Air pressure and force of lift

In summary, air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air molecules, typically measured using a barometer and can affect flight by creating lift. As altitude increases, air pressure decreases and can also affect weather patterns.
spidey64
I know about Bernoulli's principle and that a difference of pressure below and above a wing create lift, but I cannot find anywhere a formula or any information on how to find the amount of lift given the surface area of the wing and the difference in pressure as a percentage of atmospheric pressure...my book is not helpful at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've found that force = area X pressure, which of course makes sense...but given that my problem gives me the difference of pressures below and above as 4% atmospheric pressure, is the pressure value in that formula .04?

I can understand your frustration with not being able to find a specific formula or information on calculating the amount of lift based on wing surface area and pressure difference as a percentage of atmospheric pressure. This is because there is no one definitive formula for calculating lift, as it depends on various factors such as air density, velocity, and wing design.

However, Bernoulli's principle does provide a fundamental understanding of how lift is generated. It states that an increase in air velocity leads to a decrease in pressure, and vice versa. This is why the shape of a wing, with its curved upper surface and flat lower surface, is crucial in creating lift. As air flows over the curved upper surface, it speeds up and its pressure decreases, creating a lower pressure area compared to the flat lower surface. This pressure difference results in an upward force, which is the lift.

To calculate the amount of lift, engineers and scientists use a combination of mathematical models, wind tunnel experiments, and computer simulations. These methods take into account various factors such as wing shape, angle of attack, air density, and velocity to determine the lift force. Therefore, it is not possible to provide a single formula that can accurately calculate lift for all situations.

In summary, while there is no specific formula for calculating lift based on wing surface area and pressure difference as a percentage of atmospheric pressure, understanding Bernoulli's principle and considering other factors can provide a fundamental understanding of how lift is generated. To accurately calculate lift, a combination of methods and factors must be taken into account.

1. What is air pressure?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air molecules above a particular point or surface. It is caused by the Earth's gravity pulling the air towards the surface.

2. How is air pressure measured?

Air pressure is typically measured using a barometer, which can be either aneroid (mechanical) or mercury-based. The unit of measurement for air pressure is typically hectopascals (hPa) or millibars (mb).

3. How does air pressure affect flight?

Air pressure plays a critical role in flight by creating the force of lift. As air moves over the curved surface of a wing, it creates an area of lower pressure above the wing and higher pressure below, resulting in a net upward force that helps an aircraft stay in the air.

4. What is the relationship between air pressure and altitude?

As altitude increases, the air pressure decreases. This is because the higher one goes, the fewer air molecules there are above a given point, resulting in lower air pressure. This is why pilots need to adjust their altimeters as they ascend or descend during a flight.

5. Can air pressure affect weather?

Yes, changes in air pressure can often indicate changes in weather. High pressure systems generally bring clear, fair weather, while low pressure systems can bring clouds and precipitation. Air pressure also plays a role in wind patterns and can affect storm formation.