2016 PF Member Award Ceremony

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the Hall of Legends Award was given to @mfb, the Physics Award was given to @vanhees71, the Homework Help Award was given to @haruspex, the Mathematics Award was given to @micromass, the Astro/Cosmo Award was given to @Andy Resnick, the Engineering Award was given to @jim hardy, the Other Science Award was given to @Bystander, the Guidance Counselor Award was given to @ZapperZ, the Newcomer Award was given to @ProfuselyQuarky, the Best Insight Award was given to @A. Neumaier, the Insight Writer Award was given to @PeterDonis, the Community Spirit
Happy New Year! It's been another incredible 365 days spent on PF!

Congrats to all who were nominated as it's a true honor. It should be remembered each voting list could easily have been ten times as long. We have an amazing core of members here at PF. A member may have won more than one category, but can be awarded for just one.

Thanks all who participated in the voting and commentary!

Now for a special congratulations to the popular vote winners! Winners will receive a special badge which will last the year.

Hall of Legends Award
@mfb

Physics Award
@vanhees71

Homework Help Award
@haruspex
@Simon Bridge

Mathematics Award
@micromass

Astro/Cosmo Award
@Andy Resnick

Engineering Award
@jim hardy

Other Science Award
@Bystander

Guidance Counselor Award
@ZapperZ

Newcomer Award
@ProfuselyQuarky

Best Insight Award
Misconceptions about Virtual Particles
@A. Neumaier

Insight Writer Award
@PeterDonis

Community Spirit Award
@OmCheeto

Best Humor Award
@phinds

Click here for the poll records

Last edited:
Likes ISamson, blue_leaf77, Drakkith and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, I'm really honoured to get this award! PF is so much fun, and then one gets even an award for participating in this fun (for even 366 days this year)!

Likes QuantumQuest, dlgoff, Drakkith and 4 others
Damn. Second prize in a Beauty Contest. I think OmCheeto should have gotten both the awards he won including this one given to me and I should have gotten a special "grumpy" award. Bah Humbug ! :oldlaugh: :biggrin:

Anyway, thanks to all who voted for me and congrats to all winners, especially @ProfuselyQuarky for the newcomer award.

Likes ISamson, QuantumQuest, Biker and 4 others
Thank you all!@Greg: The icon still has "2015" as alt text.

Likes QuantumQuest and Greg Bernhardt
Congratulations to @ProfuselyQuarky for winning the Newcomer Award. I am honored to have made second place in that contest. :-) :-)

Likes Drakkith, ProfuselyQuarky, vanhees71 and 2 others
Thanks, everyone! Not sure why anyone voted for me, though :D Wish I could contribute more to this awesome place. Shout out for @Math_QED, who was my choice :smile:

Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest, Drakkith, Charles Link and 2 others
phinds said:
Damn. Second prize in a Beauty Contest. I think OmCheeto should have gotten both the awards he won including this one given to me and I should have gotten a special "grumpy" award. Bah Humbug ! :oldlaugh: :biggrin:

Anyway, thanks to all who voted for me and congrats to all winners, especially @ProfuselyQuarky for the newcomer award.
Two awards would have put me over the edge this year.
Too many people already doing that, IMHO.

Hopefully, next year, they'll take my advice, and create a "Faraday award".

Likes Greg Bernhardt, Drakkith, Stavros Kiri and 1 other person
Congratulations to all the winners!

And many thanks to those who voted for me..!:smile:

Likes SammyS, berkeman, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
Congratulations to all winners! They truly deserve it! Also I' m glad I was pretty much on the right track with my votes.
Best to all!
And happy new year to all, coming very very soon! ... .. "I can see it hiding behind that corner there ..." ... "Hey!, come on out "little friend" ... don't be afraid ... we don't bite ... And I' m sure you' ll get to have your own new fresh Awards "in your time" soon! ... ! :smile::biggrin: l.o.l ..."

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt and Drakkith
Thanks, everyone!

Likes davenn and berkeman
thanks folks for the kind thoughts and words.
If my simplistic attempts at explanation have helped someone 'climb over a hump' , well , it's a small down payment on the debt i owe the universe for the generous help i got along my way.
I'm happy to see so many familiar names on the list, they are folks who've helped me ..

Thank You PF . The people here who give selflessly of their time to help others are building something unprecedented.

"Pay it Forward" ?

thanks again,

old jim

Likes vanhees71, davenn, dlgoff and 5 others
jim hardy said:
The people here who give selflessly of their time to help others are building something unprecedented.
Not only are they giving their time, they're demonstrating they care about others.

Likes Stavros Kiri, jim hardy and Charles Link

1. What is the "2016 PF Member Award Ceremony"?

The "2016 PF Member Award Ceremony" is an annual event held by the scientific organization, Physics Forums. It recognizes and celebrates the contributions and achievements of its members in the field of physics.

2. Who can attend the ceremony?

The ceremony is open to all members of Physics Forums, including moderators and administrators. Non-members may also attend as guests, but they must be invited by a member.

3. How are award recipients chosen?

The award recipients are chosen by a committee of moderators and administrators based on the contributions and impact of each member on the Physics Forums community. These may include insightful posts, helpful contributions, and active participation in discussions.

4. What types of awards are given out at the ceremony?

The awards given out at the ceremony include the "Member of the Year" award, "Rising Star" award, "Top Contributor" award, and "Best Discussion Starter" award. Special recognition may also be given for exceptional contributions in specific areas of physics.

5. How can I nominate someone for an award?

Nominations for awards are typically open a few weeks before the ceremony. A thread will be created for members to make their nominations. Nominations should include a brief explanation of why the member deserves the award. Self-nominations are not allowed.