Register to reply

Electrical discharge

by arauca
Tags: discharge, electrical
Share this thread:
arauca
Oct6-13, 06:11 PM
P: 11
In an environment of Argon between two electrodes at a distance about 2 millimeter a current is discharged of about 19 amps and 30 volt DC.

Which electrode get bombarded with the ion to dislodge particles of the surface ?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Synthesis produces new antibiotic: Scientists confirm potent synthesis of natural tetracycline
Scientists learn to control reactions with the shape of a rare-earth catalyst
Protein glue shows potential for use with biomaterials
UltrafastPED
Oct6-13, 07:07 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,908
The argon ions are vastly more massive than the electrons. These will be Ar+, so should be repelled by the positive terminal. Thus you want your target to be on the negative terminal.
arauca
Oct6-13, 07:29 PM
Thank you I was expecting that I needed some confirmation .
So I understand it . at time zero once the, voltage gets increased until it reaches the potential of the outer electron from Argon is removed at the Anode ( positive electrode ) then the Argon ion will go to the cathode ( negative electrode and collide with the surface and will sputter the surface of the Cathode . Do I have it rite ?

UltrafastPED
Oct6-13, 07:32 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
Electrical discharge

Yes, though a typical sputtering system is more complicated than this.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputter_deposition
arauca
Oct6-13, 08:00 PM
Sputtering is done usually at low pressure .

I have a situation of cathode to anode ratio of 40 : 1 and I have gas flowing in the area were the discharge is taking place . The anode gets eroded and I see some deposition of the anode on the cathode.
UltrafastPED
Oct7-13, 06:39 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
The other parameters are wrong for sputtering also ... but I used my experience with sputtering in the analysis.

What is your rig for?
arauca
Oct7-13, 09:56 AM
Carbon ark discharge , i nanotube production, in vertical set up.

Register to reply