Calculate the wave number corresponding to the most energetic spectral line

• Thread starter atsum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Wave
In summary, to calculate the wave number corresponding to the most energetic spectral line in the Lyman series for the hydrogen atom, you can use the formula: [wave number = Rydberg's constant/h/c]. However, it is important to note that if Rydberg's constant is given with three significant figures, the answer should be given with the same number of significant figures. In this case, the answer should be expressed to six significant figures, which would be 10974000 m-1. It is possible that the discrepancy in your calculation could be due to this difference in significant figures.
atsum
Calculate the wave number corresponding to the most energetic spectral line in the Lyman series for the hydrogen atom.
Express your answer to six significant figures and include the appropriate units.

I use the formula:
http://i.imgur.com/YgLVY.jpg

Because the question asks the most energetic one, so
[wave number = Rydberg's constant/h/c]
I got the answer10974214m-1
But the answer is wrong.
What's wrong with my calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think the answer is wrong?

Borek said:
What makes you think the answer is wrong?

I did it in MasteringChemistry. It says the answer is wrong.

If you are given Rydberg's constant with three significant figures, you can't give the answer with eight.

Not that I am sure that's the problem, but it surely can be one.

Your calculation is incorrect because you have used the Rydberg's constant for the entire hydrogen atom, rather than just the Lyman series. The correct formula to use is:
wave number = R(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2)
Where R is the Rydberg's constant for the Lyman series (1.0973731568539 x 10^7 m^-1), n1 is the initial energy level (1 for the Lyman series), and n2 is the final energy level (2 for the most energetic line in the Lyman series).
Plugging in these values, we get:
wave number = (1.0973731568539 x 10^7 m^-1)(1/1^2 - 1/2^2) = 1.0973731568539 x 10^7 m^-1
Therefore, the correct wave number for the most energetic spectral line in the Lyman series for the hydrogen atom is 1.0973731568539 x 10^7 m^-1, expressed to six significant figures.

1. What is a wave number?

A wave number is a unit of measurement used in spectroscopy to describe the number of waves per unit distance, typically measured in reciprocal centimeters (cm^-1).

2. What is a spectral line?

A spectral line is a narrow band of light or other electromagnetic radiation, typically emitted or absorbed by a particular atom or molecule, that can be used to identify and study the chemical composition of a substance.

3. How do you calculate the wave number of a spectral line?

The wave number can be calculated by dividing the speed of light by the wavelength of the spectral line. This can be represented by the equation: wave number = 1/λ, where λ is the wavelength in meters.

4. How do you determine the most energetic spectral line?

The most energetic spectral line can be determined by looking at the intensity of the line on a spectrum. The line with the highest intensity is the most energetic as it corresponds to the highest amount of energy being emitted or absorbed.

5. Why is it important to calculate the wave number corresponding to the most energetic spectral line?

Calculating the wave number of the most energetic spectral line can provide important information about the chemical composition and energy levels of a substance. This can be useful in various fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and medicine.