Sigma Notation Help: 5+10+17+26

• Thread starter 123mathguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sigma
In summary, there are multiple ways to write 5+10+17+26 in sigma notation, such as \sum_{x\in S}x or \sum_{k=1}^4s_k. To get from the nth term to the Sn term, one way is to use the formula \S_n=sum_{b=1}^nT_b, where \T_b=2+sum_{k=1}^b2k+1. Another method is to solve a system of equations, such as a+b+c=5, 4a+2b+c=10, 9a+3b+c=17, to find the quadratic equation that fits the sequence. Lastly, "Newton
123mathguy
can some one show me how to write
5+10+17+26 in sigma notation

Mathematics news on Phys.org
do you notice anything about those numbers? From 5 how do you get to 10? from 10 how to get to 17? from 17 how to get to 26? etc

One way would be
[tex]S=\{5,10,17,26\}[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{x\in S}x[/tex]

Another:
[tex]s_1=5,s_2=10,s_3=17,s_4=26[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^4s_k[/tex]

Another:
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^4k^2+2k+2[/tex]

I can get the nth term that is

Tn=2+[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n2k+1[/tex]

but I don't know how to get from the Tn to Sn.

Last edited:
How CRGreatHouse see that or how did he trasform from the nth term to the Sn term?

[tex]\S_n=sum_{b=1}^nT_b[/tex]

where

[tex]\T_b=2+sum_{k=1}^b2k+1[/tex]

this is what I can do at most!

There is no 'unique' or 'canonical' way to do it. There are many ways. Yours (it appears to me) is fine.

cks said:
How CRGreatHouse see that or how did he trasform from the nth term to the Sn term?

I noticed that the second differences were constant, which means that a quadratic can be uniquely fitted to it. The sequence is 5, 10, 17, 26; the first differences are 5, 7, 9; the second differences are 2, 2. I then solved the system a+b+c=5, 4a+2b+c=10, 9a+3b+c=17. (I could have used 16a+4b+c=26 but didn't need it.)

Last edited:
I try some examples and see that when there's a difference of 2, then we can somewhat say that the nth term contains k^2,

well, but i fail to guess how you come out with the linear system, a+b+c=5, 4a+2b+c=10, 9a+3b+c=17.

Sorry, I have been trying hard to think about it.

cks said:
well, but i fail to guess how you come out with the linear system, a+b+c=5, 4a+2b+c=10, 9a+3b+c=17.

I'm looking for a solution to y = ax^2 + bx + c with (x, y) = (1, 5), (2, 10), and (3, 17). Substitute and you get the linear system above.

In general, you can use "Newton's Difference Formula":
If you have a sequence {an} so that a0= a, the first difference, a1- a0, is b, the "second difference" (subtract the first two first differences) is c, etc. then an= a+ bn+ (c/2)n(n-1)+ ... It looks a lot like a Taylor's series formula but you use n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-k) instead of xk.

What is sigma notation and how is it used to represent a series?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation that represents the sum of a series of terms. In this case, the series is 5+10+17+26. The symbol "Σ" is used to indicate the sum, and the index below the symbol specifies the starting value of the series (in this case, n=1). The expression after the sigma symbol represents the individual terms of the series, and the upper limit of the series (in this case, n=4) is written above the sigma symbol.

What is the value of this particular series represented in sigma notation?

The value of the series 5+10+17+26, represented in sigma notation as Σn=1^4 n^2+4, is 58.

What is the formula for finding the value of a series in sigma notation?

The formula for finding the value of a series in sigma notation is Σn=a^b c, where n is the index variable, a is the starting value, b is the upper limit, and c is the expression for the individual terms of the series. In this case, the formula is Σn=1^4 n^2+4.

What are some common applications of sigma notation in science?

Sigma notation is commonly used in science to represent the sum of a large number of values, such as in physics equations for calculating work, energy, or area under a curve. It is also used in statistics for calculating probabilities and in chemistry for representing molecular structures and reactions.

Can sigma notation be used for other types of series?

Yes, sigma notation can be used for a variety of series, including arithmetic, geometric, and infinite series. The formula for finding the value of a series in sigma notation may vary depending on the type of series being represented.