WE WON PF has been nominated for physics.org award

• Praise
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, PF has been nominated for the physics.org award in both the "Best revision site" and "Best Q&A site" categories. Nominations are currently open until October 10th, and the winners will be announced at the end of October. Physics.org is a website run by the outreach team at the Institute of Physics, with the aim to inspire people of all ages about physics and guide them to the best physics resources on the web. Despite not having the same level of traffic as PF, physics.org has connections in the physics community and recognition from them would be beneficial. PF members have put in nominations and are hopeful for a win.
Physics news on Phys.org

yup sir! gave it 5 stars! :smile:
PF should win! :smile:

There is no acknowledgment from the site when you vote. Hope the votes are being tallied properly. I am using Chrome. If someone with another browser gets different results, please let me know.

yup, no acknowledgment for me too, i use firefox..

The legend said:
yup, no acknowledgment for me too, i use firefox..

yeah you just click the stars and they stay orange

yes, that happened..
cmon PF'ers vote!

They only stay orange until you go back, then you will see the *averaged rating" from then on?

Evo said:
They only stay orange until you go back, then you will see the *averaged rating" from then on?

Before I voted, PF's rating was 4 stars. I logged into physics.org, clicked PF's link, and submitted my (5-star) vote in the banner at the top of the page. Then I closed the tab and navigated back to the page via Greg's link in this thread, and PF's rating showed 5 stars, but after hitting F5 to refresh the page, the rating went back to 4 stars. :grumpy:

I wish the votes were presented numerically.

Dembadon said:
I wish the votes were presented numerically.

Hey, it's a GUI built by physicists, what do you expect lol :D

OK, good luck.

Did my best, I will ask Marzena to do the same. But I have no idea whether I really voted for something or not :grumpy:

Also, no idea if I have not voted more than once... Is it possible they have left Manhattan sized hole in the middle of the voting procedure?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Nominations are now closed. Public voting is Friday 22 October through Sunday 7 November!

Perhaps you should add the Nov 7th deadline to the PF notice?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Back to 5 stars!
I'm so proud to be a member to this forum. Thanks for all the work you've done to make this a [URL]http://www.physics.org/assets/img/template/rating-5star.gif[/URL] site.

Last edited by a moderator:

What if you vote more than once?
First, is it possible?
2. Would that cancel your original vote if it's not allowed?
3. And if it does cancel the vote, are you still able to vote again? :biggrin:

Borek said:
Did my best, I will ask Marzena to do the same. But I have no idea whether I really voted for something or not :grumpy:

Also, no idea if I have not voted more than once... Is it possible they have left Manhattan sized hole in the middle of the voting procedure?
I know. It left me feeling empty and so full of unaswered questions. :frown:

drizzle said:
What if you vote more than once?
First, is it possible?
2. Would that cancel your original vote if it's not allowed?
3. And if it does cancel the vote, are you still able to vote again? :biggrin:

Since you have to be logged-in to cast your vote, I'm assuming they keep track of which accounts have already voted.

Dembadon said:
Since you have to be logged-in to cast your vote, I'm assuming they keep track of which accounts have already voted.

Sure, but would they cancel my vote if I vote again, or they'd only dismiss the other votes I'd do?

drizzle said:
Sure, but would they cancel my vote if I vote again, or they'd only dismiss the other votes I'd do?

Not sure. :frown:

I really don't like star rating systems. I want to see numbers, dangit! :grumpy:

Okay, so, did I understand this correctly? We click the link, click on the PF thumbnail, which then brings us back to PF and we click on the five orange stars to give it five stars?

I hope that's how it works. I'd also like to know if we can vote twice.

While logged into their site, I searched "Physics Forums". Two of the results were for PF. One said that PF had 1,655 "hits" and the other said that PF had 507 "hits". And I couldn't figure out if PF had been nominated in two categories or what.

http://www.physics.org/explore-results-all.asp?q=Physics+Forum&x=0&y=0"

I have no clue if that link is going to work.

Okay, now, granted, I'm not a PhD, but shouldn't this be a little more straightforward? Anyhow, if anyone else figures out more, please share. :smile:

hmmm, i don't think so. what's the address for Physics in Action? :cool:

PF's leading as I see, the others are behind by 2 votes or 3 votes! :smile:

drizzle said:
From what I understand of the rules, you can only vote once for a particular site (though you can put in votes for more than one site in a category). My best guess is that repeat votes for a site are ignored (only the first vote counts) - second guessing is not allowed.

GeorginaS said:
Okay, so, did I understand this correctly? We click the link, click on the PF thumbnail, which then brings us back to PF and we click on the five orange stars to give it five stars?
Correct.

I hope that's how it works. I'd also like to know if we can vote twice.
One vote per site per person.

While logged into their site, I searched "Physics Forums". Two of the results were for PF. One said that PF had 1,655 "hits" and the other said that PF had 507 "hits". And I couldn't figure out if PF had been nominated in two categories or what.

http://www.physics.org/explore-results-all.asp?q=Physics+Forum&x=0&y=0"

I have no clue if that link is going to work.
The two results were due to a redundancy in PHYSICS.ORG's own 'links database'. Their database contains two links to PF, one titled 'Physics Forums' and the second titled 'Physics Forum'. Presumably different people independently submitted links to PF with different descriptions and slightly different titles. This is unrelated to the present competition.

Gokul43201 said:
From what I understand of the rules, you can only vote once for a particular site (though you can put in votes for more than one site in a category). My best guess is that repeat votes for a site are ignored (only the first vote counts) - second guessing is not allowed.

Soooo, what if I vote for other sites and give'm a rank of ONE star! Would that increase their chances of having more stars or decrease their current ranks? :devil:

Gokul43201 said:
One vote per site per person.

You mean one vote per site per user name!... [use your other e-mails people! :biggrin:]

To be honest I haven't done that, but it's possible I guess.

Gokul43201 said:
The two results were due to a redundancy in PHYSICS.ORG's own 'links database'. Their database contains two links to PF, one titled 'Physics Forums' and the second titled 'Physics Forum'. Presumably different people independently submitted links to PF with different descriptions and slightly different titles. This is unrelated to the present competition.

Good thing no one submitted 'Physics Fora' - that would just add to the confusion.

drizzle said:
You mean one vote per site per user name!... [use your other e-mails people! :biggrin:]

Other emails? What for, system doesn't send a confirmation email when you register, so probably you can just enter anything that LOOKS like an email and vote.

Now now, we want to be beyond reproach.

Borek said:
Other emails? What for, system doesn't send a confirmation email when you register, so probably you can just enter anything that LOOKS like an email and vote.

They don't send a confirmation email because, I think, they want to ease the voting system, I personally, hate the many steps I have to go through to get whatever I want from any site, it's just way frustrating, and people probably won't vote for this long reason.

drizzle said:
They don't send a confirmation email because, I think, they want to ease the voting system, I personally, hate the many steps I have to go through to get whatever I want from any site, it's just way frustrating, and people probably won't vote for this long reason.
I think it's a good idea to make the process a little more than trivial, so that people that really give a damn are likely to be the ones that vote.

And please (to everyone that wants this to be meaningful), let's not offer any ideas for cheating ... even as a joke.

Gokul43201 said:
I think it's a good idea to make the process a little more than trivial, so that people that really give a damn are likely to be the ones that vote.

And please (to everyone that wants this to be meaningful), let's not offer any ideas for cheating ... even as a joke.

:biggrin: Those were my evil moments, couldn't resist.

But I'm sure PF will take the lead without any cheats, it's a great site. o:)

GeorginaS said:

I hope that's how it works.

Me too. After I gave PF 5 stars I didn't see any "enter" button. There seems to be nothing else to do, so you just go away. Psychologically this is not good. It leaves you wondering if you actually voted or have overlooked some step.

PF is a beehive of interactive science journalism and tutoring. It is well designed to promote that, and obviously merits some kind of recognition, but the community itself is the primary reward.

So, so, so? How's this going? Did PF win yet? :biggrin: