Irradiances of polarized and unpolarized beams

• Thread starter mogul28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beams
In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of a beam of light composed of a mixture of unpolarized and linearly polarized waves. The beam is analyzed with a polarizer and the transmitted irradiance varies from a maximum to a minimum as the transmission axis is rotated. The question asks for the ratio of the irradiances of the polarized and unpolarized beams, which can be found by equating the ratio to the value of V, calculated by dividing Ip (maximum transmitted irradiance) by the sum of Ip and Iu (minimum transmitted irradiance). The resulting ratio is 1.
mogul28

Homework Statement

A beam of light is composed of a mixture of unpolarized and linearly polarized waves. The beam is analyzed with a polarizer. As the transmission axis is rotated, the transmitted irradiance varies from a maximum I[max] to a minimum of 1/3 I[max]. What is the ratio of the irradiances of the polarized and unpolarized beams?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i got the ratio as 1. can u verify my answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi mogul28! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

(same with your other three threads)

I got the ratio as 1. can you verify my answer?

mogul28 said:
I got the ratio as 1. can you verify my answer?

how do you get 1 ? :confused:

Step 1: find V
Step 2: equate that to the ratio of Ip/(Ip+Iu)

Show your work.

1. What is the difference between polarized and unpolarized light?

Polarized light refers to light waves that are confined to a single plane of oscillation, while unpolarized light refers to light waves that oscillate in multiple planes. This means that polarized light has a specific direction of oscillation, while unpolarized light has random directions of oscillation.

2. How are the irradiances of polarized and unpolarized beams measured?

The irradiances of polarized and unpolarized beams are typically measured using a device called a polarimeter. This instrument can determine the intensity and polarization state of light by analyzing the changes in the direction of the light's oscillations as it passes through a polarizing filter.

3. What factors can affect the irradiances of polarized and unpolarized beams?

The irradiances of polarized and unpolarized beams can be affected by factors such as the angle of incidence, the material properties of the medium through which the light is passing, and the wavelength of the light. Reflection and refraction at interfaces can also influence the polarization state and intensity of light.

4. How do polarized and unpolarized beams interact with matter differently?

Polarized and unpolarized beams interact with matter differently due to their different polarization states. For example, unpolarized light can be scattered in all directions by molecules in a gas or liquid, while polarized light can only be scattered in specific directions depending on the orientation of the molecule.

5. What are some applications of polarized and unpolarized light?

Polarized and unpolarized light have a wide range of applications in various fields. Some examples include the use of polarized light in liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and 3D glasses, and the use of unpolarized light in photography, laser cutting, and medical imaging techniques such as X-rays and MRI scans.