Spark with connecting power supply to board

In summary, when connecting a DC power supply to a board, a spark may occur. This is due to the inductance of the circuit and the intermittent connection. To reduce the inductance, a cap may be placed at the input of the circuit. If that does not work, a snubber may be used. If that does not work, a current limiting resistor may be used.
likephysics
When I connect a DC power supply to a board, why do I get a spark.
I connect the ground terminal first and then the Vcc terminal(24V). When I connect Vcc with an alligator clip, I get a spark.
Is it because of charging of the bulk storage capacitor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
quite possibly

what is the board ? got a pic or a circuit diagram of it ?

with the lack of info supplied, its kinda difficult to give a better answer :smile:Dave

Yes, the capacitors require the high current, but the high voltage spark occurs due to the inductance of the circuit when disconnected from the board once a current has begun to flow.

As you make the connection, there are short periods where the connection is intermittent. Once a current is flowing through the inductance of the circuit, (power supply, both jumper leads and the PCB), any break will cause a voltage spike to maintain the current. V = L * di/dt.

Likes 1 person
Baluncore said:
Yes, the capacitors require the high current, but the high voltage spark occurs due to the inductance of the circuit when disconnected from the board once a current has begun to flow.

As you make the connection, there are short periods where the connection is intermittent. Once a current is flowing through the inductance of the circuit, (power supply, both jumper leads and the PCB), any break will cause a voltage spike to maintain the current. V = L * di/dt.

As a follow up, how do you reduce the inductance.
Putting a Cap at the input of the circuit should take care of it. right?

Because the inductance is distributed about the circuit it is hard to cancel it with one capacitor.
More capacitance just makes more current to spike a higher voltage during intermittent connection.

I would first approach the problem by trying a simple snubber across the power supply output.
To make a snubber, experiment with a resistor of from 47 to 150 ohm in series with a 0.1uF capacitor.

If that does not fix the spark problem, place a snubber across the PCB also.
Beyond that, as davenn pointed out in #2, we need more information to resolve the situation.

Another approach is to connect through a current limiting resistor that charges the bulk capacitor more slowly, then short out that resistor, perhaps using a spdt switch..

Some folks use a thermistor with negative temperature coefficient. It starts out high resistance and decreases as it's warmed by the current. That gizmo is called "inrush current limiter" and works well provided your load current is enough to keep it warm.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Murata/NTPAD3R9LDNB0/?qs=0lWr15Oi7quAnacRxjwZKQ%3D%3D&gclid=CjgKEAjwoJ-dBRDbjfKN7IzN0FsSJAAP0G_D8adSQg4-rU5OudwaHYRdD6JydxdgfBcLKQd8M3PtP_D_BwE
nthpp04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I connect a power supply to my Spark board?

To connect a power supply to your Spark board, you will need to first locate the power input pins on the board. These are typically labeled with a positive (+) and negative (-) sign. Then, connect the positive and negative terminals of your power supply to these pins, making sure to match the polarity correctly. Finally, turn on your power supply to provide power to the board.

2. What type of power supply do I need for my Spark board?

The type of power supply you need for your Spark board will depend on the specific model of the board you have. However, most Spark boards require a DC power supply with a voltage range of 5-12V and a current output of at least 1A. It is important to check the specifications of your specific board to ensure you are using the correct power supply.

3. Can I power my Spark board with batteries?

Yes, you can power your Spark board with batteries. However, you will need to make sure that the voltage and current output of the batteries match the requirements for your board. It is also important to note that the batteries will need to be replaced or recharged periodically, so using a power supply may be more convenient for long-term use.

4. What happens if I use the wrong power supply with my Spark board?

If you use a power supply with the wrong voltage or current output for your Spark board, it could potentially damage the board or cause it to malfunction. It is important to always check the specifications of your board and use the correct power supply to ensure proper functioning and prevent damage.

5. Can I use a USB cable to power my Spark board?

Yes, you can use a USB cable to power your Spark board. Many Spark boards have a USB port that can be used for both data transfer and power supply. However, it is important to note that the USB port may not provide enough power for certain applications, so using a separate power supply may be necessary in some cases.