in addition, the diffracted pattern will vary with distance.

Reading the question more closely it seems slightly simpler than I had supposed. Although the emergent rays are measured close to the slit, so the pattern will vary with distance, the incident power is uniform across the slit. The incident power will still be that striking the projected area of the slit.

tech99 said:
Reading the question more closely it seems slightly simpler than I had supposed. Although the emergent rays are measured close to the slit, so the pattern will vary with distance, the incident power is uniform across the slit. The incident power will still be that striking the projected area of the slit.
Thanks

This was my assumption as Well. However it does not seem to hold such that the power hitting the slit (or mirror if we look at it like that) is not equal to integrating the power over a half sphere on the diffracted side of the aperture. This is the reason why I have become unsure.

So to me it seems like there is less power diffracted than hitting the aperture.

I compare
Pin = E0*E0*A
And
Pr = sum(Er*Er*2pi*r*r/ds), with ds being the sampling area of each point in the half sphere. And A the area of the aperture.

The values should be comparable and close to each other.

I may still be looking at this the wrong way.

Are you using the square of field strength when you calculate power?

tech99 said:
Are you using the square of field strength when you calculate power?

Yes abs E squared!

I have been unable to find any sources or anything looking at these diffraction scenarios with regards to power in / power out. Any cases with results that I could copy the geometry from to verify my calculations could also help. For now it seems like the power hitting the aperture is more than gets diffracted on the other side of the aperture.

1. What is diffraction theory?

Diffraction theory is a branch of physics that explains how waves interact with obstacles or openings in a medium. It is based on the principle that when a wave encounters an obstacle or an opening, it bends around it and spreads out, creating a pattern of interference.

2. How is power density related to diffraction?

Power density is a measure of the amount of power per unit area. In diffraction theory, power density is used to describe the intensity of a diffracted wave. The power density of a diffracted wave decreases as the distance from the source increases.

3. What is the angle of incidence in diffraction theory?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which a wave approaches an obstacle or opening. In diffraction theory, the angle of incidence is an important factor in determining the direction and intensity of the diffracted wave. It is usually measured from the normal (perpendicular) to the surface of the obstacle or opening.

4. How does the size of the obstacle or opening affect diffraction?

The size of the obstacle or opening has a significant impact on diffraction. According to diffraction theory, the smaller the obstacle or opening, the more pronounced the diffraction effects will be. This is because smaller obstacles or openings cause more bending and spreading of the waves, resulting in a more complex interference pattern.

5. Can diffraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, diffraction can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when light passes through a narrow opening, it creates a diffraction pattern on a surface behind it. This is also why we can see rainbows when light passes through small water droplets in the air. Diffraction is also used in technologies such as microscopes and telescopes to produce clearer images.