Looking for a good Quantum Mechanics book for self study.

In summary, the speaker has a background in physics and recently retired. They have been revisiting their studies by working through a calculus book and a book on differential equations. They are now looking for a good book on quantum mechanics and have been recommended Ballentine, which can be found by searching the forum for other references.
Bob Z.
I majored in physics in college and have a master's degree from Michigan State Univ. in physics. I just recently retired and have the urge to revisit some of my old studies. In the last year I've refreshed the intellectual side of myself by working thru a calculus book and book on differential equations. Any suggestions for a good book on quantum mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've been able to study physics at the master's level in the past, coming back to it for the fun of learning, I would strongly recommend Ballentine. Search this forum for other references for this text.

Likes 1 person

1. What are the best Quantum Mechanics books for self-study?

Some popular and highly recommended books for self-study in Quantum Mechanics include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller.

2. What is Quantum Mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of particles at this scale, and has led to many technological advancements such as transistors, lasers, and medical imaging devices.

3. Is it possible to learn Quantum Mechanics on your own?

Yes, it is possible to learn Quantum Mechanics on your own, but it requires dedication, time, and a strong understanding of mathematics. It is recommended to have a background in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations before attempting to learn Quantum Mechanics on your own.

4. How can I supplement my self-study of Quantum Mechanics?

In addition to reading books, there are many online resources available for self-study in Quantum Mechanics. These include lecture videos, online courses, and interactive simulations. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and discussing concepts with others, such as through online forums or study groups.

5. What are some tips for effectively studying Quantum Mechanics on your own?

Some tips for effectively studying Quantum Mechanics on your own include setting a schedule and sticking to it, breaking up the material into manageable chunks, practicing problems regularly, and seeking help or clarification when needed. It is also important to have a strong foundation in the mathematical concepts used in Quantum Mechanics.