Car out of legos using the LEGO Mindstorms and gears

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for increasing speed and torque in a LEGO Mindstorms car using gear ratios. The first method involves using gears of different sizes, while the second method involves attaching multiple gears to the same axle. A question is raised about the difference in speed and torque between the two methods, and it is clarified that the second method actually produces a higher speed but at the cost of torque.
alex568
Hi, I'm trying to build a car out of legos using the LEGO Mindstorms set that will go really fast. I'm familiar with the concept of gear ratios (i.e. a 40t gear driving an 8t gear) and using that to increase speed, at the cost of torque. Another method is to attach an axle to the following 8t gear and attach another 40t gear to the same axle and have that turn another 8t gear etc. Somewhere else on this forum, another question relating to gears was asked here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=70333

and it was stated that "so a 8t driving 40t then followed by 8t then 40t, 8t, 40t

produces 1:5 * 1:5 * 1:5, which produces 1:125, which produces a lot of torque at the cost of speed?

on the other hand, a

40t driving, 8t, 40t, 8t, 40t produces

5:1 * 5:1 * 5:1, which is 125:1, produces a lot of speed at the cost of torque?"

I don't quite understand this statement, because in the second example, if the first 40t gear was rotating at 1rpm, the 8t gear would be rotating at 5rpm, rotating the other 40t gear at 1rpm, rotating the 8t gear at 5 rpm, followed by a 40t gear rotating at 1rpm. So wouldn't it be the same 5:1 ratio?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gears are paired and fixed on the same axle. The second 1 & 5 aren't meshed, they are attached face-to-face. Otherwise, you'd have 1:5*5:1*1:5*5:1*1:5

Hello! Building a car out of legos using the LEGO Mindstorms set sounds like a fun project. You are correct in your understanding of gear ratios and how they affect speed and torque. The first example you mentioned, with the 8t gear driving a 40t gear, is called a "reduction" gear. This means that the output speed is slower than the input speed, but the output torque is higher. This is useful for tasks that require a lot of force, such as lifting heavy objects.

The second example you mentioned, with the 40t gear driving an 8t gear, is called a "multiplication" gear. This means that the output speed is faster than the input speed, but the output torque is lower. This is useful for tasks that require high speed, such as a car.

In the second example, you are correct that the overall gear ratio is 5:1, but this ratio is achieved by multiplying the individual gear ratios. So, the first 40t gear rotates 5 times for every 1 rotation of the 8t gear. Then, the 8t gear rotates 5 times for every 1 rotation of the second 40t gear. And so on. This is why the overall ratio is 125:1, which is a lot of speed at the cost of torque.

I hope this helps clarify the statement you were confused about. Keep experimenting and have fun building your lego car!

1. How do you build a car out of Lego using the LEGO Mindstorms and gears?

Building a car out of Legos using the LEGO Mindstorms and gears requires following these steps: 1. Gather all the necessary materials including the LEGO Mindstorms set and gears. 2. Plan out the design of your car and decide on the size and number of wheels. 3. Build the base of the car using the LEGO bricks and attach the gears to the wheels. 4. Connect the wheels to the base using the gears and test for smooth movement. 5. Use the LEGO Mindstorms software to program the car's movement. 6. Finally, add any additional features or decorations to your car.

2. Can I build a remote-controlled car using the LEGO Mindstorms and gears?

Yes, you can build a remote-controlled car using the LEGO Mindstorms and gears. The LEGO Mindstorms set comes with a remote control and the necessary components to build a car that can be controlled remotely. Simply follow the instructions in the set to build and program the car for remote control.

3. How do I make my LEGO car move using gears?

To make your LEGO car move using gears, you will need to attach gears to the wheels of the car. As the gears turn, they will cause the wheels to turn and move the car forward. You can also use different sized gears to control the speed and direction of the car's movement.

4. Can I customize the design of my LEGO car using the LEGO Mindstorms and gears?

Yes, you can customize the design of your LEGO car using the LEGO Mindstorms and gears. The Mindstorms set comes with various bricks, gears, and other components that can be used to create different designs. You can also use your own creativity to add unique features and decorations to your car.

5. Is it difficult to build a car out of Lego using the LEGO Mindstorms and gears?

Building a car out of Lego using the LEGO Mindstorms and gears can be challenging, but it is not difficult with the right instructions and practice. The Mindstorms set comes with step-by-step instructions for building a basic car, and from there you can experiment and add your own modifications. With patience and perseverance, you can create a functional and fun LEGO car using the Mindstorms and gears.