Converrgence of oscillating sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the convergence of an oscillating sequence. The approach involves showing that the differences between terms alternate in sign, decrease in absolute value, and approach 0. The proof also involves using the relation (1+c_{n})(1+c_{n-1})=2+c_{n-1} and showing that the terms are positive. The conversation ends with a suggestion to prove that the sequence is a Cauchy sequence to further support the proof of convergence.
haXadecimal
Convergence of oscillating sequence

Hi, I have to prove that an oscillating sequence converges, I am having some difficulty with the proof.

The sequence is [tex] c_{n+1} = \frac{1}{1+c_{n}} , c_{1} = 1[/tex]

So, I've calculated the first few terms and have seen that the sequence oscillates. I know that I need to prove:
1) The differences alternate in sign.
2) The absolute differences decrease.
3) The absolute differences approach 0.

I have proved 1, using:

[tex]
c_{n+1} - c_{n} = \left(\frac{1}{1+c_{n}}\right) - \left(\frac{1}{1+c_{n-1}}\right)
=\frac{1+c_{n-1}-1-c_{n}}{1+c_{n-1}+c_{n}+c_{n-1}c_{n}}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\frac{-(c_{n}-c_{n-1})}{1+c_{n-1}+c_{n}=c_{n-1}c_{n}}
[/tex]

And since all terms are positive, the denomenator will be positive and the difference between two terms with alternate in sign from the difference between the previous two terms.

I now am having trouble proving 2 and 3. I'm not exactly sure what to do; the example in my book is not very helpful.So far I have:

[tex]
|c_{n+1}-c_{n}| < |c_{n} - c_{n-1}|
[/tex]

but that's not much... If anyone could help, that would be great! Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that:
[tex](1+c_{n})(1+c_{n-1})=2+c_{n-1}[/tex]
By substituting [tex]c_{n}=\frac{1}{1+c_{n-1}}[/tex]

Thank you! Ok, now I have:

[tex]
|c_{n+1}-c_{n}| = \frac{|c_{n}-c_{n-1}|}{2+c_{n-1}}
[/tex]

And since all terms are positive, [tex]2+c_{n-1}[/tex] will be positive, and each absolute difference will be a fraction of the previous absolute difference. Therefore they are decreasing and they will approach 0 as n apporaches infinity. Is that enough to prove this by just saying this? Thanks!

(Is there any way to change the title of the thread? I made a typo :redface: )

Technically, I guess you should prove that the gained relations imply that we've got a Cauchy sequence, and hence, that the sequence converges (depends on what you may take as granted)

1. What is the definition of convergence in an oscillating sequence?

In an oscillating sequence, convergence refers to the behavior of the terms in the sequence approaching a specific value or limit as the sequence progresses towards infinity.

2. How is the convergence of an oscillating sequence determined?

The convergence of an oscillating sequence is determined by analyzing the behavior of the terms in the sequence as the index approaches infinity. This can be done by using various mathematical tools and techniques such as the limit of a sequence, the ratio test, or the root test.

3. What are the conditions for a sequence to converge?

In order for a sequence to converge, the terms in the sequence must approach a specific value or limit as the index approaches infinity. Additionally, the terms in the sequence must become arbitrarily close to this limit, meaning that for any small margin of error, there exists a point in the sequence where all subsequent terms fall within that margin.

4. Can an oscillating sequence converge to more than one limit?

No, an oscillating sequence can only converge to one limit. This is because the definition of convergence requires the terms in the sequence to approach a specific value as the index approaches infinity, and if the sequence has multiple limits, it cannot satisfy this condition.

5. How does the rate of oscillation affect the convergence of a sequence?

The rate of oscillation, or how quickly the terms in the sequence alternate between positive and negative values, can affect the convergence of a sequence. Generally, the faster the oscillations, the slower the sequence will converge. However, it is possible for a sequence with a higher rate of oscillation to converge faster than a sequence with a lower rate of oscillation if the latter has larger jumps between terms.