Solving Pulleys and Forces Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses an object of mass 12.5 kg hanging from pulleys and determining the force required to keep it at rest. The homework equations mentioned include Fnet = ma. The solution involves understanding that the net force must be 0 in order for the object to remain at rest and drawing free body diagrams for each pulley to correctly label the tensions in the strings and sum up the forces in both the x and y directions.
checkmarks

Homework Statement

An object of mass 12.5 kg hangs from very light pulleys as shown here:
http://i26.tinypic.com/24lq5b4.jpg
What force must be applied to the rope so that the mass stays at rest?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma...

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really clueless when it comes to this question. I know the net force must be 0 because there is no acceleration occurring b/c it must be at rest. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct by saying that the net force must be 0, since the system will be in static equilibrium.
Try drawing a free body diagram for each pulley.
If you correctly label the tensions in the strings and sum up the forces in both the x and y directions, the problem will become much easier.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question. I would approach this problem by first identifying the forces acting on the object. In this case, there are two forces: the force of gravity pulling the object downward with a magnitude of 12.5 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 (assuming standard gravity), and the tension force from the rope pulling the object upward.

Since the object is at rest, we know that the net force must be zero. This means that the tension force must be equal in magnitude to the force of gravity, but in the opposite direction. This is because the two forces are balancing each other out, resulting in a net force of zero.

Using the equation Fnet = ma, we can rearrange it to solve for the tension force, which is the force we are looking for. So, the equation becomes Fnet = m * 0, which simplifies to Fnet = 0. This shows us that the tension force must be equal to the force of gravity, which is 12.5 kg * 9.8 m/s^2, or approximately 122.5 N.

I hope this helps in solving the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your homework!

Best,

What are pulleys and forces?

Pulleys are simple machines that consist of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable. Forces are any push or pull that can cause an object to change its motion.

How do pulleys affect force?

Pulleys can change the direction and magnitude of a force. By using multiple pulleys, the force required to lift an object can be reduced.

What is the equation for calculating force in a pulley system?

The equation is F = (m1 * g)/n, where F is the force required to lift an object, m1 is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and n is the number of supporting ropes or cables.

Can pulleys increase mechanical advantage?

Yes, pulleys can increase mechanical advantage by reducing the amount of force needed to lift an object. The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is equal to the number of supporting ropes or cables.

How can I use pulleys to solve homework problems?

To solve pulley homework problems, follow these steps: 1) Identify the number of pulleys in the system. 2) Draw a free body diagram to represent the forces acting on the object. 3) Apply Newton's laws of motion to determine the net force and acceleration. 4) Use the equation F = (m1 * g)/n to calculate the force required to lift the object. 5) Check your solution and make sure it makes sense.