Calculate Voltage Drop of Underground Cable | XLPE Cable Table 13.8 kV

• Thread starter bigjoe5263
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of sequence impedance in calculating voltage drop of a cable, as well as the search for a table of XLPE cable specifications. The participants also mention their familiarity with transmission lines and offer resources for further information. One participant also explains the concept of symmetrical components in AC systems.
bigjoe5263
Hello guys,

If form example I am given the sequence impedance of a cable ( positive, negative, zero) Will I use all of these impedances to calculate the voltage drop of the cable? or only the positive impedance?

Anyone here knows where can I find table of xlpe cable (various sizes) for 13.8 kV distribution line which contain the following, ac resistance, inductive reactance and capacitance... please need your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not very familiar with transmission lines at 50/60Hz power main frequencies, and I'm not familiar with the terms you are using for impedance. Do you have pointers to some cable datasheets that might help us answer your question?

This is the kind of characteristic impedance terms and equations that I'm familiar with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristic_impedance

A really good place to start would be here:
http://www.okonite.com/
These guys have been in the cable section for a good many years. Check the engineering/tech section.

Related to Calculate Voltage Drop of Underground Cable | XLPE Cable Table 13.8 kV

1. What is the formula for calculating voltage drop of underground cables?

The formula for calculating voltage drop of underground cables is VD = (I * L * R * PF) / 1000, where VD is the voltage drop, I is the current, L is the length of the cable, R is the resistance per unit length of the cable, and PF is the power factor.

2. What is XLPE cable and how does it affect voltage drop calculation?

XLPE (Cross-linked Polyethylene) cable is a type of underground cable that has a higher insulation level and can handle higher voltages. It has a lower resistance per unit length compared to other types of cables, which results in a lower voltage drop.

3. How do I determine the correct cable size for a specific voltage drop?

To determine the correct cable size for a specific voltage drop, you will need to know the current, length of the cable, and the acceptable voltage drop percentage. You can then use the voltage drop formula and adjust the cable size until you achieve the desired voltage drop.

4. Is the voltage drop the same for all types of underground cables?

No, the voltage drop varies depending on the type of underground cable used. Factors such as the material, size, and insulation level of the cable can affect the voltage drop calculation.

5. How does the power factor impact the voltage drop of underground cables?

The power factor is a measure of how efficiently the electrical energy is being used. A lower power factor can result in a higher voltage drop, as it means more energy is being lost due to inefficiency in the system.