Help with Signal Processing Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a low pass analog filter using MATLAB routines and then creating a digital IIR from the analog filter. The specs for the filter are given and the student mentions using bilinear or spectral transformations to create their own module instead of using MATLAB routines. They also mention using the "specbox.m" routine to verify the specs for the filter. Then, they mention using the "filter" MATLAB function to test the filter and making frequency related observations. Finally, they discuss converting the filter into a cascade and finding the unit pulse response of the system. The student expresses difficulty with using modules and choosing a test for the unit impulse response.
Jay_

Homework Statement

1. We need to design a low pass analog filter using anyone of the MATLAB routines: buttap,cheb1ap, cheb2ap,ellipap. Find analog filter's poles, zeros, and gain. Which would be the best to use and why?

2. Design a digital IIR from the analog filter with the following specs : Pass-band ripple : +/-0.005, Lower pass-band cutoff freq. : 0.115, upper pass-band cutoff freq : 0.325, stop-band ripple : -42 dB, lower stop-band cutoff frequency : 0.082, upper stop-band cutoff frequency : 0.365. I have to use bilinear or spectral transformations - I have to create my own module for this not use the MATLAB routines.

3. We have been given a specbox.m routine and we have to use THAT to see if the specifications given are satisfied.

4. We are given a wave file P.wav, we need to use "filter" MATLAB function to test the filter we made. After filtering we need to make "frequency related observations" after listening to the filtered sound. I have no idea how I am going to do that.

5. Convert my filter into a cascade by using zp2sos and repeat filtering the sound by creating a module that implements the fundamental (direct 1) signal flow graph implementation. Then what are the observations? I need to observe:

A. Do the two filtered signals sound differently?
B. What additional test would I need to use to verify the correct functionality of my filter?

6. I need to find the "unit pulse response" of the system by designing appropriate input/output test - comment on WHY I used this method, its advantages and disadvantages.

Homework Equations

function specbox(x1,x2,y1,y2,RGB)

%
% specbox(x1,x2,y1,y2,RGB)
%
% draws an RGB colored box using the given coordinates
% in the current figure
% RGB is a vector [r g b] with 3 values between 0 and 1
%
line(x1*[1 1],[y1 y2],'Color',RGB);
line(x2*[1 1],[y1 y2],'Color',RGB);
line([x1 x2],y1*[1 1],'Color',RGB);
line([x1 x2],y2*[1 1],'Color',RGB);

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using MATLAB for the first time in my life. And the previous project on this same subject I got very low grade. I haven't used any of the functions and I have trouble using them (I will try and find out though), but if anyone can help me it would be great. Thanks :) I think the first part - creating the analog filter is straightforward.

Particularly, I don't know how to use modules and all, and I am trying to learn but given the way specbox.m has been defined to us, how would I go about verifying the given specs for the filter using that? (question 3). And the second major difficulty I think would be choosing a test to find my unit impulse response (question 6)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The buttap routine only allows me to put the order in the input arguments, how do I deal with the rest of the parameters?

1. What is signal processing?

Signal processing is the manipulation and analysis of signals, which are representations of physical quantities such as sound, images, or data. It involves techniques for extracting information from signals, filtering out unwanted noise, and transforming signals into a more useful form.

2. Why is signal processing important?

Signal processing is important because it allows us to improve the quality and usefulness of signals in various applications. It is used in a wide range of fields including telecommunications, audio and video processing, medical imaging, and data analysis.

3. What are some common techniques used in signal processing?

Some common techniques used in signal processing include filtering, sampling, Fourier analysis, wavelet analysis, and statistical signal processing. These techniques can be applied to different types of signals to extract useful information or enhance their quality.

4. What are some challenges in signal processing?

One of the main challenges in signal processing is dealing with noise and interference, which can distort signals and affect the accuracy of the analysis. Another challenge is choosing the right techniques and parameters for a specific application, as different signals may require different approaches.

5. How can I get help with my signal processing homework?

If you are struggling with your signal processing homework, there are several resources available to you. You can seek help from your classmates or professors, join study groups, or utilize online resources such as tutorials and forums. You can also consider hiring a tutor or seeking assistance from a professional signal processing service.