Field Strenght Tensor and its Dual (in SR)

In summary: the dual field tensor is not just a copy of the original field strength tensor, it has its own properties.
Zag
Hello everyone,

I have recently read a puzzling statement on my Electromagnetism (Chapter on Special Relativity) material regarding the Field Strength Tensor, [itex]F^{\mu\nu}[/itex], and its dual, [itex]\tilde{F}^{\mu\nu}[/itex]. Since I've been thinking about this for a while now, and still can't understand it, I was hoping to hear your thoughts about it.

I believe we all agree that a possible definition for the Dual Tensor in terms of the original Field Strength Tensor is the following:

[itex]\tilde{F}^{\mu\nu} = \frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{\mu\nu\sigma\rho}F_{\sigma\rho}[/itex]

Having that in mind, the text states the following:

"It can be shown that this is the only way in which we can construct a Lorentz-invariant four-tensor involving the fields that is independent of the original field strength tensor."

I can't understand why should this be the case, nor can I come up with a proof for this statement. Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much,
Zag

Physics news on Phys.org
"Independent of the original field strength tensor" doesn't sound right to me...obviously the field strength and its dual hold the exact same information, and there is a 1-1 correspondence between the two with a simple way to go from one to the other. Perhaps the book is using the word "independent" in a way that I'm missing right now...?

I'm sure you can prove it: [itex] \tilde{F}^{\mu\nu} = A^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}F_{\rho\sigma} [/itex]. [itex] A=A\left(\delta,\epsilon,g\right) [/itex].

Thank you for your replies, everyone.

Matterwave said:
"Independent of the original field strength tensor" doesn't sound right to me...obviously the field strength and its dual hold the exact same information, and there is a 1-1 correspondence between the two with a simple way to go from one to the other. Perhaps the book is using the word "independent" in a way that I'm missing right now...?
Maybe the author meant "linearly independent"? I'm not sure.

dextercioby said:
I'm sure you can prove it: [itex] \tilde{F}^{\mu\nu} = A^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}F_{\rho\sigma} [/itex]. [itex] A=A\left(\delta,\epsilon,g\right) [/itex].
Could you elaborate more on this dextercioby? I am not sure if I am able to follow your notation here.

I've always thought this style of reasoning somewhat bizarre. "What tensors can you make out of X, Y, and Z?". I think it misses the point. We're not interested in tensors because they have such-and-such transformation properties; we're interested in tensors because they represent real, measurable objects and not coordinate artifacts.

The physical significance of the dual field tensor is quite clear: it exchanges the roles of ##\vec E## and ##\vec B##. So if ##F## describes a bunch of electric charges, then ##\tilde F \equiv \star F## describes a bunch of magnetic monopoles.

Likes 1 person
Zag said:
dextercioby said:
Could you elaborate more on this dextercioby? I am not sure if I am able to follow your notation here.
I believe he's pointing out that this is not so much a property of the electromagnetic field as it is a property of four dimensions. He's saying, "*F must contain the same components as F, rearranged in some linear fashion, hence it can be obtained from F by multiplication with some constant tensor A," and asking, "What are the only rank four tensors A which have the desired symmetry properties [antisymmetric on the first pair of indices and the last pair] and can be built using only the Kronecker delta δ, the epsilon tensor ε and the metric g"?

Anyone know what the author meant by "independent"? It's irking me that I can't figure out that statement...it can't be linear independence right since any symmetric tensor is linearly independent from an anti-symmetric tensor...

Matterwave said:
Anyone know what the author meant by "independent"? It's irking me that I can't figure out that statement...it can't be linear independence right since any symmetric tensor is linearly independent from an anti-symmetric tensor...

They have different transformation properties under the Lorentz group [itex]SL(2, \mathbb{C})[/itex]. In terms of the (self-dual) [itex](1,0)[/itex] and the (antiself-dual) [itex](0,1)[/itex] representations, they can be expressed as
[tex]F_{ \mu \nu } = ( F^{ ( 1 , 0 ) } + F^{ ( 0 , 1 ) } )_{ \mu \nu } ,[/tex]
[tex]^{*}F_{ \mu \nu } = ( F^{ ( 1 , 0 ) } - F^{ ( 0 , 1 ) } )_{ \mu \nu } .[/tex]
They also are linearly independent: [itex]a_{ 1 } F_{ \mu \nu } + a_{ 2 } \epsilon_{ \mu \nu \rho \sigma } F^{ \rho \sigma } \neq 0[/itex] for non-zero [itex](a_{ 1 }, a_{ 2 })[/itex].

Last edited:
I'm not saying that they aren't linearly independent, I'm just saying that the dual tensor can't possibly be the only rank 2 tensor that's linearly independent... there should be 14 other ones from a simple counting of components.

Matterwave said:
I'm not saying that they aren't linearly independent, I'm just saying that the dual tensor can't possibly be the only rank 2 tensor that's linearly independent... there should be 14 other ones from a simple counting of components.
The quote alluded to the independence of the rank 4 tensor.

The totally anti-symmetric tensor is the only totally antisymmetric rank 4 tensor in 4 dimensions, but there are still 253 linearly independent other rank 4 tensors in 4 dimensions...? I'm still so confused by that statement lol.

Possibly helpful...

By googling your quoted sentence without the quotes, the second link leads to
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1404.0409 (see page 2)

(What is the original source of your quote? What is the context?)

Likes 1 person
Matterwave said:
The totally anti-symmetric tensor is the only totally antisymmetric rank 4 tensor in 4 dimensions, but there are still 253 linearly independent other rank 4 tensors in 4 dimensions...? I'm still so confused by that statement lol.
The point is that the rank-4 tensor must be built from quantities intrinsic to the 4-geometry. As stated above, these are only the Kronecker delta δ, the metric g, and the epsilon tensor ε. Yes there are many other possible rank-4 tensors, but the additional structure necessary to build them would represent some physical quantity occupying the spacetime and breaking Lorentz invariance.

Likes 1 person
Matterwave said:

Can you state a QUESTION instead of throwing meaningless numbers at me? In 4-dimensional Minkowski space-time, there are two Lorentz-invariant tensors, the metric [itex]\eta_{ \mu \nu }[/itex] and the totally antisymmetric tensor [itex]\epsilon_{ \mu \nu \rho \sigma }[/itex]. From these you can show that the only rank-2, antisymmetric tensor that can be constructed from [itex]F_{ \mu \nu }[/itex] and linearly independent of it, is the dual tensor [itex]\epsilon_{ \mu \nu \rho \sigma } F^{ \rho \sigma }[/itex].

robphy said:
Possibly helpful...

By googling your quoted sentence without the quotes, the second link leads to
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1404.0409 (see page 2)

(What is the original source of your quote? What is the context?)

Thanks. The quote in that paper makes sense to me.

Ben Niehoff said:
I've always thought this style of reasoning somewhat bizarre. "What tensors can you make out of X, Y, and Z?". I think it misses the point. We're not interested in tensors because they have such-and-such transformation properties; we're interested in tensors because they represent real, measurable objects and not coordinate artifacts.

The physical significance of the dual field tensor is quite clear: it exchanges the roles of ##\vec E## and ##\vec B##. So if ##F## describes a bunch of electric charges, then ##\tilde F \equiv \star F## describes a bunch of magnetic monopoles.

Bill_K said:
The point is that the rank-4 tensor must be built from quantities intrinsic to the 4-geometry. As stated above, these are only the Kronecker delta δ, the metric g, and the epsilon tensor ε. Yes there are many other possible rank-4 tensors, but the additional structure necessary to build them would represent some physical quantity occupying the spacetime and breaking Lorentz invariance.

Thank you for your reply, guys. It makes more sense now thinking in these terms. I really appreciate your help. :)

1. What is the Field Strength Tensor in Special Relativity?

The Field Strength Tensor is a mathematical tool used to describe the electromagnetic field in special relativity. It is a 4x4 matrix that contains information about the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields at any given point in space and time.

2. How is the Field Strength Tensor related to Maxwell's equations?

The Field Strength Tensor is related to Maxwell's equations through the electromagnetic field tensor, which is a combination of the electric and magnetic field components of the Field Strength Tensor. This tensor is an essential part of Maxwell's equations and helps to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields in special relativity.

3. What is the role of the Dual Field Strength Tensor?

The Dual Field Strength Tensor is the mathematical dual of the Field Strength Tensor. It is used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields in special relativity in a different way. The dual tensor is related to the Field Strength Tensor through a mathematical operation called Hodge dual, and it contains information about the electric and magnetic field strengths in terms of their dual quantities.

4. How is the Field Strength Tensor used in practical applications?

The Field Strength Tensor is used in many practical applications, such as in electromagnetism and particle physics. It allows scientists to calculate the electric and magnetic fields at any point in space and time, which is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves and particles.

5. Can the Field Strength Tensor be used in other theories besides Special Relativity?

Yes, the Field Strength Tensor can be used in other theories besides Special Relativity, such as general relativity and quantum field theory. In these theories, the tensor may be defined slightly differently, but it still serves the same purpose of describing the electromagnetic field and its behavior.