Normalizing the spherical harmonics

Oh, thanks, I guess I needed that.In summary, the discussion focused on determining the coefficients in a recursion relation using equations provided in the original post. After a series of calculations and substitutions, a final expression for the coefficients was derived. There was some discrepancy with the answer given in the book, but it was noted that the derived expression did satisfy the recursion relation.
epsilonjon

Homework Statement

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1065/87070684.png

Homework Equations

1) [tex]L_{\pm}=\pm\hbar e^{\pm i \phi}(\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\pm i cot\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial\phi})[/tex]
2) [tex]L_{\pm}Y^m_l = \hbar\sqrt{(l \mp m)(l \pm m+1)}Y^{m \pm 1}_{l}[/tex]
3)Answer given in book: [tex]Y^m_l(\theta, \phi) = (-1)^m \sqrt{\frac{(2l+1)(l- |m|)!}{4\pi(l+ |m|)!}} e^{im\phi}P^m_l (cos\theta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Eq 1 above gives

[tex]L_{+}Y^{m}_{l} = \hbar e^{i \phi}(B^m_l e^{im \phi} \frac{\partial P^m_l (cos\theta)}{\partial \theta} + icot\theta B^m_l P^m_l (cos\theta)ime^{im \phi})[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{-\hbar B^m_l e^{i(m+1)\phi}}{sin\theta}[sin^2 \theta \frac{d P^m_l (cos\theta)}{d cos\theta} + mcos\theta P^m_l (cos\theta)][/tex]

Using the formula for the derivatives of associated Legendre functions (given in the question), this becomes

[tex]L_{+}Y^m_l = \frac{-\hbar B^m_l e^{i(m+1)\phi}}{sin\theta}[\sqrt{1-cos^2 \theta}P^{m+1}_l(cos\theta) - mcos\theta P^m_l(cos\theta)+mcos\theta P^m_l(cos\theta)][/tex]
[tex]= - \hbar B^m_l e^{i(m+1)\phi}P^{m+1}_l(cos\theta)[/tex]

But eq 2 says that
[tex]= \hbar \sqrt{(l-m)(l+m+1)} B^{m+1}_{l} e^{i(m+1)\phi} P^{m+1}_l (cos\theta)[/tex]

so combining these we get

[tex]B^{m+1}_l = \frac{-B^m_l}{\sqrt{(l-m)(l+m+1)}}[/tex]

I've checked that a few times and I'm pretty sure it's correct. Could someone confirm this please? I've then gone on to try to solve this recursion formula and got an answer, but unfortunately it's different from the one given in the book :cry:

I have noticed one thing though: when I plug in {m=-1, l=2} and {m=-2, l=2} into the book answer (given above) I get

[tex]B^{-1}_2 = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}[/tex]
[tex]B^{-2}_2 = \frac{1}{4}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}} = -\frac{1}{2}B^{-1}_{2}[/tex]

But these do not obey the recursion formula! :confused:
Thanks! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are equations 4.120, 4.121, and 4.130?

epsilonjon said:
I've checked that a few times and I'm pretty sure it's correct. Could someone confirm this please? I've then gone on to try to solve this recursion formula and got an answer, but unfortunately it's different from the one given in the book :cry:

Your math to determine that recursion relation seems solid. Walk us through your reasoning from how you got from this to the solution for the coefficients.

Last edited:
vela said:
What are equations 4.120, 4.121, and 4.130?
Ah sorry, I forgot to mention that! Eqs 4.121 and 4.130 are the first two 'relevant equations' I provided in my original post. Eq 4.120 is basically the same as Eq. 4.121 so I haven't bothered putting it.
Steely Dan said:
Your math to determine that recursion relation seems solid. Walk us through your reasoning from how you got from this to the solution for the coefficients.
Okay, but I'm warning you it's a bit long-winded! :yuck: Here goes...

First I started with the 'bottom rung' and used the recursion formula to work out the higher rung coefficients in terms of this:

[tex]B^{-l+1}_l = \frac{-B^{-l}_l}{\sqrt{l-(-l)} \sqrt{l-l+1}} = \frac{-B^{-l}_l}{\sqrt{2l} \sqrt{1}}[/tex]
[tex]B^{-l+2}_l = \frac{-B^{-l+1}}{\sqrt{l-(-l+1)} \sqrt{l-l+1+1}} = \frac{-B^{-l+l}}{\sqrt{2l-1} \sqrt{2}} = \frac{B^{-l}_l}{\sqrt{(2l)(2l-1)} \sqrt{2*1}}[/tex]
[tex]B^{-l+3}_l = \frac{-B^{-l+2}_l}{\sqrt{l-(-l+2)} \sqrt{l-l+2+1}} = \frac{-B^{-l+2}_l}{\sqrt{2l-2} \sqrt{3}} = \frac{-B^{-l}_l}{\sqrt{(2l)(2l-1)(2l-2)} \sqrt{3*2*1}}[/tex]

etc. Observing the pattern, we see that

[tex]B^m_l = \frac{(-1)^{m+l}}{ \sqrt{\frac{(2l)!}{[2l-(m+l)]!}} \sqrt{(m+l)!}}B^{-l}_l = \frac{(-1)^{m+l}}{\sqrt{(2l)!}}\sqrt{\frac{(l-m)!}{(l+m)!}}B^{-l}_l[/tex]
So now we need to find [itex]B^{-l}_l[/itex]. Using the fact that [itex]L_z = \frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}[/itex] we get

[tex]L_z Y^{-l}_l = - \hbar l Y^{-l}_l = \frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial Y^{-l}_l}{\partial \phi} \Rightarrow \frac{\partial Y^{-l}_l}{\partial \phi} = -il Y^{-l}_l \Rightarrow Y^{-l}_l = f(\theta)e^{-il \phi}[/tex]

Using eqs 1 and 2 from my relevant equations above,

[tex]L_{-}Y^{-l}_{l} = - \hbar e^{-i \phi}(\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} - icot \theta \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi})Y^{-l}_{l} = 0 \Rightarrow \frac{\partial Y^{-l}_l}{\partial \theta} = icot \theta \frac{\partial Y^{-l}_l}{\partial \phi}[/tex]

Combining this with [itex]Y^{-l}_l = f(\theta)e^{-il \phi}[/itex], we get

[tex]\frac{df}{d \theta} = lcot \theta f(\theta) \Rightarrow \int \frac{1}{f}df = l \int \frac{cos \theta}{sin \theta}d \theta \Rightarrow Ln(f) = l Ln(sin \theta) + constant \Rightarrow f(\theta) = A(sin \theta)^l \Rightarrow Y^{-l}_l = A(sin \theta)^l e^{-il \phi}[/tex]

We now need to normalize this to find A:

[tex]1 = |A|^2 \int (sin \theta)^{2l} sin \theta d \theta d \phi = 2 \pi |A|^2 \int (sin \theta)^{2l+1} d \theta = 2 \pi |A|^2 2 \frac{(2*4*6*...*(2l))}{1*3*5*...*(2l+1)}[/tex]
[tex]= 4 \pi |A|^2 \frac{(2*4*6*...*(2l))^2}{1*2*3*4*...*(2l)*(2l+1)} = 4 \pi |A|^2 \frac{(2^l l!)^2}{(2l+1)!} \Rightarrow A = \frac{1}{2^{l+1}l!}\sqrt{\frac{(2l+1)!}{\pi}}[/tex]

So we have [itex]Y^{-l}_l = \frac{1}{2^{l+1}l!}\sqrt{\frac{(2l+1)!}{\pi}}(sin \theta)^l e^{-il \phi}[/itex]. Call this equation (#).

From the original form of [itex]Y^m_l[/itex] we have [itex]Y^{-l}_l = B^{-l}_l e^{-il \phi} P^{-l}_l(cos \theta)[/itex] where [itex]P^{-l}_l(cos \theta)[/itex] is an associated Legendre function, defined by

[tex]P^{-l}_{l}(x) = (1-x^2)^{l/2}(\frac{d}{dx})^l[\frac{1}{2^l l!} (\frac{d}{dx})^l (x^2-1)^l] = (1-x^2)^{l/2} \frac{1}{2^l l!} (\frac{d}{dx})^{2l}(x^2-1)^l [/tex]

[tex]= (1-x^2)^{l/2} \frac{1}{2^l l!} (\frac{d}{dx})^{2l}[x^{2l}+...] = (1-x^2)^{l/2} \frac{1}{2^l l!} (2l)! \Rightarrow P^{-l}_l(cos \theta) = (sin \theta)^l \frac{(2l)!}{2^l l!}[/tex]

Hence [itex]Y^{-l}_l = B^{-l}_l e^{-il \phi} (sin \theta)^l \frac{(2l)!}{2^l l!}[/itex]. Combining this with equation (#) above, we get

[tex]B^{-l}_l \frac{(2l)!}{2^l l!} = \frac{1}{2^{l+1}l!} \sqrt{\frac{(2l+1)!}{\pi}} \Rightarrow B^{-l}_l = \frac{1}{2(2l)!} \sqrt{\frac{(2l+1)!}{\pi}} [/tex]

Plugging this equation for [itex]B^{-l}_l[/itex] into our equation for [itex]B^m_l[/itex] we finally end up with

[tex]B^m_l = \frac{(-1)^{m+l}}{\sqrt{(2l)!}}\sqrt{\frac{(l-m)!}{(l+m)!}}\frac{1}{2(2l)!} \sqrt{\frac{(2l+1)!}{\pi}} = \frac{(-1)^{m+l}}{2(2l)!} \sqrt{\frac{2l+1}{\pi}} \sqrt{\frac{(l-m)!}{(l+m)!}}[/tex]

which is close to the answer given in the book, but not the same :cry: However, I checked it for a few different combinations of m and l, and it does obey the recursion relation (something which the book answer doesn't seem to do!).

Thanks for your help. I'm going to lie down in a dark room...

Last edited:
So we have [itex]Y^{-l}_l = \frac{1}{2^{l+1}l!}\sqrt{\frac{(2l+1)!}{\pi}}(sin \theta)^l e^{-il \phi}[/itex]. Call this equation (#).

Everything up until here is correct, as far as I can tell (you went to the trouble of posting everything, even though it's not exactly what I was asking for, so I tried to follow everything as best as I could).

From the original form of [itex]Y^m_l[/itex] we have [itex]Y^{-l}_l = B^{-l}_l e^{-il \phi} P^{-l}_l(cos \theta)[/itex] where [itex]P^{-l}_l(cos \theta)[/itex] is an associated Legendre function, defined by

[tex]P^{-l}_{l}(x) = (1-x^2)^{l/2}(\frac{d}{dx})^l[\frac{1}{2^l l!} (\frac{d}{dx})^l (x^2-1)^l] = (1-x^2)^{l/2} \frac{1}{2^l l!} (\frac{d}{dx})^{2l}(x^2-1)^l [/tex]

[tex]= (1-x^2)^{l/2} \frac{1}{2^l l!} (\frac{d}{dx})^{2l}[x^{2l}+...] = (1-x^2)^{l/2} \frac{1}{2^l l!} (2l)! \Rightarrow P^{-l}_l(cos \theta) = (sin \theta)^l \frac{(2l)!}{2^l l!}[/tex]

There is an error here, however. What you have actually written down is the associated Legendre polynomial [itex]P^{l}_{l}[/itex]; there is an additional constant factor out front for when the [itex]m[/itex] number is negative, that you are missing here.

Steely Dan said:
There is an error here, however. What you have actually written down is the associated Legendre polynomial [itex]P^{l}_{l}[/itex]; there is an additional constant factor out front for when the [itex]m[/itex] number is negative, that you are missing here.
Ah yeah sorry, for some reason my book omits the phase [itex](-1)^m[/itex] from the Legendre function so I forgot about it. But I think all that does is change the final answer to

[tex]B^m_l = \frac{(-1)^{l}}{2(2l)!} \sqrt{\frac{2l+1}{\pi}} \sqrt{\frac{(l-m)!}{(l+m)!}}[/tex]
I've still got that pesky [itex]\frac{1}{(2l)!}[/itex] in there. I am still confused as to why the book answer does not satisfy the recursion formula though :confused: It indicates to me that the recursion formula is wrong, but I've checked it like 10 times and I swear it's correct!

Thanks for your help! :smile:

epsilonjon said:
I am still confused as to why the book answer does not satisfy the recursion formula though :confused: It indicates to me that the recursion formula is wrong, but I've checked it like 10 times and I swear it's correct!

Thanks for your help! :smile:

When I first looked at it I assumed you had calculated the coefficients incorrectly, but I just took another look at it and maybe I was wrong. I'll take a closer look later on. The negative sign in the recursion relation definitely worries me; it shouldn't be there, I think.

Last edited:
Steely Dan said:
When I first looked at it I assumed you had calculated the coefficients incorrectly, but I just took another look at it and maybe I was wrong. I'll take a closer look later on. The negative sign in the recursion relation definitely worries me; it shouldn't be there, I think.
Thanks mate, really appreciate your help.

Steely Dan said:
Sorry to bump this but was wondering whether you (or anyone else) had managed to figure it out or could give me a hint? I've gone over it again and still get the same recursion formula. It's really bugging me now :frown:

Your recursion formula is correct. It's the normalization of the associated Legendre polynomials that is confusing you, I think.

Try looking up the ##Y_2^m##'s and ##P_2^m##'s and explicitly working out what ##B_2^m## is equal to for the various allowed values of m. You should be able to see what's going on.

What is the purpose of normalizing the spherical harmonics?

The purpose of normalizing the spherical harmonics is to ensure that the functions have a consistent magnitude across different orders and degrees. This allows for easier comparison and analysis of the functions.

How is normalization achieved for spherical harmonics?

Normalization is achieved by dividing each spherical harmonic function by a normalization factor, which is calculated based on the specific order and degree of the function. This ensures that the integral of the squared function is equal to 1 over the surface of the unit sphere.

Why is normalization important in the study of spherical harmonics?

Normalization is important because it allows for a more accurate representation of physical phenomena and simplifies the mathematical analysis of spherical harmonic functions. It also ensures that the functions are well-defined and can be compared and combined with other functions.

What are some common normalization conventions for spherical harmonics?

There are several common conventions for normalizing spherical harmonics, including the Condon-Shortley phase convention and the Schmidt semi-normalization. These conventions differ in their normalization factors and can affect the overall magnitudes and phases of the functions.

Are there any limitations or considerations when normalizing spherical harmonics?

One limitation to consider when normalizing spherical harmonics is that the functions are only valid on the surface of a unit sphere and may not accurately represent phenomena outside of this surface. Additionally, the normalization process may introduce errors or artifacts in the functions, so it is important to carefully choose a normalization convention that is appropriate for the specific application.