Register to reply

Hooke's law - Natural Extension of Spring

by Emz19
Tags: extension, hooke, natural, spring
Share this thread:
Emz19
Apr18-14, 03:02 PM
P: 11
Can I find out the natural extension of a spring if I am only given the mass of a block that can be put on it and the value of the spring constant? I have found x ( from the formula F = -kx ) when the block is on it but I now need to find the extension of the spring with no mass on the end. It is probably really simple but I am just a little stuck! Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
ModusPwnd
Apr18-14, 03:19 PM
P: 1,072
With no mass attached, what is F? Plug that value in and solve for x. Or am I missing something?
Emz19
Apr18-14, 03:35 PM
well I thought with no mass the force is zero but then is the k equal to x? See, i was getting a big answer then for x and it didnt seem like the right answer. I am definitely missing something very obvious here

paisiello2
Apr18-14, 03:45 PM
P: 558
Hooke's law - Natural Extension of Spring

How heavy is the spring itself? Is the spring vertical or horizontal?
Emz19
Apr18-14, 03:48 PM
The spring is vertical and the question does not give the mass of the spring.
ModusPwnd
Apr18-14, 03:56 PM
P: 1,072
Quote Quote by Emz19 View Post
well I thought with no mass the force is zero but then is the k equal to x?
No, k is not equal to x in that case. Recall your algebra, you have to do the same thing to both sides to isolate the variable you want. Solve for x by doing the same thing to both sides then plug in 0 for mass/force (you can plug in the zero first, but its usually easier to solve first then plug in).
Emz19
Apr18-14, 04:15 PM
Ok great, thanks a mill :)

Register to reply