Electron Speed in a TV: 0.197c

• Thread starter Myr73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
I will make sure to include relativistic effects in my calculations in the future. Thank you for the feedback!
Myr73
Electrons leave the cathode of a tv tube at essentially zero speed and are accelerated toward the front by 10, 000 V potential. At what speed do they strike the screen? Express this value also as a fraction of the speed of light.

I found-
vi=0 m/s V=10 000 V q=-1.6 X 10^-19 C (not sure if it's negative)
m= 9.1 X 10^-31 kg vf= ?(speed of light)
v(light)= 3.00 X 10^8 m/s

Delta PE= qV=(-1.6 X 10^-19 C) ( 10 000 V) = -1.6 X 10^-15 J
And then --> Delta KE= -Delta PE --> 0.5mv^2=1.6 X 10^-15
vf= SqRt{ 2(1.6 X 10^-15)/9.1 X 10^-31 = 59 295 868= 5.9 x 10^7 m/s

Fraction of speed of light --> vf/v(light)= 0.197

I am unsure if I am doing this properly-Just looking for some confirmation

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks correct.

ehild

You might have included relativistic effects. At 0.2c the error is about 2%. So admittedly it's not much.

Awesome-

or help!

I can confirm that your calculations are correct. The electrons leaving the cathode of a TV tube have essentially zero speed, but are accelerated by the potential difference of 10,000 V. This results in the electrons striking the screen with a speed of 5.9 x 10^7 m/s, which is approximately 0.197 times the speed of light. This is a significant fraction of the speed of light, indicating the high energy and velocity of these electrons in a TV.

1. What does "0.197c" mean in relation to electron speed in a TV?

0.197c refers to the speed of electrons in a TV, where c represents the speed of light. This means that the electrons are traveling at 0.197 times the speed of light.

2. How is the speed of electrons in a TV determined?

The speed of electrons in a TV is determined by the voltage applied to the electron gun, which accelerates the electrons towards the screen. The higher the voltage, the faster the electrons will move.

3. Can electrons in a TV really travel close to the speed of light?

Yes, electrons in a TV can travel very close to the speed of light, but not quite reaching it. The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, while the speed of electrons in a TV is typically around 59,000 kilometers per second.

4. Why is it important to know the speed of electrons in a TV?

Knowing the speed of electrons in a TV is important for understanding how the TV works and for troubleshooting any potential issues. It can also be useful in developing new technologies and improving the performance of TVs.

5. Is the speed of electrons in a TV constant?

No, the speed of electrons in a TV is not constant. It can vary depending on factors such as the voltage applied, the distance the electrons travel, and any external forces acting on the electrons.