Modelling of tranformer and MV cable for harmonic studies

In summary: It seems like all of that information would be in the datasheets for the transformer and cable. What have you found so far in your searching? Who is a typical manufacturer of such transformers and cables?Thanks for your reply. I contacted the manufacturer but its been more than a week, didnt hear from them. My supervisor in university said you can ask on forums and can approach other manufacturers also. Actually this data was to be provided by my research institute where i am working as they have their own lab which has external 20 kV grid connection at one end followed by 20 kV MV cable, 630 kVA transformer and then PV park. My first step
waqasakbar323
TL;DR Summary
For my research project, modelling is needed for dyn5 630 kVA transformer and 20 kV cable NA2XS(F)2Y to do harmonic analysis. For that i need leakage reactance, and resistance of copper losses for transformer. And following parameters for 20 kV cable are also needed.

Positive, negative and zero sequence of resistance, reactance and susceptance.

Can anyone help in it?
For my research project, modelling is needed for dyn5 630 kVA transformer and 20 kV cable NA2XS(F)2Y to do harmonic analysis. For that i need leakage reactance, and resistance of copper losses for transformer. And following parameters for 20 kV cable are also needed.

Positive, negative and zero sequence of resistance, reactance and susceptance.

Can anyone help in it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

It seems like all of that information would be in the datasheets for the transformer and cable. What have you found so far in your searching? Who is a typical manufacturer of such transformers and cables?

berkeman said:
It seems like all of that information would be in the datasheets
@berkeman is correct. You don't want data for any transformer, any cable. You want it for a specific transformer and cable. For that, you need data from the manufacturer, not from Internet forums.

Likes DaveE and berkeman
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

It seems like all of that information would be in the datasheets for the transformer and cable. What have you found so far in your searching? Who is a typical manufacturer of such transformers and cables?
Thanks for your reply. I contacted the manufacturer but its been more than a week, didnt hear from them. My supervisor in university said you can ask on forums and can approach other manufacturers also. Actually this data was to be provided by my research institute where i am working as they have their own lab which has external 20 kV grid connection at one end followed by 20 kV MV cable, 630 kVA transformer and then PV park. My first step is to model the lab components. Because my project goal is to model for harmonic studies. So frequency response analysis should be performed by my institute in lab and the required data would have been used for modelling and simulation. But issue is, my institute did not perform frequency analysis. Now i am instructed to find a way to model MV cable and transformer in any way. I found somewhere that frequency scan for each component will help me to find

For oil filled type and dry type transformer see attached some catalogues
OIL FILLED TRANSFORMER CATALOGUE.jpg
OIL FILLED TRANSFORMER CATALOGUE.jpg

Attachments

• OIL TYPE MV.pdf
    861.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Dry Type transformer.pdf
    545.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Informative
Likes DaveE and berkeman
For the cable this file will be more specific

Attachments

• NA2XSF2Y_1220_kVDSCZEN$APP_MV_DS_EN-CS.pdf
    79.4 KB · Views: 100
Babadag said:
For oil filled type and dry type transformer see attached some catalogues
That's interesting. What do they mean by measuring Impedance in %? Does that represent the Leagage Inductance divided by the Magnetizing Inductance maybe? ##\frac{L_k}{L_m}##

1651680709074.png

In fact, this is the short -circuit impedance related to the nominal impedance.
The rated impedance it is Zrat=Vrat^2/Srat and Zsc=R+jX |Zsc|=sqrt(R^2+X^2) uk%=|Zsc|/Zrat*100

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Actually, uk=Zsc*Irat it is the measured short-circuit voltage, indeed.
In short-circuit case the secondary impedance is very low so you may neglect the main magnetic flux impedance [considered infinite].
R it is the equivalent resistance [it depends on which side is considered the applied voltage Vrat] for instance if Vrat it is primary voltage, then k=Vp/Vs and then R=Rp+Rs*k^2 at conductor rated temperature.
X=leakage magnetic flux reactance=Xp+k^2*Xs

Babadag said:
In short-circuit case the secondary impedance is very low so you may neglect the main magnetic flux impedance [considered infinite].
Considered infinite , because for a shorted secondary the primary cannot achieve flux saturation in the core as the flux increases secondary current increases and therefore primary current increasing doesn't lead to an increased core flux at some point but instead at ever increasing secondary current?
And then whatever gives out first, either the primary supply or the secondary melts and becomes open circuit I assume.

Babadag said:
For oil filled type and dry type transformer see attached some cataloguesView attachment 300994View attachment 300994
Thanks for your reply.
I am using DigSilent PowerFactory software for modelling and simulation. I would like to explain more that which approach i am using.
For MV cable:
PowerFactory suggest to model cables based on geometric data for harmonic analysis. I will be inserting all geometric data, conducting, insulating layers information and cable arrangement (trefoil or flat space). In result, PowerFactory will generate impedance and admittance matrix which can be used to validate resistance, reactance and susceptance from data sheet. I think Cable modelling is pretty clear now. All i wanted was manufacturer parameters which you sent. Thanks for that. If anything is missing according to you, you can give your feedback.
For transformer:
Do you have idea how transformer is modeled for simulation for harmonic studies? What i found is, series leakage inductance and copper losses are mainly frequency dependent. So to model it, one can get these parameters from manufacturer. It should be in tabulated form as sample shown.But unfortunately, the manufacturer of transformer in our lab has not performed frequency analysis on this transformer. Now my supervisor says, to get these leakage inductance and copper losses based on frequency from any other source (literature, simulation software developers, open forums or any other manufacturers). That is why i am using this forum. But the parameters you mentioned does not seem like a frequency scale characteristics of transformer. What is your comments? Maybe our discussion can give my work a favourable direction. Thanks

Attachments

• Sample-FREQUENCY SCALE CHARACTERISTICS OF TRANSFORMER.PNG
    Sample-FREQUENCY SCALE CHARACTERISTICS OF TRANSFORMER.PNG
    20.9 KB · Views: 82
About the table and diagram attached:
I don't know what is "relative transformer resistance r(f)". In my opinion it could be the resistance of 75oC with respect to 105oC[ class A insulation].
However, for 630 kVA 0.4kV transformer X/R=5 and current density j=1.3 A/mm^2 copper conductor Irat=630/sqrt(3)/0.4 then Irat/j=700 mm^2 secondary copper conductor. Then 1m at 20oC copper conductor will be:
R[20oC,1m]=1/58/700=2.463E-05 ohm/m
R(105oC)=(234.5+105)/(234.5+20)*2.463E-05=3.286E-05
R(75oC)=0.911*R(105oC)=3E-05
If the conductor temperature remains 75oC then following IEC 60287-1-1 for skin effect we get approximately the table results.
For instance, for 100Hz xs=sqrt(8*pi()*100/3E-05/10^7)=2.894 ; ys=xs^4/(192+0.8*xs^4)=0.2828
r=(1+0.2828)*0.91=1.169
No proximity effect is taken into consideration.
If we shall follow the dr.Ray Ridley publication [see attached file] the proximity effect will be very high.

Attachments

• proximity loss in magnetics.pdf
    652.3 KB · Views: 108

1. What is the purpose of modelling a transformer and MV cable for harmonic studies?

The purpose of modelling a transformer and MV cable for harmonic studies is to analyze the impact of harmonics on the performance and efficiency of the electrical system. This helps in identifying potential issues and designing appropriate solutions to mitigate them.

2. What are the key parameters that need to be considered in the modelling process?

The key parameters that need to be considered in the modelling process include the transformer and cable specifications, load characteristics, and the harmonic sources present in the system. These parameters help in accurately simulating the behavior of the system under different harmonic conditions.

3. How is the accuracy of the model verified?

The accuracy of the model is verified by comparing the simulation results with actual field measurements. This ensures that the model is able to replicate the real-world behavior of the system and can be used for further analysis and optimization.

4. What are the common challenges faced in modelling a transformer and MV cable for harmonic studies?

Some common challenges faced in modelling a transformer and MV cable for harmonic studies include obtaining accurate data for the system components, dealing with complex and non-linear behavior, and selecting appropriate simulation tools and techniques.

5. How can the insights from the modelling process be used to improve the performance of the electrical system?

The insights from the modelling process can be used to identify potential issues and design solutions to improve the performance of the electrical system. This can include implementing appropriate filtering and mitigation techniques, optimizing the design of the transformer and cable, and selecting harmonic-resistant equipment.