Nonlinear Equation: Solve x,y,z

In summary, the equations can be rewritten in terms of p, q, and r, and solving for these variables will give the non-zero solutions for x, y, and z. The trivial solution is (0,0,0).
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

Solve x,y and z from [tex]
\frac{y+z}{a}= \frac{x+z}{b}=\frac{x+y}{c} = xyz
[/tex]

wit a,b,c not equal to zero.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start. I've tried several things but it seems like I'm missing something. I did find the trivial solution (0,0,0).

Physics news on Phys.org
dirk_mec1 said:

Homework Statement

[/tex]

Homework Equations

I have no idea how to start. I've tried several things but it seems like I'm missing something. I did find the trivial solution (0,0,0).

You say you tried several things. What were they? You need to show your work.

dirk_mec1 said:

Homework Statement

[/tex]

Homework Equations

Rewrite the equation as
$$\frac{1}{a}\left(\frac{1}{xz}+\frac{1}{xy}\right)=\frac{1}{b} \left( \frac{1}{yz}+\frac{1}{xy}\right)=\frac{1}{c}\left(\frac{1}{yz}+\frac{1}{xz}\right)=1$$
Substitute ##1/(xy)=p, 1/(yz)=q## and ##1/(xz)=r##. Form three equations to find p, q and r. This gives the possible non-zero solutions.

Understood, thanks.

1. What is a nonlinear equation?

A nonlinear equation is an equation in which the variables are raised to powers other than 1 and are also multiplied together. This makes the equation nonlinear because the variables are not directly proportional to each other.

2. How do you solve a nonlinear equation?

To solve a nonlinear equation, you need to use methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphical methods. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate one variable and then solving for its value.

3. Can a nonlinear equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a nonlinear equation can have more than one solution. In fact, most nonlinear equations have more than one solution, making it more challenging to solve compared to linear equations which typically have only one solution.

4. What are the applications of nonlinear equations in science?

Nonlinear equations have many applications in science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are used to model complex systems and phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

5. Are there any software programs that can solve nonlinear equations?

Yes, there are many software programs that can solve nonlinear equations, such as MATLAB, Maple, and Mathematica. These programs use advanced algorithms and numerical methods to find solutions to nonlinear equations quickly and accurately.